Ammo for home protection - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Ammo for home protection

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 12:44 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Look on the box for Some sort of text saying personal defense.. NEVER NEVER NEVER USE RELOADS!! Buy the ammo even if its expensive hydro-shock, gold dot, etc etc are more expensive than your local gunshop FMJ's and HP unless they carry the brands mentioned above. ( 2 boxes with 20 rounds each should last you...) use reloads for targets. Also look for downcharged ammo.. instead of 230gr find 185gr or 160gr

Old 03-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi View Post
What would be the best ammo to load in my XD9 for home protection? I was thinking Federal Hydra-shoks?

Thanks.
Try the new Hornady FXT's...They really do expand EVERYTIME...

Old 04-16-2009, 06:19 AM   #43

i keep remington golden sabers in my pistols.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #44

oh and Tanker60A3, it doesnt matter what the color of the gun is. if i paint my gun hot pink it will shoot just the same as if it were black. The jhp come with the words personal protection on the box and if someone breaks into your house you would be protecting yourself. If you willing to break into someones house they might as well write it up as suicide. Have you ever heard of officer- (or police-) assisted suicide? Its the same concept.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #45

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i love these kinds of threads. they never see to fail to bring 'em out of the woodwork or out from under whatever rock they are hiding under

to the original poster, i agree with quite a few that have already posted. if you are worried about missed shots taking out the neighbors, you may want to save up for a shotgun, and load up with buck shot (00 to #4 low recoil). at close quarters, that should handle most probs.

if you are going to keep the 9mm for self defense/home protection, take a look at some of the new hollow points, like someone else has already stated, that are labeled "self defense or personal protection". as for hollow points being deemed EVIL - i think you would be able to defeat that in court by simply stating that you are using the same ammo that LEO's use, for all the same reasons. they tend not to over penetrate, so as to be safer for those around you, and should you need to use "deadly force" to protect you and your loved ones, they are most likely to stop the threat, without having to fire multiple times or in excess. remember, you still have to do your part to assess the threat and react accordingly.

as for the ammunition in 9mm, i like Corbon DPX, Hornady TAP and Critical Defense, Winchesters new PDX1, and Speer Gold Dots. as for grain, try different weights of ammo in your gun to experience what the flash and recoil will be like. this will give you an idea of how it works in your gun, how it feels to you, and how fast you will be able to recover for a follow up shop if necessary.

all the super ammo out there will do you no good if you are blinded by the flash, or find you are pulling your gun back down from over your head due to recoil, or worse...find out at the worst possible moment that it doesn't cycle your gun or constantly fails to feed or eject. at that point, a bag of rocks or a sharp stick would work just as well

not sure around your area, but most parts out this way you can find a Mossberg 500 (with 2 barrels - 18" & 28" vent rib) for around $200, and that's available in .410, 20, and 12 ga. Stoegers aroung the same, and Remingtons a few $$'s more. i bring this up because i still feel for most folks, a shot gun would serve them better for home defense. for most boogy men, the sight of a shot gun is a bit more intimidating, if not, then the sound of it racking a round will certainly get their attention. and loaded with buck shot, the chance of missing at close quarters?

again, whatever you choose to use, take the time to look around the home front. know where the threat would mostly come from, come up with plans to deal with different scenarios, retrieve the loved ones back to your safe area, who will be calling the cavalry, etc, etc, etc. taking all the precautions now, formulating plans, walking through them with the family, maybe getting a dog or two, alarm systems, etc. will go a long ways towards peace of mind, and hopefully never having to find out if you bought the right ammo or not.

