Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Chock one up for XD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 02:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Chock one up for XD

I was at the range with buddies. I've only shot small caliber pistols a few time in my youth. Now I'm in the market for a handgun. One of my buddies brought his Glock 22 and a 9mm barrel.

I've always heard Glocks are 'the best.' Not this one! It was the most inaccurate pistol I've ever fired. I couldn't even call the bullet holes a grouping. They were all over the place.

Now before all the nay sayers (Glock Owners) that read the XD threads. We were bench shooting on a rest. I know that's not an exact science but its what we had. Plus, we were firing factory loads not hand loads. There were 4 other shooters; one an active Army Infantry Corporal, who knows his firearms. This Glock = Terrible accuracy.

Another had his XD 9 service. Not a single shot went were it wasn't planned. Great groupings.

My money is going to an XD

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2012, 02:44 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4465 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

i would suggest checking the xdm out they are a bunch of small refinements and improvements over the xd series that add up to one super sweet upgraded gun

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-28-2012, 02:44 AM   #3

I'm not a Glock fan but I know lots of people that are and they are great firearms so maybe it was just something with this particular gun. HOWEVER, I think you made a great choice with the XD. My buddy is an Army Ranger and uses a Beretta 92 (his service issue), a Glock, and a Springfield XD. He put 100% endorsement behind the XD so that's what I bought and I love mine. Great balance even when the chamber is almost empty (what really turned me off front the Glock) and much more accurate than me at this point.

Which one are you looking to buy?

Old 01-28-2012, 03:24 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i would suggest checking the xdm out they are a bunch of small refinements and improvements over the xd series that add up to one super sweet upgraded gun
Quote:
Originally Posted by bub72ck View Post
Which one are you looking to buy?
I've looked into the XD and XDm 9mm. I'm not discounting the upgrades from the XD to the XDm. However, I just cant justify the large price difference I'm finding between the two models for my needs/wants.

The model(s) I'm leaning towards is:
XD 9mm 3" w/ extended mag 50%
XD 9mm 4" 50%

POU: Target shooting, home defense, and if Illinois lifts their CC band, PP
Why 9mm? Less costly to fire. Practice..Practice..Practice makes better
Why 9mm for CC? Size of caliber doesn't really matter. Location of shot does.

This will not by my 'buy all, end all' pistol. I will purchase more but I think this is a great 'starter' gun.

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."

Old 01-28-2012, 04:09 AM   #5

Liked 1949 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 4282

Springers are hard to beat, go on and get it...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 01-28-2012, 04:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnHiker View Post
I've looked into the XD and XDm 9mm. I'm not discounting the upgrades from the XD to the XDm. However, I just cant justify the large price difference I'm finding between the two models for my needs/wants.

The model(s) I'm leaning towards is:
XD 9mm 3" w/ extended mag 50%
XD 9mm 4" 50%

POU: Target shooting, home defense, and if Illinois lifts their CC band, PP
Why 9mm? Less costly to fire. Practice..Practice..Practice makes better
Why 9mm for CC? Size of caliber doesn't really matter. Location of shot does.

This will not by my 'buy all, end all' pistol. I will purchase more but I think this is a great 'starter' gun.
I agree and the 4" was my first gun. I will be getting my CC permit in March but don't plan to conceal very much on my person. It will mainly be used as bedside HD and to carry in the car on trips. If I really like CC I will look at a sub compact but the 4" seemed to be the best for lots of target shooting and as you said the 9mm is much cheaper to shoot. I do now want a 1911 as well.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The XD .45 ACP w/ the 5in barrel was the first gun I purchased and I must say it was the best choice I could of made. Since then I've purchased other handguns but the XD is hard to beat. I've also brought others w/ me to the XD including my chief who bought his first gun a 9mm XDM compact.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #8

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I have an XD .45 XD 5in tactical model, an XDM .45 3.8, and a Glock 27. All of which are very accurate and I love all of them. One of the big differences in the XD and the XDM that I immediatley noticed when I purchased the XDM was the length of trigger pull and reset, which was greatley reduced in the XDM to an almost perfect out of the box factory trigger.
Now my XD had such a long trigger pull and reset that I needed to concentrate very hard on my trigger pull while shooting, I recentley took care of that by putting in a PRP trigger which reduced length of pull and reset. The new trigger made it so much more accurate for me that its scary accurate.

My G27 is my primary CCW. It is also very accurate and has one of the best Out of Box factory triggers. One of the really good things about Glock is that every shop whether it be online or store carries Glock accessories. I sometimes have trouble finding things for my Springfields, which is not as bad as it used to be. People are starting to carry alot of both.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:45 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

XDs and Glocks are both great guns. So are M&Ps, for that matter. It might have been that particular gun was off, especially with a conversion barrel. Or it might have just been a mix of you and the gun. I shoot Glocks and XDs well (especially my XDM), but if I pick up an M&P, my groups instantly spread.

If you and the gun work well together, get it.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 01-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #10

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bub72ck View Post
I agree and the 4" was my first gun. I will be getting my CC permit in March but don't plan to conceal very much on my person. It will mainly be used as bedside HD and to carry in the car on trips. If I really like CC I will look at a sub compact but the 4" seemed to be the best for lots of target shooting and as you said the 9mm is much cheaper to shoot. I do now want a 1911 as well.
I've carried an XD-40 service (4" bbl) for years and, depending on your physiology and method of carry, it can be concealed very well.

I personally use a CrossBreed SuperTuck Deluxe IWB holster at 3 o' clock, and have never been "busted."

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation