Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   carrying in warm weather (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/carrying-warm-weather-90615/)

mptoth 05-13-2013 02:28 PM

carrying in warm weather

I recently purchased an xdm 3.8 in 45.coming up to summer time in pa here and its gonna get hot soon. Im a bigger guy, 6'1" 265lbs and am trying to figure out my best option to carry this firearm. Any and all suggestions and advice are welcome, i am new to carrying so im still working on my knowledge regarding ccw in general. Thanks all

Doc3402 05-13-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mptoth (Post 1245313)
I recently purchased an xdm 3.8 in 45.coming up to summer time in pa here and its gonna get hot soon. Im a bigger guy, 6'1" 265lbs and am trying to figure out my best option to carry this firearm. Any and all suggestions and advice are welcome, i am new to carrying so im still working on my knowledge regarding ccw in general. Thanks all

I go with a DeSantis Sof-Tuk for my Glock and my 1911. It's a rough finished leather that doesn't ride up like nylon. It also has a more discrete and secure "J" hook belt clip. The thing I like the most though is the adjustable cant. You can look at something similar HERE. As I always recommend, go to your local DeSantis dealer with your unloaded and secured firearm and try the holster for fit. There are times when the holster sold for a certain model is too tight to be usable.

Please let me throw another $0.02 in here. Be very careful with IWB holsters. Your safest bet in my opinion is to holster the firearm, put the holster in place, and then fasten the pants. Holstering the firearm with the holster in the waistband and the pants fastened increases the risk of a negligent discharge, which will ruin your day in ways you don't want to imagine.

mountainman13 05-13-2013 02:53 PM

An iwb is probably your best bet next to buying a pocket gun for summer carry.

towboater 05-13-2013 03:08 PM

I reholster with my thumb on the back of the slide to prevent it from moving.
I wear loose fitting, untucked shirts.

mptoth 05-13-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc3402 (Post 1245331)

I go with a DeSantis Sof-Tuk for my Glock and my 1911. It's a rough finished leather that doesn't ride up like nylon. It also has a more discrete and secure "J" hook belt clip. The thing I like the most though is the adjustable cant. You can look at something similar HERE. As I always recommend, go to your local DeSantis dealer with your unloaded and secured firearm and try the holster for fit. There are times when the holster sold for a certain model is too tight to be usable.

Please let me throw another $0.02 in here. Be very careful with IWB holsters. Your safest bet in my opinion is to holster the firearm, put the holster in place, and then fasten the pants. Holstering the firearm with the holster in the waistband and the pants fastened increases the risk of a negligent discharge, which will ruin your day in ways you don't want to imagine.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I had that thought in my mind regarding holstering the firearm with the holster on the pants already. I cant see myself having any reason to remove it aside from bedtime or going to the range. Thanks again

Doc3402 05-13-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mptoth (Post 1245533)
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I had that thought in my mind regarding holstering the firearm with the holster on the pants already. I cant see myself having any reason to remove it aside from bedtime or going to the range. Thanks again

That's about the only time you would normally have to remove it other than a potty break or going somewhere concealed carry is not allowed.

The KingTuk style of holsters are very comfortable, and they do protect the firearm from sweat, but to a great extent so does the SofTuk. I personally have two problems with the KingTuk style. The first one is the belt clips. I have yet to see one with the "J" hook, which I greatly prefer.

The other reason I have has to do with a shoulder problem. I have a partially torn rotator cuff. The larger leather backing on the KingTuk style tends to squeeze the firearm when it bends around my body. This makes the holster hold the firearm more snugly, which makes drawing painful.

Don't get me wrong, they are great holsters. I just have a medical problem that knocks them down a few points on my favorites list.

mptoth 05-13-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc3402 (Post 1245552)

That's about the only time you would normally have to remove it other than a potty break or going somewhere concealed carry is not allowed.

The KingTuk style of holsters are very comfortable, and they do protect the firearm from sweat, but to a great extent so does the SofTuk. I personally have two problems with the KingTuk style. The first one is the belt clips. I have yet to see one with the "J" hook, which I greatly prefer.

The other reason I have has to do with a shoulder problem. I have a partially torn rotator cuff. The larger leather backing on the KingTuk style tends to squeeze the firearm when it bends around my body. This makes the holster hold the firearm more snugly, which makes drawing painful.

Don't get me wrong, they are great holsters. I just have a medical problem that knocks them down a few points on my favorites list.

I can understand the shoulder issue, I have dislocated my shoulder a few times which has left it either sore or weak about 75 percent of the time so I can appreciate that. I just ordered a holster from firearmholster.com there were great reviews of thw holster and thw price was great. Im excited to get it and give a review which im sure will be a good one. I am intrigued by the "j" hook clamps you mentioned. Do the desantis holsters you mentioned before have that feature?

mptoth 05-13-2013 10:23 PM

Ok I did see the desantis site finally and understand what your j hook clamps look like, I can definitely get into that

Doc3402 05-13-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mptoth (Post 1245745)
Ok I did see the desantis site finally and understand what your j hook clamps look like, I can definitely get into that

I love them. There may be some people out there that don't know what they are, so please bear with me a minute.

Most IWB and other clip on holsters have a spring clip. On the IWB holster the spring clip goes over your belt to keep the holster from falling down your leg. There are two problems with the spring clip. The first is that it's visible if you tuck your shirt in. The second is that they make the holster fairly easy to remove. In theory you could end up drawing both the firearm and the holster during a stressful moment.

The "J" hook is a totally different animal. The "J" hook goes between your belt and your pants with a hook on the end to come up under the bottom of your belt. They are almost always made of a very strong plastic, but I have seen metal ones.

So, the top of the hook goes over the top of your pants to keep the holster from sliding down your leg. The bottom of the hook goes under your belt between the pants and belt and has a hook for retention. Unless you wear your belt abnormally loose it is almost impossible to draw both the firearm and the holster. Your belt keeps the holster down, your pants keep the holster up. Because the majority of the hook outside your pants is behind your belt it is also less obvious than a spring metal clip.

mptoth 05-14-2013 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc3402 (Post 1245769)

I love them. There may be some people out there that don't know what they are, so please bear with me a minute.

Most IWB and other clip on holsters have a spring clip. On the IWB holster the spring clip goes over your belt to keep the holster from falling down your leg. There are two problems with the spring clip. The first is that it's visible if you tuck your shirt in. The second is that they make the holster fairly easy to remove. In theory you could end up drawing both the firearm and the holster during a stressful moment.

The "J" hook is a totally different animal. The "J" hook goes between your belt and your pants with a hook on the end to come up under the bottom of your belt. They are almost always made of a very strong plastic, but I have seen metal ones.

So, the top of the hook goes over the top of your pants to keep the holster from sliding down your leg. The bottom of the hook goes under your belt between the pants and belt and has a hook for retention. Unless you wear your belt abnormally loose it is almost impossible to draw both the firearm and the holster. Your belt keeps the holster down, your pants keep the holster up. Because the majority of the hook outside your pants is behind your belt it is also less obvious than a spring metal clip.

Have you seen any other brands using this style clip? Ive done some extensive searching to find a holster I really like and after seeing this j hook iwb style I think it would be a good investment. I can shoot either lefty or righty but I have yet to really find my comfort zone.