Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   best 9mm carbine to go with me xdm9 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/best-9mm-carbine-go-me-xdm9-35459/)

mach1337 12-11-2010 03:33 PM

best 9mm carbine to go with me xdm9

so I have been looking at a carbine to go with my xdm, and I know alot of people go with the keltec sub 2000 since it is compatable with alot of different mag types. but is there one that is compatable with the xd series mags? if not what carbine would you reccommend to someone who has a xd and doesnt want a different side arm.

Imho springfield needs to jump on this and produce a cheap(in price) polymer carbine that uses there xd series mags.

ScottA 12-11-2010 04:33 PM

That would be an interesting addition to their lineup.

dunerunner 12-11-2010 05:10 PM

Baretta makes the CX4 Storm in 9mm. Won't accept the XD mag though, but the magazine is a 17 round mag!

Good review here

Tactical-Life.com Beretta CX4 Storm 9mm

CHLChris 12-11-2010 05:17 PM

Why a carbine in handgun caliber?

I don't understand the purpose. Handgun calibers have a certain maximum ballistic yield that a carbine does help a bit. But centerfire rifle rounds add so much force downrange that I don't understand the need for a pistol carbine in any handgun caliber.

Help me understand.

stalkingbear 12-11-2010 05:20 PM

The best functioning 9mm carbine on the market that I'm aware of is the Beretta Storm.

sweeper22 12-11-2010 05:40 PM

I don't think you'll find anything that fits XD mags. The best bang for your buck is probably the $400 Kel-Tec Sub2K. I have one that takes Glock 17 mags, and it's a lot of fun. The Hi-Points are a little cheaper, but weigh a lot more. The Berettas are nice, but cost twice as much as the Sub2K.

sweeper22 12-11-2010 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHLChris (Post 401209)
Why a carbine in handgun caliber?

I don't understand the purpose. Handgun calibers have a certain maximum ballistic yield that a carbine does help a bit. But centerfire rifle rounds add so much force downrange that I don't understand the need for a pistol carbine in any handgun caliber.

Help me understand.

Why not? Shooting can be fun. Not every purchase has to be about the ultimate tactical destruction machine for when the civilization implodes.

The Sub2K is a $400 gun that shoots a common caliber and accepts common mags, and it's capacity is 17rd flush with the potential for 33rds. It folds up small enough to tuck inside a backpack, range bag, or behind/under a car seat and weighs just 4lbs. It's dead on accurate at 100 yards and at that distance it's hitting about as a 9mm would at point blank range from a pistol. All of that, and really...it's just a cheap plinker. A fun gun.

Would you choose it over an AR, AK or M1A in a gun battle? Of course not. But it would make a pretty decent "urban survival" rifle, especially if portability and concealability are priorities. It's a lot of fun for $400 and the cost of 9mm rounds, and could be made useful in a tough situation.

mach1337 12-11-2010 06:56 PM

sweeper you beat me to it. just for fun. not like im gonna use if for shtf but if it was the only option then its better then nothin. i would really like to get my hands on a kriss super v or a p90 but dont have money to throw away like that maybe one day tho lol

sweeper22 12-12-2010 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mach1337 (Post 401259)
sweeper you beat me to it. just for fun. not like im gonna use if for shtf but if it was the only option then its better then nothin. i would really like to get my hands on a kriss super v or a p90 but dont have money to throw away like that maybe one day tho lol

I've certainly had fun with mine. Again, the Sub2000 is my recommendation. Honestly, in a pinch, and considering all the factors of an urban SHTF situation...you could make a pretty good case that this would be an especially useful firearm.

There are two "knocks" on this gun that I should mention:

1) You're in California. I suppose you already knew that. That really handcuffs you with regard to mag capacity. I guess the good news is that you might be able to gobble up those 10rd Glock 17 mags at a bargain rate. But maybe this makes the 40sw (G22 mags) the better choice for you.

2) Anyone who owns an S2K will tell you that these blowbacks run especially dirty. It's quite a chore to clean them thoroughly after a range session (you'll probably taste a few of the rounds you shoot), and they'll actually get mucked up enough to affect function after about 200 rounds. Just something you should know going in. But they are a blast.

Also, as far as ballistics: If you ever wanted to use this in a tactical/defense situation, you'll get the best 9mm performance from the 115gr +P variety. The powder seems to burn a little slower, taking better advantage of the longer barrel. The LE Speer Gold Dot 115gr+P that come in 50rd boxes are among the best deals out there for this gun.

Phelenwolf 12-12-2010 02:33 PM

I have to agree with all of you about having certain things for fun not for the end of the world.

I have several rifle/pistol combinations of the same caliber. Makes it so much easier on carrying stuff. We like to horse back ride alot around here and sometime you have critters that come up on you.

Some guys have the Keltec/Glock combo for the same mags, they are nice. But I am more old fashion. I like a S&W k-22/Winchester Model 62 in .22lr or my Ruger GP100/Winchester 94 Ranger Compact .357. Some are for fun and others are for work.