slo

Old 09-23-2011, 02:10 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker60A3 View Post
I am fully aware of the performance characteristics of various bullet designs, but there is more to the subject than just guns and bullets. A shooting is not the end of a problem, if only serves as a marker in the progression of the problem.
The events of the shooting will be examined with a level of scrutiny that would make an I.R.S. audit seem appealing. An ADA (Assistant District Attorney) and a detective will review each single thread that lead up to the shooting. What you did, said, and how you acted, will matter. The gun you used can sway an opinion. The gun, in legal eyes, speaks to intent. At the end of the day you may be looking at a criminal charge and fighting to stay free from jail.
The family of the decedent will go to a lawyer also, just as you would if it was your loved one killed. That's a point to always remember, somebody loves that alleged perpetrator. Anyway now YOU will be placed under the microscope. When it comes to a Wrongful Death Suit I don't need a DA or criminal conviction, the standard of guilt is lower. Now you may be faced with another fight, one for everything you have.
On a defensive shooting that is above reproach I, and no attorney that I personally know, would proceed with a suit. If an event conforms to the letter and intent of the law, well that's the end of it.
However, if you were overly aggressive, didn't retreat if able, excessive in your use of force, then your problems have just begun.
Perception is reality to most people (The people on a jury - remember them?).
People that use hollow points want to kill someone, perception.
People that use high capacity guns want to kill someone, perception.
People that use "black guns" want to kill someone, perception.
People on trial (YOU) did something wrong, perception.

If you are in a shooting and I have no doubt that what you did was legally and morally wrong, I will use all these things against you. I will hold that gun up to a jury and tell them you are a crime looking for a victim. That is reality. It will be over for me when, after the judgement is read, I look over at you and see you go limp and start to sob as you feel your world slip away from you. That again is reality.
Guns are a right, but the responsibility is far greater. I hold accountability and responsibility above all traits, and that is the microscope I would put YOU the shooter under. If you crossed the line and committed an illegal shooting, well that "black gun" with hollow points (please have a light or laser on that "tactical rail", maybe even night sights) will hang you.
Have a nice day!
Bottom line is that if Im in court for wrongful death Because I Killed some scumbag that entered my home and could possibly harm or kill me or someone in my family, Then I have won no matter what. Because he is dead and My family is safe.And as far as taking everything I have. Take it at least im alive and I have my family

Old 11-27-2011, 06:36 AM   #47

Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex in Maine View Post
First off, WHAT THE HELL?????? If you are so anti-gun what in the world are you doing on a GUN forum. Just spreading discontent and misinformation from what I can tell..first of all FMJ will over penetrate, hollow point is designed to mushroom and fragment INSIDE the body causeing INTRNAL injuries.secondly If someone defends themselves or a family members life from harm or death, then it is obvousely self defence and the DA would not even bring charges against that person, so there would be no need for you to be paradeing my firearm around the courtroom. Third, well you just made it very clear why there are so many jokes that associate lawyers with rats and sharks.
you have a nice days as well.
You can scream all you want, but Tanker was just trying to tell what really happens in court. Being right is no fun if you are sitting in jail, or dead broke. Our legal system is not perfect, I think Tanker was just trying to point that out.

-Bob

Old 11-30-2011, 02:39 AM   #48

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Best defence ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
i love these kinds of threads. they never see to fail to bring 'em out of the woodwork or out from under whatever rock they are hiding under

to the original poster, i agree with quite a few that have already posted. if you are worried about missed shots taking out the neighbors, you may want to save up for a shotgun, and load up with buck shot (00 to #4 low recoil). at close quarters, that should handle most probs.

if you are going to keep the 9mm for self defense/home protection, take a look at some of the new hollow points, like someone else has already stated, that are labeled "self defense or personal protection". as for hollow points being deemed EVIL - i think you would be able to defeat that in court by simply stating that you are using the same ammo that LEO's use, for all the same reasons. they tend not to over penetrate, so as to be safer for those around you, and should you need to use "deadly force" to protect you and your loved ones, they are most likely to stop the threat, without having to fire multiple times or in excess. remember, you still have to do your part to assess the threat and react accordingly.

as for the ammunition in 9mm, i like Corbon DPX, Hornady TAP and Critical Defense, Winchesters new PDX1, and Speer Gold Dots. as for grain, try different weights of ammo in your gun to experience what the flash and recoil will be like. this will give you an idea of how it works in your gun, how it feels to you, and how fast you will be able to recover for a follow up shop if necessary.

all the super ammo out there will do you no good if you are blinded by the flash, or find you are pulling your gun back down from over your head due to recoil, or worse...find out at the worst possible moment that it doesn't cycle your gun or constantly fails to feed or eject. at that point, a bag of rocks or a sharp stick would work just as well

not sure around your area, but most parts out this way you can find a Mossberg 500 (with 2 barrels - 18" & 28" vent rib) for around $200, and that's available in .410, 20, and 12 ga. Stoegers aroung the same, and Remingtons a few $$'s more. i bring this up because i still feel for most folks, a shot gun would serve them better for home defense. for most boogy men, the sight of a shot gun is a bit more intimidating, if not, then the sound of it racking a round will certainly get their attention. and loaded with buck shot, the chance of missing at close quarters?

again, whatever you choose to use, take the time to look around the home front. know where the threat would mostly come from, come up with plans to deal with different scenarios, retrieve the loved ones back to your safe area, who will be calling the cavalry, etc, etc, etc. taking all the precautions now, formulating plans, walking through them with the family, maybe getting a dog or two, alarm systems, etc. will go a long ways towards peace of mind, and hopefully never having to find out if you bought the right ammo or not.

slo
I totally agree with using a shot gun. I keep a 20ga 00, remington5/8 ozcopper sabot and #5 turkey. My mossy is my first grab.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex in Maine View Post
First off, WHAT THE HELL?????? If you are so anti-gun what in the world are you doing on a GUN forum. Just spreading discontent and misinformation from what I can tell..first of all FMJ will over penetrate, hollow point is designed to mushroom and fragment INSIDE the body causeing INTRNAL injuries.secondly If someone defends themselves or a family members life from harm or death, then it is obvousely self defence and the DA would not even bring charges against that person, so there would be no need for you to be paradeing my firearm around the courtroom. Third, well you just made it very clear why there are so many jokes that associate lawyers with rats and sharks.
you have a nice days as well.
Sounds like maybe he is looking for a job

Old 12-06-2011, 03:27 AM   #50

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Tanker60A3: You are the reason I despise trial lawyers.

We all have the Constitutional right to protect our lives, families and homes. If someone is in my home uninvited in the middle of the night (or otherwise) HE has created the situation and (in Colorado) I have the legal right to kill the SOB.

I want to kill him. . . not wound him, so he can't come back later and get revenge on me for the criminal scenario he created. Or hire an attorney like you to sue me for everything I own - or worse.

Why would an ******* attorney like you, with no morals or common sense, represent this criminal against me? For money - because you can't earn an honest living and are a blood sucker on our society.

Thankfully, in Colorado we have the "Make My Day" law which gives us the legal right to protect ourselves with deadly force within our homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker60A3 View Post
Full metal jacket may not be the best man stopper, but it's my choice. If you're in court, and that's where you are going if you shoot someone, you don't want a lawyer (like me) carrying on about how you were using HP's, Black Talons, Hydra Shocks, Gold Dots, etc, etc. Plain basic FMJ's, and practice, practice, practice. The FMJ has been fighting wars and putting bad people down for a 100 years.
In a shotgun I like pretty shinny wood stocks and #4 shot. Use a black gun and I will walk around the courtroom holding it up for the jury to see. I'll say all kinds of things about how you armed yourself X number of years ago, with the intent of killing someone. You could have confronted the decedent and held him at gun point and waited for the Police, but you didn't even call them until after you had murdered the victim.
Get yourself a high capacity Glock and load it with HP's, then get a Remington 870 and put a Speed Feed stock on it and load it up with 00 Buck and slugs. Maybe an AR with light and verticle grip. I, for the victim's family of course, will use a wrongful death claim to take everything you have, had, or ever will have.
Have a nice day:D

I wish I was half as smart as my dog thinks I am.

Closed Thread