Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Concealed Carry Holster for Big Man (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/concealed-carry-holster-big-man-23061/)

Scaramouche 02-05-2010 05:16 AM

Concealed Carry Holster for Big Man
 
Hi, Guys.

I'm going to buy an XD45 Compact for concealed carry, and I'd like to hear from other big fellows what has worked for them. I'm 6'1, 260, and I need to lose 50 pounds. So, an IWB, no matter how great it works for a 160-pounder, it's not gonna work for me. I'd like a paddle design, something I could slip off my belt when visiting the bank and easy to slip back on, afterwards. Or, I'm open to suggestions.

I wear a strong side holster for range work with an H&K Tactical USP, and I used to wear XD's (Fobus) supplied holster when shooting my XD9 (my wife has claimed this piece for her own). My concealed carry is a pocket pistol, and I've never carried heavier pistols.

I know these forums inevitably have some guy's pictures of the 40 oz. Colt 1911 he carries on his hip, the Kimber .45 in his crossdraw, and the .357 mag S&W revolver in his pocket. Not to mention knives, lights, extra mags, and continued arsenals in briefcases or fanny packs. Personally, I believe each one of these folks must have seen some heavy stuff go down, or they're completely paranoid about every breath. I know we have to remain alert, but this is not me.

So, I'm looking for something truly concealable with a shirt untucked, or tucked with a light vest over it etc. The Comp-Tac might work. Something thin, light, unbulky.

I live in the Asheville, NC, area; so, if there's someone here with a drawer full of discarded holsters, I'd be up for trying some of those out, too.

Thanks.

canebrake 02-05-2010 09:04 AM

Cross Breed Holsters - SuperTuck Deluxe

Trust me, you can wear IWB comfortably ALL day!

I carry in my XBreed SuperTuck Deluxe BHP, Colt 1911 Defender, Colt Government and even with the 460 Rowland barrel!

SuperTuck Deluxe

utf59 02-05-2010 11:07 AM

I'm 6'2" and 230. I can carry IWB, but I just don't like it. I also carry in a paddle holster because I have to take it off to go into the building where I work.

I carry a Glock 30 OWB with an untucked shirt (button style for me).

My favorite holsters are the BLACKHAWK! Serpa and the iTAC. I also have a DeSantis Viper that I like pretty well.

Hope this helps.

Scaramouche 02-05-2010 11:51 PM

Thanks from Big Man
 
Thanks for the tips, Canebreak & UTF59.

So far, UTF's paddle ideas seem to make sense for my style. But Canebreak, I'd like to know the details of wearing this SuperTuck Deluxe. It looks like a very large, bulky corset, and I gather one must have the room in one's waistband - which I don't always have - to be able to shove this harness inside with 2+ pounds of pistol inside.

Even for smaller men, that thing looks like it would be unbearable on a hot day. And it looks so deep that it must feel like a wedged rock on the strong side when driving. It can't be comfortable. I guess I do not understand the body mechanics of wearing such a rig. If you have time, I'd like some detail as to how you achieve it. I don't care that it's ugly, and I respect that so many people like it, but are you near my size, Canebreak, and would you really recommend that for all body types?

Thanks again.

gorknoids 02-06-2010 04:04 AM

I carry IWB at 1:00 with an XD 9 and quite honestly would have to be water boarded before I changed. Concealment is maximized (It just doesn't print) and I can do everything but play on a Slip-N-Slide without it interfering with my movements. I'm 6', 200 lbs. I've modified an Uncle Mike's holster so that when I draw I get a solid grip, and aside from the improbable potential for shooting myself in the femoral artery (Or blasting Big Jim and the Twins into oblivion) I have no overriding safety concerns.
That's just me, though.

N.D. 02-06-2010 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scaramouche (Post 225384)
Thanks for the tips, Canebreak & UTF59.

So far, UTF's paddle ideas seem to make sense for my style. But Canebreak, I'd like to know the details of wearing this SuperTuck Deluxe. It looks like a very large, bulky corset, and I gather one must have the room in one's waistband - which I don't always have - to be able to shove this harness inside with 2+ pounds of pistol inside.

Even for smaller men, that thing looks like it would be unbearable on a hot day. And it looks so deep that it must feel like a wedged rock on the strong side when driving. It can't be comfortable. I guess I do not understand the body mechanics of wearing such a rig. If you have time, I'd like some detail as to how you achieve it. I don't care that it's ugly, and I respect that so many people like it, but are you near my size, Canebreak, and would you really recommend that for all body types?

