Ammo for home protection - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Ammo for home protection

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2008, 12:18 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 327
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Looks like lawyers need to be used for target practice

__________________
Chester is offline  
 
Old 03-29-2008, 11:47 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

All of the lawyers points are pretty petty and cheap, and he should feel like a scumbag to bring those point up without the single stipulation of the shooting being justified...you sorry @ss pervertor of decency.
The basic ballistics of my hollow point 45s over your JHP's will be an easy 15 minute brief swaying the jury's misconception from your pig-headed argument in protection of a criminal...and may God have mercy on your JHP when/if fired from your gun in a HD situation it doesn't pass through a wall/BG/door into an innocent bystander. But let the jury hold you accountable as a knowledgable law professional for not doing the proper research to defend yourself in a manner that didn't harm others by arming yourself with projectiles designed to leave a person alive thereby causing that poor potential rapist/burgler more grief as you shot his pathetic ass 4 more times- of course hoping that none continue into an innocent bystander.

__________________
timdog is offline  
Doc3402 Likes This 
Old 03-30-2008, 03:54 AM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck View Post
Do you live in an apartment or really close to your neighbors? Do you have a relatively high chance of having to shoot towards rooms where other members of your family would be in home defense situation? If so, you might want to consider frangible rounds.

Personally, I have an 870 loaded with #7 for a first shot backed up with slugs. I don't have to worry about overpenetration, so I can get away with the slugs. On the other end of the house I have an old S&W .38 loaded with JHP's.

It really depends on your situation. In all honesty, most people are not going to care what you shoot them with.
That depends on the lawyer they get after they get out of the hospital
__________________
Tupelomadman is offline  
 
Old 03-30-2008, 04:00 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdog View Post
All of the lawyers points are pretty petty and cheap, and he should feel like a scumbag to bring those point up without the single stipulation of the shooting being justified...you sorry @ss pervertor of decency.
The basic ballistics of my hollow point 45s over your JHP's will be an easy 15 minute brief swaying the jury's misconception from your pig-headed argument in protection of a criminal...and may God have mercy on your JHP when/if fired from your gun in a HD situation it doesn't pass through a wall/BG/door into an innocent bystander. But let the jury hold you accountable as a knowledgable law professional for not doing the proper research to defend yourself in a manner that didn't harm others by arming yourself with projectiles designed to leave a person alive thereby causing that poor potential rapist/burgler more grief as you shot his pathetic ass 4 more times- of course hoping that none continue into an innocent bystander.
What would you do if YOUR neighbor suddenly shot a .45 round though YOUR wall, striking YOUR 5-year old? Would you care that he/she had a good reason to be blasting away at the preceived threat? I bet you would also contact one of those sucmbag lawyers to help pay for your little one's care. Be carefull out there.
__________________
Tupelomadman is offline  
 
Old 03-31-2008, 10:08 PM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15
Default Just pick one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker60A3 View Post
Full metal jacket may not be the best man stopper, but it's my choice. If you're in court, and that's where you are going if you shoot someone, you don't want a lawyer (like me) carrying on about how you were using HP's, Black Talons, Hydra Shocks, Gold Dots, etc, etc. Plain basic FMJ's, and practice, practice, practice. The FMJ has been fighting wars and putting bad people down for a 100 years.
In a shotgun I like pretty shinny wood stocks and #4 shot. Use a black gun and I will walk around the courtroom holding it up for the jury to see. I'll say all kinds of things about how you armed yourself X number of years ago, with the intent of killing someone. You could have confronted the decedent and held him at gun point and waited for the Police, but you didn't even call them until after you had murdered the victim.
Get yourself a high capacity Glock and load it with HP's, then get a Remington 870 and put a Speed Feed stock on it and load it up with 00 Buck and slugs. Maybe an AR with light and verticle grip. I, for the victim's family of course, will use a wrongful death claim to take everything you have, had, or ever will have.
Have a nice day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck View Post
I've never bought any ammo online, so I'm probably not gonna be of much help in that department.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi View Post
What would be the best ammo to load in my XD9 for home protection? I was thinking Federal Hydra-shoks?

Thanks.

Never mind the lawyer who thinks he can take your money.....it won't happen,,,,especially if you live in a Castle doctrine state. Also, if the ammunition is labeled by the manufacturer for personal defense, then you again, have reasonableness. In my XD 9, and pretty much every other pistol I have, I choose Hydra-shoks. If you're worried about over-penetration or where missed shots wind up, which may be a larger problem in apts, then you may want to look at Extreme Shock. But, they are pricey..very pricey.
__________________

GunnBugg :cool:

GunnBugg is offline  
 
Old 04-01-2008, 12:21 AM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

I believe there is a very important point to this thread that hasn't surfaced and didn't have a chance once our good friend with the law degree came in all self righteous about taking what he wants from us in court.

