Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Advantage of XD (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/advantage-xd-35435/)

Shihan 12-10-2010 09:17 PM

Advantage of XD

What advantage does the XD hold over the Glock? At first glance grips look similar. Is the high bore axis hold any advantage? How needed is the grip safety?

spittinfire 12-10-2010 09:29 PM

I think the grip safety is a good addition as you must have a firm hold of the grip for the weapon to fire. The grips do look similar but I promise you they don't feel similar. The XD grip angle is much nicer, IMO and much like that of a 1911. I also find the XD grip to fit my hand better.
The XD will take the same abuse a Glock will so durability isn't an issue nor is functionality, they are both reliable.

You have opened a large can of worms, my friend.

orangello 12-10-2010 09:31 PM

I do like my grip safety.

My friends would've made fun of me for buying a "cop gun" if i had picked up a Glock. ;)

doctherock 12-10-2010 09:50 PM

A big advantage of the grip safety that I see is child resistance, their hand doesn't fit the grip and they're the weapon can't be fired and the action can't be cycled. I love my xd40, my prior carry weapon was a Ruger P94 .40.

diggsbakes 12-10-2010 10:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I love the XD, but the grip safety is only a small part of the reasons. It just loves to be shot and feels great. I've had my XD .40 tactical for almost 2 years, shot it as much as any other handgun, carried it when and where I felt like it. If you looked at it you'd think it was brand new. Heck why don't you . . .

Shihan 12-10-2010 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diggsbakes (Post 400787)
I love the XD, but the grip safety is only a small part of the reasons. It just loves to be shot and feels great. I've had my XD .40 tactical for almost 2 years, shot it as much as any other handgun, carried it when and where I felt like it. If you looked at it you'd think it was brand new. Heck why don't you . . .

What did you have done to the grip?

diggsbakes 12-10-2010 10:12 PM

It's just rubber grip tape, thay also make it in sandpaper. I can't remember the make off hand, but if you're interested I can find out.

It makes a noticeable difference in recoil management and point-ability is a little more natural, since it sticks to your hand.

spittinfire 12-10-2010 10:33 PM

There is a company that will texture the grip for you if you want. They will also mill the grip to give a service or tactical model the grip length of a 45 compact. If anyone is interested I can dig the name up.

mach1337 12-11-2010 01:55 AM

i can personally vouch for the grip safety. i have a xdm in 9mm when i bought it the wife wanted to shoot it so naturally i let her. well she has much tinier hands then i do and the first couple of times she tried to shoot it no bang. so i had to help her out a lil and adjust her grip so she could get a tighter hold on it and then she had no problems. works well imho. plus im not a big glock fan...

doctherock 12-11-2010 02:28 AM

I will look for it again here on the web, there is a rubber sleeve you can slide over the grip.