9MM XD4" or XDM3.8"........ported?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > 9MM XD4" or XDM3.8"........ported?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 9MM XD4" or XDM3.8"........ported?

I want to thank all of you in advance, for your replies !!

I've got lot's of guns, but I've never been into pistols. Two of my boys have XD9's; I love the way they fit my hand. But I see many comments about the XDM's. What's the difference, and which do you prefer.

Another question: one has the subcompact stainless, and the other a 4" black; I can pull the 4" back fairly easily, but the subcompact is almost impossable for me to pull back. I have arthritus in my hands. Is the spring in the sub the same as in the 4 so you have to pull harder? What else might the reason be?

I see some advertised as ported. I know what that means in my rifles and shot guns, but with these pistols being spring operated, what are they talking about? Is it just an advertising ruse?

BTW, I will probably buy a laser. The one I'm interested in, is installed inside the gun. Since having a very bad back injury last winter, I am unable to stand very much (I use a walker), so I won't be practicing as much as I would like too, so I thought the laser sight might be the way for me to go.

Thanks again

Last edited by MX255; 07-23-2010 at 10:55 PM. Reason: I had another question.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2010, 11:29 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

I've owned a number of XDs including the standard 4" model as well as the subcompacts. I've also had an XDm for a short time. The XDm is higher capacity and supposedly "match" ready. Personally, if there's an accuracy difference I didn't see it. For the price, I'd go with a standard 4" service model as it is a lot of bang for the buck.

A ported handgun is just what you think it is, small ports are cut into the top of the barrel near the muzzle to deflect gas and reduce recoil. It's probably effective on large bore revolvers; however, on a 9mm it is a marketing ploy. As far as lasers - some folks like them and some don't. I do own a Streamlight laser/light that I keep on one of my nightstand guns. The guide rod internal lasers are pricey but then again, there's nothing hanging off the bottom of the gun...

Old 07-23-2010, 11:36 PM   #3

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The XDm offers several differences as compared to the XD series. The magazine capacity is higher, you don't have to dry fire it to field strip it, it has a "match grade" barrel, and the stippling is different. I'm not a XD authority but if you're going to use it for defense I seriously doubt you'll want a ported 9mm for 2 reasons. #1-a ported gun will seem a lot louder in a confined area like a room or car than an unported 1 will. #2-I don't think a 9mm produces enough recoil to require porting. In an XD or XDm the recoil of 9mm is mild.

The shorter the slide/barrel the stronger the spring has to be in order to do the same job as on a longer model. In other words the compression rate of the spring will be stiffer on the shorter model. It's hard to recommend a model without knowing exactly how it's going to be used. Since you have arthritis I'd recommend the longer model for you-especially if you're not going to carry it concealed.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:13 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3397 Times on 1946 Posts
Likes Given: 1466

In additional to what Bear sez, ports seem to me another way for muzzle flash to blind you when shooting.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

A buddy has a standard 4" XD9 & i like it very much, almost as much as my 5" XD45. That said, if I had arthritis bad enough in my hands to make racking the XD's slide difficult, i would consider a non-striker-fired pistol, like the CZ75b i have; it is MUCH easier to rack its slide than any of the XD's or glocks i've used.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #6

I bought the standard XD9 with 4" barrel, and added a LaserMax to it. I can rack it fine, by holding it in my dominant hand and gripping the slide with my thumb pointed to the rear of the gun.

The gun shoots great, and I love the laser.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:45 AM   #7

Likes Given: 1

How does the recoil compare in the SCs between the 9 and 40? I have both the XD40 and XDm40. I have been thinking about selling the XD so I can replace it with a subcompact for concealed carry. I have been considering the 9mm because of the reduced recoil in the smaller gun. Since you have both can you give me your experience with them?

Old 08-31-2010, 12:27 PM   #8

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

I've owned both as well and I felt a marked difference in the recoil. I am not a fan of .40 in small guns - it's just difficult to shoot them well...

Old 08-31-2010, 11:21 PM   #9

Likes Given: 1

Thank you for the feedback. I know that different people experience recoil differently because of their different size and shooting experience. I guess the best for me is to try to find someone or a range that has the guns to try for myself.

I have also been told that the 40sc recoils straight back instead of the muzzle rising as much. I would prefer the 40 if I can control it to get a second shot off quickly. From all the research I did before my first .40 purchase I would agree about it being the best defense round out there. I previously had a 1911 .38 Super (still have it) which I enjoy very much as well. I think the .38 Super is at least as snappy as the .40.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:37 PM   #10

I love biscuits and gravy, I like my new gun. lol very good advice guys