This thread is about home/personal defense. I don't give a rat's @ss what the Barister of Cheat'em, Beat'em & Smile thinks of my handgun or my ammo purchase at the time that I have to use same to protect, not attack, but protect my family or myself. I don't care what the police are going to say, I don't care what the D/A is going to say, the papers, the nightly news, because all of their opinions mean exactly SQUAT if I am dead because I was afraid to pull the trigger.

Let me rephrase that - If you have to physically stop yourself from reacting to a threat because you are worried you have the wrong weapon, or the wrong ammo in for Christ's sake, you are already screwed.

None of that is going to matter if you are not there to tell your side of the story, because you are dead. Or severely messed up and can't work, or are in the hospital with life threatening injuries.

Not everyone can afford multiple firearms. Some people have to make due with one - one they like, one they like to shoot, one they have prior military service with, or one they grew up liking, and that is the weapon of their choice. It isn't going to matter what god d@mn color it is, or if it has a "laser" ( bad idea in my opinion ) or a "light" ( are you kidding me - how is correctly identifying a target a bad idea?! ) on your "tactical" rail. What is going to matter is if you acted in a rational, sound and protectionary manner to what you perceived as an honest to goodness threat to you or your family.

Now, if you live in the Kommunist State of Kalifornia, you should move - because they will lynch you if they get the chance. But, most states don't have D/A's looking to put a hard working, tax paying, family man behind bars. If you have one in your area, you need to do your research before the next election and make some changes to either his/her position, or those all around him/her.

As for the civil case - if it came to that, you need to find a well informed and knowledgable lawyer who can argue for you the very real facts of a complicated case. If you acted with control, if you acted in a manner conducent to someone who felt threatened, our friend with the mighty bar certification will be spinning his wheels and collecting exactly nada.

You have a right to arm yourself and you have a right to protect yourself - but even in a police state, if you didn't have those rights, you aren't going to be able to make a case if you are dead. You're number one priority needs to be take care of yourself and take care of yours. Bottom line.

Now - for those who disagree, I leave you with this

I would put this on display against any handgun or shotgun in my arsenal, in front of a jury, and ask them to decide which is more dangerous. This little beauty is 100% Kalifornia Kompliant, and as such, can be stored ( locked & loaded ) within any legal home in Kalifornia. Try telling me that my 230 gr. bullets can do more damage than this piece of kit.

D

__________________
Dillinger is offline  
 
Old 04-12-2008, 01:47 PM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fxstchewy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Newton,NC
Posts: 121
Default

A good JHP....Federal, Corbon , Gold-Dot.......can't go wrong with any of them.

__________________
fxstchewy is offline  
 
Old 11-12-2008, 07:44 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 139
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Two points:

1. Tanker - thank you for your analysis and a very effective method of bringing home the point that using a weapon in home defense is a major responsibility and can backfire in ways one might not even imagine. The angry response only showed me that a very few words can powerfully sway anyone, INCLUDING A JURY. Good job. I got your point.

2. Criminals must be incredibly tough people. I often hear gun owners discussing "stopping power" and, as in this thread, the best ammunition. I guarantee that if you crease my butt with a .22 short, I'll be down and out of the fight; whimpering pathetically, most likely. Obviously, I'm not cut out for a life of crime.

__________________
741512th is offline  
Kevin Likes This 
Old 01-12-2009, 06:00 AM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I believe there is a very important point to this thread that hasn't surfaced and didn't have a chance once our good friend with the law degree came in all self righteous about taking what he wants from us in court.

This thread is about home/personal defense. I don't give a rat's @ss what the Barister of Cheat'em, Beat'em & Smile thinks of my handgun or my ammo purchase at the time that I have to use same to protect, not attack, but protect my family or myself. I don't care what the police are going to say, I don't care what the D/A is going to say, the papers, the nightly news, because all of their opinions mean exactly SQUAT if I am dead because I was afraid to pull the trigger.

Let me rephrase that - If you have to physically stop yourself from reacting to a threat because you are worried you have the wrong weapon, or the wrong ammo in for Christ's sake, you are already screwed.

None of that is going to matter if you are not there to tell your side of the story, because you are dead. Or severely messed up and can't work, or are in the hospital with life threatening injuries.