Thanks again.

I'm not cane but I can say that I am a very well rounded guy! lol

I have worn the Crossbreeds and I Daily CCd a 5" DW custom in a Crossbreed SOB "very comfortably" (loved it! But it did scuff the Sh!t out of my 1911 & I didn't like that!) and I even CC'd a G23 in a Crossbreed SOB very comfortably and now I am Daily CC 'ing a Kahr P45 in a Crossbreed Super tuck Deluxe pretty comfortably, Now I am 5'7" and weigh about 250lbs and am likely much rounder than you so . . . this nxt bit could be helpful to you!

When I carry for comfort I carry between 4:30 and 5:30 on my belt line, with just about as much cant as I can get at 5:00 on to 5:30 because it speeds my draw and reduces printing and is more comfortable for me at an extreme angle.

But my best concealment occurs at about 2:00-3:00 with a straight up no cant or maybe even a little negetive cant depending on exact position but it is very uncomfortable in this area on my belt while seated, or if I have to bend even a little.

The Hands down most comfortable I've ever CC'd was my Kahr P45 or my .45/410 Derringer in my Carhart coat pocket!

The most comfortable waistline CC was my G23 at about 5:00 Mexican carry but it was also the most unsecured and unstable carry and required very frequent adjustment and that repetitive adjusting will give you away lots quicker than a little bit of printing not to mention it is very Dangerous and can cause an AD/ND situation with you being most likely to get acquainted W/ the both the bullet and the local LEO's! :o :(

Really though you may have to and "you should" try at least several different CC rigs to try to find what works best for you, but IMHO Crossbreed while not perfect is definitely not a bad place to start at all!

Note:

To carry a Hi-cap (XDC) or duty sized gun IWB (best for Concealment) you need about a 2" longer Belt than you use W/O a weapon; get a Really Good Gun belt!
"I use a Kramer Horse Hide belt" and your pants should also go up a size if you don't wear them pretty loose already.

Note2:

I have been CC 'ing various types of weapons incl. pistols since I was a teen and I am over 40 now so I have just a little bit of experience at being armed and not being noticed and being as comfortable as possible while doing it for long periods of time!

I really hope this will help you out good luck!

N.D. ;)

Phelenwolf 02-06-2010 04:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I am also a big guy. 6'1" about 300lbs, I use a Milt Sparks holster for my IWB and have no problem carrying my XD45C or my Service Model. Just because your are big does not mean that you can not wear your weapon IWB. I have very broad shoulders so that helps me alot, just wear a bigger size pair of pants and shirt, you should have no problem at all.

NitroxAZ 02-08-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 224974)
Cross Breed Holsters - SuperTuck Deluxe

Trust me, you can wear IWB comfortably ALL day!

I carry in my XBreed SuperTuck Deluxe BHP, Colt 1911 Defender, Colt Government and even with the 460 Rowland barrel!

SuperTuck Deluxe

+1 - I am 6'0" and 270 and carry my XD45 Service in the CrossBreed Supertuck. I have it at a cant forward in the following configuration: Front clip 3 holes up and the rear clip at the hole on the bottom. I wear this at about the 3:30 position. These are comfortable new and break in wonderfully. Also if this is your first CCW, the following will also help:

1) Use a good stiff gun belt. This makes a HUGE difference as opposed to a regular belt. You will be surprised. It will keep the gun tighter to your body.
2) Wear large shirts that do not pull tight against your body.
2) Dark shirts with patterns seem to conceal better.

Scaramouche 02-09-2010 04:48 AM

Thanks to all
 
Thanks, everybody for all the input on a carry rig for un hombre grande. Whenever I get my pistol, I'm going to take the advice of Cane and others who suggest, despite my misgivings, that a Super Tuck Delux and a good belt is a good rig to try. When I get set up, carry for awhile, I'll supply a mini review.

Gracias, amigos!

N.D. 02-09-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scaramouche (Post 227101)
Thanks, everybody for all the input on a carry rig for un hombre grande. Whenever I get my pistol, I'm going to take the advice of Cane and others who suggest, despite my misgivings, that a Super Tuck Delux and a good belt is a good rig to try. When I get set up, carry for awhile, I'll supply a mini review.

Gracias, amigos!


You're very welcome, and I hope I was able to be of some help to you.

N.D.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:25 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.