.40 -v- 9mm
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > .40 -v- 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .40 -v- 9mm

What's going on everyone. I'm about to purchase my first gun. I don't know to much about them but have decided on the sub compact XD. I want something small and just need something to protect my home. What are the pros and cons of the .40 cal and 9mm? Which should I go with?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

1) Welcome to the Forum!

2) You just opened one of the top ( 4 ) biggest cans of worms on the Internetz Gun World... LOL

Here's the honest truth:

A 9mm, with a hollow point bullet and a 127gr or 135gr bullet is going to do plenty of damage. That is what my fiancee' carries in her 1911. I am comfortable with that, because the recoil isn't harsh and her groups are good - but that is with a steel framed pistol handed down by Odin himself through John Browning's genius.

The .40 S&W cartridge was an attempt to fix a problem that wasn't really a problem, but it got HUGE acclaim when it was introduced.

The FBI wanted a new pistol, but their agents couldn't all handle the 10mm ( or the .45ACP due to magazine capacity ) - so the .40S&W ( 10mm LITE ) wonder cartridge was born to give 9mm like capacity in the weapon itself, with higher stopping power.

I have a .40 Smith in a Sig P228 ( or P229, I can't remember, it never comes out of the safe anymore ). I carried it for years. It's a good round. It's not a great round, but it's good.

In the manly self defense world, the 9mm is really just a .45 ACP set on "STUN" because it lacks the sheer wound trauma that the big 230grain .45 ACP can deliver.

The 9mm is a fast moving round, so if you don't load it with good hollow points, it's possible for over penetration. Most bullet weights leave the muzzle at around 1100 to 1300 feet per second. That transfers around 300 foot pounds of energy, give or take. Go up to the heavy 147 grain bullet and you can get 1,000 feet per second and about 350 foot pounds of energy.

The .40 S&W can give you a 200 grain +P bullet leaving the barrel at just over 1,100 fps. - transfering about 490 foot pounds of energy into something of mass. But, the common carry round is the 180 grain, which leaves at about 975fps and transfers about 400 foot pounds of energy.

No, take those numbers and compare them to the .45 ACP:

A 200 grain +P round will leave at about 1,000 feet per second, but will induce over 500 foot pounds of energy into the target, plus the wound channel will be savage in nature.

Now, all that is immaterial when you factor in this quote, but I forget who said it:

"A pistol is just something to fight with until you can get a rifle"

So, knowing that you aren't buying one weapon to take on the world with, you need to shoot A LOT of guns and you need to decide what is comfortable for YOU to hold, shoot and carry.

Bottom Line, you could have the most effective Chrome Plated Death Magnum on the Planet, capable of split school houses in half, but if you are afraid to go near it, it's not going to do you a damn bit of good.

So, go and test a bunch of guns to see what YOU LIKE - then worry about what self defense round to put in the damn thing....

JD

Old 04-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #3

Wow Dillinger, did I mention I'm new to all this, haha. No really, thanks for the reply, you went into some detail and gave me something to think about. This is how I think, and maybe you guys will think I'm crazy. If someone break into my house, I want to shoot them, to stop them from being able to do harm to me or my family. Not really interested in killing them. I prefer to stop them in their tracks and then proceed to beat the **** out of them, piss on them and then call the cops. Should I just go 9mm, because its a cheaper gun to shoot?

Old 04-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwimports View Post
This is how I think, and maybe you guys will think I'm crazy.
Stop there, because everyone here is going to tell you the same thing....

Read below -

Quote:
If someone break into my house, I want to shoot them, to stop them from being able to do harm to me or my family. Not really interested in killing them. I prefer to stop them in their tracks and then proceed to beat the **** out of them, piss on them and then call the cops.
You NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVERpull a weapon with an intent to harm, wound, scare, belittle, wing, incapacitate or frighten off anyone.

When I weapon leaves it's holster, it has one purpose, to destroy what it is being aimed at. Period.

"Brandishing" a weapon when you are trying NOT to shoot someone in the head or chest because you don't want to kill them, is going to get you hurt, or killed yourself.

If you are not prepared for that course of action, you shouldn't be getting a gun, you should be getting a large dog that will do most of the work for you.

Self defense is no joke, and playing at it can get you, and your family/friends/other loved ones, hurt, crippled or killed.