Not everyone can afford multiple firearms. Some people have to make due with one - one they like, one they like to shoot, one they have prior military service with, or one they grew up liking, and that is the weapon of their choice. It isn't going to matter what god d@mn color it is, or if it has a "laser" ( bad idea in my opinion ) or a "light" ( are you kidding me - how is correctly identifying a target a bad idea?! ) on your "tactical" rail. What is going to matter is if you acted in a rational, sound and protectionary manner to what you perceived as an honest to goodness threat to you or your family.

Now, if you live in the Kommunist State of Kalifornia, you should move - because they will lynch you if they get the chance. But, most states don't have D/A's looking to put a hard working, tax paying, family man behind bars. If you have one in your area, you need to do your research before the next election and make some changes to either his/her position, or those all around him/her.

As for the civil case - if it came to that, you need to find a well informed and knowledgable lawyer who can argue for you the very real facts of a complicated case. If you acted with control, if you acted in a manner conducent to someone who felt threatened, our friend with the mighty bar certification will be spinning his wheels and collecting exactly nada.

You have a right to arm yourself and you have a right to protect yourself - but even in a police state, if you didn't have those rights, you aren't going to be able to make a case if you are dead. You're number one priority needs to be take care of yourself and take care of yours. Bottom line.

Now - for those who disagree, I leave you with this

I would put this on display against any handgun or shotgun in my arsenal, in front of a jury, and ask them to decide which is more dangerous. This little beauty is 100% Kalifornia Kompliant, and as such, can be stored ( locked & loaded ) within any legal home in Kalifornia. Try telling me that my 230 gr. bullets can do more damage than this piece of kit.

D

AMEN,brother!!
__________________
hevymtl is offline  
Spidey Likes This 
Old 01-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
matt g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,885
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I believe there is a very important point to this thread that hasn't surfaced and didn't have a chance once our good friend with the law degree came in all self righteous about taking what he wants from us in court.

This thread is about home/personal defense. I don't give a rat's @ss what the Barister of Cheat'em, Beat'em & Smile thinks of my handgun or my ammo purchase at the time that I have to use same to protect, not attack, but protect my family or myself. I don't care what the police are going to say, I don't care what the D/A is going to say, the papers, the nightly news, because all of their opinions mean exactly SQUAT if I am dead because I was afraid to pull the trigger.

Let me rephrase that - If you have to physically stop yourself from reacting to a threat because you are worried you have the wrong weapon, or the wrong ammo in for Christ's sake, you are already screwed.

None of that is going to matter if you are not there to tell your side of the story, because you are dead. Or severely messed up and can't work, or are in the hospital with life threatening injuries.

Not everyone can afford multiple firearms. Some people have to make due with one - one they like, one they like to shoot, one they have prior military service with, or one they grew up liking, and that is the weapon of their choice. It isn't going to matter what god d@mn color it is, or if it has a "laser" ( bad idea in my opinion ) or a "light" ( are you kidding me - how is correctly identifying a target a bad idea?! ) on your "tactical" rail. What is going to matter is if you acted in a rational, sound and protectionary manner to what you perceived as an honest to goodness threat to you or your family.

Now, if you live in the Kommunist State of Kalifornia, you should move - because they will lynch you if they get the chance. But, most states don't have D/A's looking to put a hard working, tax paying, family man behind bars. If you have one in your area, you need to do your research before the next election and make some changes to either his/her position, or those all around him/her.

As for the civil case - if it came to that, you need to find a well informed and knowledgable lawyer who can argue for you the very real facts of a complicated case. If you acted with control, if you acted in a manner conducent to someone who felt threatened, our friend with the mighty bar certification will be spinning his wheels and collecting exactly nada.

You have a right to arm yourself and you have a right to protect yourself - but even in a police state, if you didn't have those rights, you aren't going to be able to make a case if you are dead. You're number one priority needs to be take care of yourself and take care of yours. Bottom line.

Now - for those who disagree, I leave you with this

I would put this on display against any handgun or shotgun in my arsenal, in front of a jury, and ask them to decide which is more dangerous. This little beauty is 100% Kalifornia Kompliant, and as such, can be stored ( locked & loaded ) within any legal home in Kalifornia. Try telling me that my 230 gr. bullets can do more damage than this piece of kit.

D
I much prefer the law firm of Dewey, Fukkum and Howe.
__________________

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

matt g is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Home Protection Shotgun texasheat General Shotgun Discussion 43 09-23-2012 08:45 PM
Best .380 Personal Protection ammo greenr19 Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 21 01-07-2012 02:30 AM
Home Protection Shotgun mariam General Shotgun Discussion 161 09-29-2009 09:10 PM
Personal Protection ammo Caladin Glock Forum 13 05-30-2008 09:45 PM
advice on home protection bellx1 The Club House 10 05-04-2008 03:44 PM



Newest Threads