Confusion, confusion...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Confusion, confusion...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 08:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Confusion, confusion...

I had a chance to go to one of the [very rare] indoor ranges today - only just found out about it's existence, out in the backblocks of some industrial area, as befitting such evilness. In fact I think there are only 2 in Sydney, total. They had an XD Tactical (well, HS) .357SIG & M&P9L and I wanted to compare, as well as 2 different calibres can anyway.

Only at about 7m?? so you can see they are pretty bloody ordinary efforts lol

Bearing in mind I haven't shot a pistol at all since early April (our pistol range has been closed due to spurious and fallacious "ricochet" charges made by another rifle club who have been trying to undermine us) and hence the groups were pretty bad all round. The recoil on the HS compared with a 9mm was pretty nasty heh, but overall even though both targets are remarkably (crappily) similar, it seems to me the main grouping on the HS was a little higher into the middle than the Smith, even if skewed right. Unfortunately they only had the large backstrap fitted and the mag release set up for right handers, but it was pretty comfortable; a bit more than the Croatian and seemed to fit my ridiculously small hand OK. Also regained the sight picture easier with the M&P (which could well be recoil-influenced, I'm not experienced enough to know).

So, yeah. Having some second thoughts about the HS on order...the guy at the range said he doubted they would be in the country anytime soon, whereas there are quite a few M&Ps around. Would the 9mm have made a difference to the feel of the Tactical if they'd had one...What to do, what to do? damn lol

HS .357SIG 5"

M&P9L

HS

M&P

Now in a bit of confusion - I know its difficult to compare since the recoil of the larger round was far greater. Wish I could have tried out a 9mm in both...

Sorry if this is more of a rambling monologue; my natural tendency is to overthink sh*t a bit too much. I know you guys can't really give any advice much, its go with what's comfortable etc yeah I know. Trouble is, I really don't know now, heh.

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Last edited by zhuk; 07-13-2010 at 08:30 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Just being a media whore, don't mind me

Quote:
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 07-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #3

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Nice find! I'm really thinking about joining the pistol club up here, its right across the street and I'm keen to try it.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:09 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Damn man, right across the street? GO for it!

I love shooting rifle (just something about longarms hey ) but pistol is just FUN...running & shooting etc just awesome. Ya can't do that with a rifle (well not legally lol)

Quote:

Old 07-13-2010, 10:58 AM   #5

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Considering you haven't shot a pistol much, these targets are certainly respectable. The .357 Sig (like it's cousin the .40 S&W) is a very snappy round with lots of muzzle rise. While I shoot a lot of pistols, the .40/.357 is my "weakest" due to the recoil impulse and you have to work to keep it on target. I find both the 9mm and .45 much easier to shoot - especially rapidly.

As far as the M&P versus the XD, I've always preferred the XD myself. I find the trigger a tad better and it just feels better in my hand. I recently handled a buddies M&P that has had a professional trigger job and it's light years better than the stock trigger which I find a tad "vague".

First time I ever saw a 1 lane pistol range though, what do they charge you to shoot there?

Old 07-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Considering you haven't shot a pistol much, these targets are certainly respectable. The .357 Sig (like it's cousin the .40 S&W) is a very snappy round with lots of muzzle rise. While I shoot a lot of pistols, the .40/.357 is my "weakest" due to the recoil impulse and you have to work to keep it on target. I find both the 9mm and .45 much easier to shoot - especially rapidly.

As far as the M&P versus the XD, I've always preferred the XD myself. I find the trigger a tad better and it just feels better in my hand. I recently handled a buddies M&P that has had a professional trigger job and it's light years better than the stock trigger which I find a tad "vague".

First time I ever saw a 1 lane pistol range though, what do they charge you to shoot there?

Hey NGIB, many thanks for the encouragement - I really thought I did pretty rubbish today, but I shall defer to your experienced judgement I do think that I got more shots vaguely on target than I would have using the club's HK which is a goddam monster in my hand! So it just goes to show how important having something approaching a good hand-fit is

We ought to get our range time back in a few weeks so hopefully back into regular shooting again; that is competiting, not practising. Today is the first time I've ever been able to simply stand in front of a target and just do that - practice - without the adrenalin-against-the-clock-craziness (which does tend to subvert your accuracy pretty efficiently lol)

I know all the M&Ps I've handled in-shop have had triggers you felt you could almost grate cheese on but I'm told they even out well with use. Going to have to think long & hard about which really felt more comfortable; the HS seemed a heavier gun which might have helped accuracy-wise and if I can make maybe one more trip to try them again before my Permit to Acquire is issued that might help the decision making.

As for prices - it was $65 for 50 rounds 9mm & 50 .357 + gun hire, not bad considering. It does look like only 1 lane, but there are 3 'booths' all up. Needless to say, no one else was there!

Pistol shooters here are a miniscule minority: of the 5% of the total adult population who hold firearms licences, only 2% of that are pistol shooters.

Quote:

Old 07-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #7

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Actually, the $65 is much less than I expected. The same outing at my local range (using their ammo & gun) would cost $40-$45. Shooting their ammo is always costly even though my local hangout really sells for decent prices. As I bring all my own stuff, I just pay the lane fee with is $10 for the entire day. Here's a pic of me at a pin shoot at my range in Dec 08...

pinshoot.jpg  

Old 07-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Nice photo, the falling pin is really effective. I also like the ceiling-holes

Have an idea I got a discount on the gun hire, but I was suprised it wasn't more expensive too. Usually everything here is

Quote:

Old 07-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

FWIW, I used to put my shots to the right as well. I had to work on my grip and my front sight alignment.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Nice looking range there Z!
I also like that front site on the HS.

Those groups don't look so bad to me. It would be cool if you could side-by-side the two pistols in 9mm, but that sounds like a long shot.

So, if you get the HS and don't LOVE it, can you sell it to another club member or back to the shop or what?