Advantage of XD - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Advantage of XD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 02:49 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Although I have an XD-40, it is far from my favorite carry gun. I don't think I have even fired it since I last used it to qualify for my ccw, but I do like the XD/XDM line & I stock 6 or moreof the what are there, like 20+ different guns?
I usually sell them to prior owners & new gun buyers with a few bucks to spend. I'd rather see a beginner with a grip safety

Old 12-11-2010, 03:44 AM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
I will look for it again here on the web, there is a rubber sleeve you can slide over the grip.
That's great if you want a "three-finger-grooved" temporary accessory. They are made by Houge and can bew found at pretty much any gun store and even big name "All purpose" type stores that carry ammo, but I find them to be awkward feeling as they slip around when used right out of the box, if taped on they aren't as bad. I've used them on .44 mags, before my permanent grips were made.

Quote:
There is a company that will texture the grip for you if you want. They will also mill the grip to give a service or tactical model the grip length of a 45 compact. If anyone is interested I can dig the name up.
There's a few. Robar is the common one that your probably thinking of. Springfield is actually putting a different grip on their new Tactical 9 (third pic) The is also a new one I saw in a handgun mag, but I can't remember the name. I'll look through my old magazines. . .

The reason I chose the decal grip addition is that its semi-permanent.

I can take them off if I ever want to sell the gun (which won't happen unless it's for another model XD) and buyer doesn't want them or I may want to have permanent mods to the frame like a beaver tail and the Robar treatment. Plus, even though it is only semi-permanent it feels like part of the gun unlike the slip on grip addition.

No I'm not a decal grip salesman. . . Just throwing my reasoning out there for you folks considering a grip mod. I have used all 3 (Robar was on a Glock and comes in a close second) and the decal is my favorite so far. If it begins to flaw I will report it immediately.
xdrobargrip.jpg   xdgripmod1.jpg   tactical-xd-9.jpg  

Old 12-11-2010, 04:01 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had a used Glock with the Decal Grip, it was soft & sticky- Felt a bit nicer to shoot with too. (I was just giving the Glock a try, Heh Heh)

Old 12-11-2010, 04:15 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I own two xd's and one xdm. 9mm, 40, and 45. They are all great shooters and just feel really good to me. Never had a single malfunction with any of them. That being said I've got nothing against a glock either. In fact, I'm planning on picking up a 30, 23, or 27. Just gotta decide what I want. I wouldn't say there's an advantage to an xd over glock...just depends on your taste.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:43 AM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Glocks are OK, but haven't spent enough time with one to really make a fair judgement.

Believe it or not I've had my eye out for a Glock for a few months now. Lightly used in the $350 range and I'm all over it. Model 17 or 19

Old 12-11-2010, 05:47 AM   #16

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I love my XD 40, it's the 2nd hand gun I shot and the first one I bought, and it's still one of my go to guns for stress relief or self defense. I'd trust my family's life to it.

I feel that Springfield took the best thing about Glocks (polymer and the trigger safety) and mixed it with the 1911 (grip safety and grip angle) and came out with the XD.

The only thing I wish it had was a beaver tail, which I see someone does do, so when I get back to my guns I might get it done.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 12-11-2010, 11:47 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't know if you've seen it but a glock beavertail has been produced, it is held in place with a wrap-around grip

Last edited by billdeserthills; 12-11-2010 at 11:50 PM. Reason: duh moment

Old 12-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #18

The Grip Safety is one of the main advantages the XD's have over the Glocks. The newer ones even more so that have the Tumb Safety also. Not to change the dirrection of the Thread but about the grip texturing. I have been trying to find a slip on grip and all I have been able to find are ones for the XD 9's and 40's but not one for the XD45C. Has anyone seen one? I don't want to send my gun out to have it textured, I would much rather just slip a grip over it. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #19

LOL!! why do you springfield guys like to compare to the Glock so much? The only comparision to me is how much xd looks like glock. Hey if you like xd's thats cool, h&k,sigs,glocks etc. thats great but love them for what they are not how they compare to their rival

Old 03-13-2011, 12:29 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2876 Times on 1432 Posts
Likes Given: 303

The grip safety is a nice bonus. The fact that it doesn't have that newly formed 2x4 grip feel is also a plus. XDs don't come with a cult either.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld