Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   .45 xd rear safety inquiries (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/45-xd-rear-safety-inquiries-77721/)

AndyTheFace 12-04-2012 11:22 PM

.45 xd rear safety inquiries

So, I was checking out the .45 xd at my local shop the other day and comparing it to the .45 glock. I noticed the xd has the rear grip safety. After doing a little reading I am growing concerned that the extra safety may hinder a natural shooting position. I have read (and feel it to be accurate) that the rear grip safety design causes issues due to the fact it has to be firmly pressed all the way in to fire. I know when I shoot I am not strangling the grip of the gun and worry that I may not always be compressing the safety enough.

Has anyone had issues with not compressing the rear grip safety enough while holding the gun in a comfortable shooting grip?

Pistol_Pete 12-05-2012 02:44 AM

I think your just looking for a reason to buy a glock. If you know how to hold a gun then you won't have a problem. Seems a bit anal to me. You don't have to strangle it. I've had no problems. I Don't even notice it's there

hoovco 12-05-2012 02:55 AM

I have an XD and I have Glocks. I love Glocks but I think the XD is a much nicer gun. The grip safety isn't even noticeable. If you have trouble engaging the safety then your grip sucks, plain and simple. I have little kid hands and I do fine with it. I can hit clay pigeons at 25 meters pretty easy with it.

Jpyle 12-05-2012 03:00 AM

1911s have used that safety for over 100 years, far as I know not many complain about it...it isn't noticeable and almost no effort beyond a proper grip is required to compress and disengage the safety.

95sniper 12-05-2012 03:49 AM

You should be fine, when you pull the trigger you have no choice but to grab the back of the grip. If you grip it fully you will be fine. It's designed so that kids can't just pull the trigger.

otisthecat 12-06-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyTheFace (Post 1039069)
After doing a little reading I am growing concerned that the extra safety may hinder a natural shooting position. I have read (and feel it to be accurate) that the rear grip safety design causes issues due to the fact it has to be firmly pressed all the way in to fire.

The only gun I have (or have ever fired) with a grip safety is the XDs I purchased a few weeks back. It doesn't change/effect my grip in any way and I basically don't even notice it's there.

If you want a Glock get one (love my Glock as well), but I don't think the grip safety should be the deciding factor. Just my opinion though.

savagerun 12-06-2012 03:58 AM

Like others have said the grip safety is a non issue. You'll forget it's even there and it barely takes any pressure to push it in. Just a normal or even light grip will push it in. I wouldn't give it a second thought and definitely shouldn't be a reason at all not to buy one.

AndyTheFace 12-06-2012 08:26 PM

ha! maybe I am a little anal retentive. I think I may spend too much time researching every little detail. Thanks!

orangello 12-06-2012 08:57 PM

I have the 5" XD45; the grip safety has never impaired or bothered me in the least.

otisthecat 12-07-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyTheFace (Post 1041903)
ha! maybe I am a little anal retentive. I think I may spend too much time researching every little detail. Thanks!

Guns are expensive, and not everyone can shoot before they buy. Better to ask now than try and justify a bad purchase later!