Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Conversion barrel .40 -> 9mm, gun noob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Conversion barrel .40 -> 9mm, gun noob

I've been researching pistols with the intention of buying my first, I'm almost positive that what I want is a XDm model in the .40.

However I primarily want to use and fire 9mm ammo. The .40 will be there mainly for:
- fun (mixing up the ammo types)
- so I can have a good pile of reasonably powerful ammunition without investing in large amounts of premium 9mm ammo
- in case my tastes change or I feel I need the extra weight and force of the .40
- so I can take advantage of sales or price drops due to some massive surplus for either type of ammo as they come about. I intend on keeping this gun for a long time and I'm a young man so I imagine over I'll make a good chunk of this investment back.

But, again, I do plan on making this a primarily 9mm handgun.

So as someone new to all this, I was wondering if I could have some feedback on:

1. Is it reasonable to buy a .40 with the intention of using a changed-out barrel for most of its life? Besides gun dimensions/weight and the extra cost of equipment is there any possible disadvantage in using the .40 frame to primarily shoot 9mm rounds over just getting the 9mm frame?

2. The barrels I'm looking at (from Storm Lake barrels) have some options:
-Extra length: does the stock holster accommodate the extra length of the barrel? Seems nice for a bit of extra power/accuracy. . .thoughts? Also this is a pre-requisite for:
-Ported barrels: Do they have a use beyond cosmetics? What are they all about?
-Threading. Silencers are illegal in my state, but in the event I moved or. . .something. . .as long as I'm getting an extra barrel this extra features seems like a "why not". . .sure straight up they're a little ugly but with the "thread protectors" available it seems they'd look pretty sharp. Anything further to note?

3. I've heard talk of setting the spring to 18. . .or something. I'm still not very gun-savvy what does this mean? Does it require another part, a separate spring component? If so is that easy to acquire/install?

4. Other thoughts?

Thanks for any help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #2

-Threading. Silencers are illegal in my state, but in the event I moved or. . .something. . .as long as I'm getting an extra barrel this extra features seems like a "why not". . .sure straight up they're a little ugly but with the "thread protectors" available it seems they'd look pretty sharp. Anything further to note?

I forgot to ask also: there's a number of different available threading types. Is there any middle standard that I should get? Any advice for how to decide which one to choose?

Old 10-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #3

A 9mm is a lot easier to controle, it is plenty enough power to stop a person trying to harm you, the ammo is pretty cheap which will allow you to shoot more. More practice equals better shooting.

None of this precludes my reason for wanting the .40 version too, and all are the reasons why I would, for now, primarily be using the 9mm barrel if I went this route.

I'm starting to think that I will just get the 9mm, though, and at some later date when I have more money for, well, everything, I'll get something in 10mm and then get my .40 fix from that as well.

I really, really want that Kel-Tec PMR 30 when it becomes reasonably available and if I blow my money on the conversion kit and extra .40 ammo I might not be able to get that and be comfortable with the amount of money I've been spending.

Long story short, I will probably follow your advice and just get the 9mm, but not exactly for those reasons.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:37 AM   #4

I'm still not buying until tomorrow, though, so if anyone has any information on the questions above that might make the .40 with a 9mm conversion appealing I'd listen. . .I'm still torn. . .

Old 10-10-2010, 06:13 AM   #5

Bought the 9mm. . .has more kick than I expected just from internet research, I very much doubt I'll regret this.

The difficulty of releasing a full mag was not exaggerated in my case, though, I needed some outside leverage to do it, no way was I able to do it on my own strength. Also loading a mag to the full 19 would be extremely difficult for me without the reload assister.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #6

Liked 1641 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 1094

I own many guns. From 22 lr to 44mag. But, I would never be afraid to defend myself with a 9mm. You made a good choice.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I own many guns. From 22 lr to 44mag. But, I would never be afraid to defend myself with a 9mm. You made a good choice.
Very good answer. I too own everything from 9mm to .44 Mag. My two favorite personal defense rounds are the .357 Mag or the .45 ACP but the 9mm, placed well, will get the job done every time.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:21 AM   #8

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

98% of the year, I carry a 9mm. HK or Glock.

hunting season, you'll find me with a Glock 10mm.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?