You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum >

Big hands - small gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2015, 10:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Big hands - small gun

I'm out to purchase my first firearm and have narrowed it down to the XD in 9mm. The problem I have is I can't decide between the 3 or 4 inch models. I've shot both about a year ago and felt ok with each however the range master did add a mag extension to the subcompact for added comfort/control for me during my round.

I do want a gun that I can conceal and also keep bedside. I feel like the 4 inch will print more due to the longer grip so I'm hesitant to go with that option for that reason.

I'm leaning towards going with the subcompact and adding some Pearce grip extensions or similar accessories to gain some more length on the grip while at the range etc. then just going with a flush mag while I carry.

Two different range masters I've spoke with both recommended the 4 inch to me so now I'm stuck debating again.

Anyone here have pretty big hands and own a XD9 in 3inch? What do you do if anything to get a good grip on the gun? Still happy with the choice not to go 4 inch?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2015, 11:12 PM   #2

Liked 562 Times on 322 Posts

Enter the "You should get a Glock 19" responses.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:17 PM   #3

I would suggest the Sig 320. Best 'out the box' trigger I've felt on a non-1911 gun.
Big hands - small gun - XD Forum

Old 06-07-2015, 11:23 PM   #4

Liked 157 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy36 View Post
Enter the "You should get a Glock 19" responses.
I agree, the G19 is comfortable with my large hands and still conceals nicely. Also a great shooter.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:45 PM   #5
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1468 Times on 773 Posts
Likes Given: 634

People, read the post. There are TWO requirements to respond: BIG HANDS, and OWN a Springfield XD9, 3" ONLY. He's not asking for suggestions on other guns. Please stay on topic or start a completely separate thread to address your questions or concerns. Thank you.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 06-07-2015, 11:56 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6245 Times on 4129 Posts
Likes Given: 3210

You are on the right track, because you have ruled out thumb safety. My hands are medium, and I can handle the smallest of double action pistols such as the Seecamp. Your hand is larger, so is the XD9. I don't know what your fingers and coordination are like. Try both sizes, draw out of pocket.

It is easy for an advisor to recommend a larger gun because it is a safer choice for a shootout. You are the one who will carry it on your person, and likely never fire in anger. Get comfy!

Old 06-08-2015, 01:10 AM   #7

Steering a person away from a specific gun to another that would suit them better (that they may not know) is a positive thing and should not be frowned on. I've owned all three. I know. And currently, I have the XDS with a 4-inch barrel. There are reasons I'd suggest a person pick one of the other two guns...but it appears we aren't allowed to talk about them.
Big hands - small gun - XD Forum

Old 06-08-2015, 01:22 AM   #8

I do appreciate the suggestion. In fact I've somewhat had my eye on a sig 2022 as my second gun purchase. Being that the sig is just about a 4 inch also makes me really want to go with the subcompact XD so eventually I'll have a 3 and 4 inch 9.
As the first gun goes however I'm set on the xd. Just curious on the opinions and suggestions of those who have larger hands what they use to make the subcompact more manageable.

Thanks all.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:07 AM   #9

Your best option are Pierce grip extensions, which work great. Keep in mind there is no one trick pony. The gun you carry, if small, won't be overly fun at the range. Small = muzzle flip and short barrels = less accurate. A big heavy gun with a 5-inch barrel is fun to shoot but you won't carry it. 4-inch is a nice middle ground.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:20 AM   #10

Liked 2514 Times on 1348 Posts
Likes Given: 1479

I have big hands. I am 6' 2"+. I carry a Kahr CM9 in my front pocket. Not trying to change your mind. The Kahr is about as small a 9mm as you will find. There are smaller. But not by much. And not many. If you want a gun that you will carry get the small one. You can always get a longer mag later. If you get the bigger gun you cant just take a hacksaw to it. If you do not plan on carrying buy the bigger one. It is just too easy to throw a pocket gun into you pocket with a pocket holster. I never leave home without it.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.