If you do not feel that you are capable of pulling a weapon with the intent to destroy what the pistol is aimed at, be it a glass bottle, a paper target or a bad guy, you are not an ideal candidate for owning a pistol, especially for self defense purposes....

Now, ask yourself, are you willing and able to take a life to protect one ( your's / your family / etc. )

From there, we can help you....

Last edited by Dillinger; 04-01-2009 at 07:25 PM.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Wow Dillinger, did I mention I'm new to all this, haha. No really, thanks for the reply, you went into some detail and gave me something to think about. This is how I think, and maybe you guys will think I'm crazy. If someone break into my house, I want to shoot them, to stop them from being able to do harm to me or my family. Not really interested in killing them. I prefer to stop them in their tracks and then proceed to beat the **** out of them, piss on them and then call the cops. Should I just go 9mm, because its a cheaper gun to shoot?
A firearm is a tool designed to kill and that needs to be first and foremost in your mind. To think otherwise is dangerous and naive. The easiest way to stop an attacker is to shoot center mass until they are no longer a threat.

If you can't handle doing this, you should stick to a Taser or other less lethal means. They will allow you to temporarily disable an attacker and use your own means to subdue and detain as you wait for the police to arrive.

Sorry if I'm coming off a little harsh, but the mindset that you have is a pet peeve of mine.

Like JD, I'm a proponent of the .45 ACP and the 1911. My round of choice is a 230 gr. Federal Hydrashock. I know that if I have to use it, one center mass shot is going to leave entrails hanging out of the bad guy's gaping exit wound. It sounds bad, but in all honesty, my training and experience dictates that the easiest way to disable an attacker is by causing massive trauma that results in a full CNS collapse.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:35 PM   #6

You both make very good points. The truth is I am willing and able to use my gun with the intent to kill. I would never let anything or anyone harm me or my family. It's just if I had a choice (and I relize I won't) I would prefer not to kill someone and have to go through the legal system and worry about proving self defense etc.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
You both make very good points. The truth is I am willing and able to use my gun with the intent to kill. I would never let anything or anyone harm me or my family. It's just if I had a choice (and I relize I won't) I would prefer not to kill someone and have to go through the legal system and worry about proving self defense etc.
In all but the most liberal cities, "clean" shootings are brushed off by the DA. A counter point to your argument, though, is that a dead man can't testify against you.

A center mass shot, is an instinctive move for someone who is trained in firearms use. The use of muscle memory over conscious thought is clearly indicative of being under duress. If you have no military or LE firearms training or don't have much, you would be wise to make a trip every couple of months to someplace like Gun Site or Valhalla.

Once the bad guy is no longer a threat, 911 should be called. Simply state that there has been a shooting and you need an ambulance. Render first aid to your victim and continue doing so until paramedics show up. Make no statements to the police. Contact your lawyer the following morning and make a statement to law enforcement through them.

Also, if you plan to defend yourself, you should also be ready for the possible legal battle that may be required to clear your name.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:30 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
You don't vant a firearm. You vant a........ Blinkx Video: Trunk Monkey 1

Old 04-02-2009, 01:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
You don't vant a firearm. You vant a........ Blinkx Video: Trunk Monkey 1
ahaha. very nice..

Old 04-02-2009, 03:26 AM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Keep in mind that recoil will vary greatly between 9mm and .40 S&W.

A 9mm has very low recoil, which allows for great control of the weapon and very fast follow on shots, which is great.

A .40 S&W can exhibit greater recoil than a .45 ACP round (i.e. 180 grain .40 S&W rounds do have a decent amount of recoil). This can make accurate follow up shots a little slower and can be slightly more difficult.

The 9mm is generally cheaper depending on where you will shop for ammo.

Learn as much as you can from alot of sources before making your final choice. Personally, I really like the 9mm round. I believe it is a great all around pistol round and it is under rated sometimes. With that said, my home defense round is, indeed, a .40 S&W. That is my choice more based on the type of weapon, rather than the ammo (I have kids, and they cannot operate the slide, or pull the heavy trigger on my Smith and Wesson Sigma .40). It's more of a safety deal for me.

Good luck, and rest in the knowledge that both rounds will do the job of defending very well.