Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Carry opinions XDM's (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/carry-opinions-xdms-29377/)

trainer343 07-16-2010 01:30 PM

Carry opinions XDM's

Hello
I am looking for some opinions on the XDM pistols.
I am used to carrying a 1911 or a glock for many many years but I kinda am taking a liken to the SDM's.

My question is without starting a brand war or anything, My 1911's and my glocks have been 100% in reliability my carry ones anyway.
From some experienced owners of the XDM
can I expect the same results as glocks or 1911's as my experience has found?
I am getting very serious about adding a XDM 45 ACP to my carry line up. I think they shoot very very accurate and I even like the stock trigger. The trigger seems to be a little bit of a heavy pull compared to what I'm used to but is quite smooth so even at 6.5 lbs it just don't feel that heavy.

So how about it what does your experience tell you about the XDM's offered from Springfield?

VR4 07-16-2010 02:21 PM

Hi trainer343,

I own a XDm 9 and XDm 40. I have 10,200 rounds through my XDm 9 and only 500 through my XDm 40 so I would say 100% IMO for the XDm 9 but can't say that about the XDm 40 as I only have 500 rounds through it.

I would recommend buying extra striker retainer pins as they are known to brake and I've experiance this with my XDm 9 around 8,000 rounds. I dry fired it everyday with snap caps as I compete in IDPA.

The XDm 45 is new so I have no experiance with it but if it's like the other XDm's I would say it would be good to go.

The funny thing is I switched from carrying a XDm to a 1911 and would not go back. I feel the 1911 is slimmer and I felt less weight on the hip then carrying the XDm but I'm 165LB so maybe that has something to do with it.

trainer343 07-16-2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VR4 (Post 315836)
Hi trainer343,

I own a XDm 9 and XDm 40. I have 10,200 rounds through my XDm 9 and only 500 through my XDm 40 so I would say 100% IMO for the XDm 9 but can't say that about the XDm 40 as I only have 500 rounds through it.

I would recommend buying extra striker retainer pins as they are known to brake and I've experiance this with my XDm 9 around 8,000 rounds. I dry fired it everyday with snap caps as I compete in IDPA.

The XDm 45 is new so I have no experiance with it but if it's like the other XDm's I would say it would be good to go.

The funny thing is I switched from carrying a XDm to a 1911 and would not go back. I feel the 1911 is slimmer and I felt less weight on the hip then carrying the XDm but I'm 165LB so maybe that has something to do with it.

I agree with you about the 1911 a lot of people think they are way to heavy and big to carry however they are so well balanced and slim to ride close to the body that just makes them feel really good.
I carry a Springer TRP most of the time when I choose 1911 if you don't mind me asking what did you move to in a 1911?

VR4 07-16-2010 02:48 PM

The same. A TRP AK 1911. I love it. It's a great 1911 and I compete in gun game's with a Trophy Match 1911.

spittinfire 07-16-2010 03:13 PM

I'm an XD fan. My first pistol was an XD45. I tried to carry it as well as an XD9 sub compact and found them just too bulky. They are great pistols and will eat anything I feed them so reliabilty was not an issue. They feel good in my hands, are accurate, high capacity but I'm 6' and weigh 180lbs and they are just too bulky for my to hide well. I'm now carrying a Kimber pro carry and couldn't be happier. It's thin and disappears with just a t shirt.

sweeper22 07-16-2010 05:44 PM

You shouldn't have any problems with the function of an XDM.

The real issue is whether the size and weight are deterrents when it comes to carry. Full framed XDMs are quite heavy for poly guns. Their weight of 2lbs is 50% more than many of their competitors. The 3.8 versions are only marginally lighter. For some, this is not a problem. For others, it's a deal breaker.

Dgunsmith 07-18-2010 04:02 AM

I have had zero issued with my XDM 40 ....just waiting for my Milt Sparks Summer Special was painful. 100 % reliable and the extra capacity is comforting....one spare mag and I am ready to roll.

ScottA 07-18-2010 04:52 AM

Love my XDm 40. Have had no problems with it, and it makes me look like a far better shooter than I am.

roosterjuicer 07-18-2010 01:50 PM

I think XD's are great guns.

I do not own one despite many "near buys" at the gun store simply because I like Glocks more.

When i got my CCW i shot both a glock 26 and the subcompact version of the XD-9. I ultimately chose the glock because that is what I am used to and because I shot better with it and liked the trigger more.

Subectively, I also chose the glock because it is slightly smaller than the xd. the hardest part of a pistol to conceal is its "height", ie. the distance between the bottom of the handle to the top of the slide. When you put the guns on top of each other, the glock is noticeably smaller.

One thing i like about the XD for concealment compared to the Glock and the only reason i even occasionally consider purchasing and XD is the additional safety. I like the idea of having the grip safety in addition to the trigger safety.