Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > .45 xd rear safety inquiries

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default .45 xd rear safety inquiries

So, I was checking out the .45 xd at my local shop the other day and comparing it to the .45 glock. I noticed the xd has the rear grip safety. After doing a little reading I am growing concerned that the extra safety may hinder a natural shooting position. I have read (and feel it to be accurate) that the rear grip safety design causes issues due to the fact it has to be firmly pressed all the way in to fire. I know when I shoot I am not strangling the grip of the gun and worry that I may not always be compressing the safety enough.

Has anyone had issues with not compressing the rear grip safety enough while holding the gun in a comfortable shooting grip?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2012, 02:44 AM   #2

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

I think your just looking for a reason to buy a glock. If you know how to hold a gun then you won't have a problem. Seems a bit anal to me. You don't have to strangle it. I've had no problems. I Don't even notice it's there

Old 12-05-2012, 02:55 AM   #3

Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have an XD and I have Glocks. I love Glocks but I think the XD is a much nicer gun. The grip safety isn't even noticeable. If you have trouble engaging the safety then your grip sucks, plain and simple. I have little kid hands and I do fine with it. I can hit clay pigeons at 25 meters pretty easy with it.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:00 AM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

1911s have used that safety for over 100 years, far as I know not many complain about it...it isn't noticeable and almost no effort beyond a proper grip is required to compress and disengage the safety.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-05-2012, 03:49 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You should be fine, when you pull the trigger you have no choice but to grab the back of the grip. If you grip it fully you will be fine. It's designed so that kids can't just pull the trigger.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:21 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 120 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyTheFace View Post
After doing a little reading I am growing concerned that the extra safety may hinder a natural shooting position. I have read (and feel it to be accurate) that the rear grip safety design causes issues due to the fact it has to be firmly pressed all the way in to fire.
The only gun I have (or have ever fired) with a grip safety is the XDs I purchased a few weeks back. It doesn't change/effect my grip in any way and I basically don't even notice it's there.

If you want a Glock get one (love my Glock as well), but I don't think the grip safety should be the deciding factor. Just my opinion though.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:58 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Like others have said the grip safety is a non issue. You'll forget it's even there and it barely takes any pressure to push it in. Just a normal or even light grip will push it in. I wouldn't give it a second thought and definitely shouldn't be a reason at all not to buy one.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ha! maybe I am a little anal retentive. I think I may spend too much time researching every little detail. Thanks!

Old 12-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have the 5" XD45; the grip safety has never impaired or bothered me in the least.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 120 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyTheFace View Post
ha! maybe I am a little anal retentive. I think I may spend too much time researching every little detail. Thanks!
Guns are expensive, and not everyone can shoot before they buy. Better to ask now than try and justify a bad purchase later!