Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Cycling ammo through your XDs (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/cycling-ammo-through-your-xds-88785/)

xd45 04-14-2013 01:07 PM

Cycling ammo through your XDs

I loaded my clip and tried to hand cycle it through the XDs. It doesn't like doing it that way. Then I read in the manual about locking the slide back then insert the magazine to load the first round, if you are wanting six total in the gun. No biggie, just wondering if it is something with this gun or are all of them that way. You can cycle ammo through either of my 1911's. This gun will jam up if you try it. Maybe because of the short barrel, etc.

Thoughts appreciated. Thanks....

ares338 04-14-2013 04:41 PM

I have the same situation. I thought it would get easier the more rounds I put through it but I can cycle it by hand about every other attempt. I have 600 rounds through it so I guess I'll continue to auto cycle it. I really like this pistol though.

xd45 04-14-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ares338 (Post 1213633)
I have the same situation. I thought it would get easier the more rounds I put through it but I can cycle it by hand about every other attempt. I have 600 rounds through it so I guess I'll continue to auto cycle it. I really like this pistol though.

Thanks for letting me know. My only othr thought is, have you tried this with different kinds of ammo?

danf_fl 04-14-2013 05:10 PM

Are you talking about hand cycling an entire magazine or just the first round?

Some ammo that is taper crimped (.45, .40) do not take too well to being hand cycled repeatedly. The bullet can go back in the casing creating an over-pressure affect.

ctshooter 04-14-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xd45
I loaded my clip and tried to hand cycle it through the XDs. It doesn't like doing it that way. Then I read in the manual about locking the slide back then insert the magazine to load the first round, if you are wanting six total in the gun. No biggie, just wondering if it is something with this gun or are all of them that way. You can cycle ammo through either of my 1911's. This gun will jam up if you try it. Maybe because of the short barrel, etc.

Thoughts appreciated. Thanks....

As long as it cycles reliably while shooting I wouldn't sweat it. I have the same issue with mine if I just kind of slide the slide back, but if I really pull it back no issue.

Oh and it's a magazine or mag, not a clip. Lol

xd45 04-14-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1213666)
Are you talking about hand cycling an entire magazine or just the first round?

Some ammo that is taper crimped (.45, .40) do not take too well to being hand cycled repeatedly. The bullet can go back in the casing creating an over-pressure affect.

Really either or. I am learning with this 45. I have three other 45's that are simple to pull the slide back and put one in the barrel. With this little gun, you have to be more aggressive. My 1911 A1, 1911 Loaded Champion and my XD Service model are not like this one. I think this ole girl just needs shot a lot. Thanks all....

danf_fl 04-14-2013 07:56 PM

Always load a 1911 from the mag, never drop one in the barrel and let slide go forward forcing extractor over the casing rim.

This can cause the extractor to lose tension or break, and extraction problems occur.

orangello 04-14-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1213806)
Always load a 1911 from the mag, never drop one in the barrel and let slide go forward forcing extractor over the casing rim.

This can cause the extractor to lose tension or break, and extraction problems occur.

Don't be too hard on the 1911's; they are basically antiques.

;)

xd45 04-14-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 1213810)
Don't be too hard on the 1911's; they are basically antiques.

;)

Not the Loaded Champion 4 inch SS...I am the antique....LOL.

Crazvet 04-14-2013 08:20 PM

My little XDs doesn't like being hand cycled either, I'm guessing it has a lot to do w the higher spring rate on this very short .45, I've noticed if I don't pull the slide back forcefully all the way back the unfired round gets caught up. I'm confident that this isn't a problem to worry over, mine has never failed to put .45 hurtin power down range.