Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Ammo for home protection

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ammo for home protection

What would be the best ammo to load in my XD9 for home protection? I was thinking Federal Hydra-shoks?

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2007, 06:04 AM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Do you live in an apartment or really close to your neighbors? Do you have a relatively high chance of having to shoot towards rooms where other members of your family would be in home defense situation? If so, you might want to consider frangible rounds.

Personally, I have an 870 loaded with #7 for a first shot backed up with slugs. I don't have to worry about overpenetration, so I can get away with the slugs. On the other end of the house I have an old S&W .38 loaded with JHP's.

It really depends on your situation. In all honesty, most people are not going to care what you shoot them with.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:42 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I live relatively close to neighbors (suburbs), so I'm really more concerned about stray rounds than stopping power. I know the 9mm is probably not the best home protection weapon and I should be acquiring a shotgun instead, but it's all I've got right now. It sounds like frangibles might be a better (safer anyway) choice? Are there any online vendors that folks could recommend buying them from?

Thanks again.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:06 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The mythical "one shot stop" is just that, a myth (for the most part). With that in mind, any round will take more than one well placed shot to put him down, especially from a 9mm. I guess the question you are really asking is "what is the best round to use that will not penetrate the walls of your apartment?"; you are not looking for the best defensive round. I agree with you both, shotgun is the way to go for you, but for now the 9mm will have to do. Still plenty of solutions out there for you. Good luck.

regards

Old 12-28-2007, 04:54 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi View Post
I live relatively close to neighbors (suburbs), so I'm really more concerned about stray rounds than stopping power. I know the 9mm is probably not the best home protection weapon and I should be acquiring a shotgun instead, but it's all I've got right now. It sounds like frangibles might be a better (safer anyway) choice? Are there any online vendors that folks could recommend buying them from?

Thanks again.
I've never bought any ammo online, so I'm probably not gonna be of much help in that department.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi View Post
What would be the best ammo to load in my XD9 for home protection? I was thinking Federal Hydra-shoks?Thanks.
Hydrashock is a good choice. Gold dot is another. Glaser safety slugs of course are pretty much the defacto standard for home protection.

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all." -- Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-29-2007, 01:17 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Fmj

Full metal jacket may not be the best man stopper, but it's my choice. If you're in court, and that's where you are going if you shoot someone, you don't want a lawyer (like me) carrying on about how you were using HP's, Black Talons, Hydra Shocks, Gold Dots, etc, etc. Plain basic FMJ's, and practice, practice, practice. The FMJ has been fighting wars and putting bad people down for a 100 years.
In a shotgun I like pretty shinny wood stocks and #4 shot. Use a black gun and I will walk around the courtroom holding it up for the jury to see. I'll say all kinds of things about how you armed yourself X number of years ago, with the intent of killing someone. You could have confronted the decedent and held him at gun point and waited for the Police, but you didn't even call them until after you had murdered the victim.
Get yourself a high capacity Glock and load it with HP's, then get a Remington 870 and put a Speed Feed stock on it and load it up with 00 Buck and slugs. Maybe an AR with light and verticle grip. I, for the victim's family of course, will use a wrongful death claim to take everything you have, had, or ever will have.
Have a nice day

Old 12-29-2007, 03:10 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker60A3 View Post
Full metal jacket may not be the best man stopper, but it's my choice. If you're in court, and that's where you are going if you shoot someone, you don't want a lawyer (like me) carrying on about how you were using HP's, Black Talons, Hydra Shocks, Gold Dots, etc, etc. Plain basic FMJ's, and practice, practice, practice. The FMJ has been fighting wars and putting bad people down for a 100 years.
In a shotgun I like pretty shinny wood stocks and #4 shot. Use a black gun and I will walk around the courtroom holding it up for the jury to see. I'll say all kinds of things about how you armed yourself X number of years ago, with the intent of killing someone. You could have confronted the decedent and held him at gun point and waited for the Police, but you didn't even call them until after you had murdered the victim.
Get yourself a high capacity Glock and load it with HP's, then get a Remington 870 and put a Speed Feed stock on it and load it up with 00 Buck and slugs. Maybe an AR with light and verticle grip. I, for the victim's family of course, will use a wrongful death claim to take everything you have, had, or ever will have.
Have a nice day

Edit:

My first response was a little inappropriate. Instead, I'll ask you this. As a gun owner, how could you do something like that and still sleep at night?

Last edited by Duck; 12-29-2007 at 03:15 AM.
People Like This 
Old 12-29-2007, 03:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker60A3 View Post
Have a nice day
First off, WHAT THE HELL?????? If you are so anti-gun what in the world are you doing on a GUN forum. Just spreading discontent and misinformation from what I can tell..first of all FMJ will over penetrate, hollow point is designed to mushroom and fragment INSIDE the body causeing INTRNAL injuries.secondly If someone defends themselves or a family members life from harm or death, then it is obvousely self defence and the DA would not even bring charges against that person, so there would be no need for you to be paradeing my firearm around the courtroom. Third, well you just made it very clear why there are so many jokes that associate lawyers with rats and sharks.
you have a nice days as well.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:17 AM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

People wonder where the "dumb masses" get these BS ideas about guns. Well, here it is folks. I can understand people that truly feel that guns are tools of violence and live in a fantasy world where everyone should be happy and peaceful. I don't agree with them, but I can at least respect their opinions.

Then there are people like this dude. People that put the dollar before any and all decency.

Closed Thread