Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > .40 v .45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .40 v .45

Ok, from what i've heard from everyone else pretty much, the .40 cal xd will have less recoil than a .45 xd. A buddy "informed" me that some guy told him the .40 will have MORE recoil, and is less accurate than the 45. That, to me, makes no sense. I want the .40 xdm, but supposedly it is less accurate than a .45. What do you guys know? Have you shot the 40 xd, 45 xd, and the 40 xdm?

Smith&Wesson M&P .45
Beretta 92fs

NRA member since November 16, 2009

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."-V

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I had a .40xd subcompact (3in). Very accurate and easy to manage recoil.

I've shot the xd45 (4in) as well. Very accurate and easy to manage recoil.

It's just personal preference.

The only gripe I have about .45 ammo is the price and availiability.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2261 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

A .40 will have DIFFERENT recoil. IMHO it has slightly sharper recoil than a .45. Recoil is a product of bullet weight, velocity, powder weight vs gun weight. A heavy, steel framed .45 will recoil less than a light polymer framed .40 simply because the gun has more inertia resisting recoil.

In reality a 1911 in .40 shooting a 180 grain bullet at 980fps will have the same recoil as a 1911 in .45 shooting a 180 grain bullet at 980 fps (powder charge not withstanding).

If you really get down to it, a gun will recoil more as the magazine empties. The weight of the ammo resists recoil. Most people cannot tell the difference between the first and last shot.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Having owned a lot of the same guns in .40 and .45 my impression is the recoil just feels different between the 2 rounds. I find .40 to be more "snappy" with quick muzzle rise while the .45 feels more like a "push". Not very scientific I know, but this observation comes from shooting both rounds a lot in the same platforms...

Old 08-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I agree with robo, the recoil is managable in both but different. The 40 is much sharper or snappy like NGIB mentioned. I personally don't care for 40s because I don't like the high pressures generated by the 40 and I don't like snappy recoil.
I have an XD45 and it is very comfortable to shoot, the recoil isn't any less then the 40 but its a more gradual onset and offset. Also the pressure in the 45 is far lower then the 40.
I don't think accuracy is an issue with either guns. I've owned 2 XDs and shot many others and fine myself as accurate with one as the next. I haven't shot an XDM40 though.
I would say go and try as many as you can get your hands on and see which one you like best. I personally do not like 40s and I will never own a 40, I have a 45, but you might shoot one and think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. You won't know until you give them a try.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-07-2009, 06:34 PM   #6

So is a starting pistol going to be easier in a 40 for 45? Is it gonna be eaasier to learn with a snappy recoil or a push recoil? The issue I have here is that neither gun range in town rents handguns. I shot my buddy's 1911 the other day and the recoil was pretty intense. So I know how .45 shoots, but I cant get a chance to shoot a 40 unless I buy it.

Smith&Wesson M&P .45
Beretta 92fs

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."-V

Old 08-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #7

All I can tell you is that in a similar platform, I prefer shooting .45 to .40 - but you may not end up agreeing. If you shot a real 1911 and found it "intense", you may not enjoy shooting the light plastic pistols.

The grip has a lot to do with perceived recoil as well. For example, I really like Hogue grips on Sigs - makes them much more comfortable to shoot...

Old 08-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If this is your first handgun, I suggest going with something smaller. Get a 22 to practice with and learn the basics and get comfortable handling a pistol and move up later. It's important to learn the fundimentals first before moving into large calibers so your shooting doesn' suffer.
If you have some experience shooting but this is first personal gun, maybe look at a 9mm. They are cheaper to shoot then both the 40 and 45 if you are buying all your ammo and the recoil is lighter. There are many options for XDs in 9mm.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #9

Read this thread I just wrote as it may offer you a great solution...

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/sig-22s-16646-new/

Old 08-08-2009, 06:34 AM   #10

I thought alot about .22 and 9mm, but want a better protection caliber. That's why I was thinkg .45. I also just love the XDm, and it would be nice if they made a .45, and I thought about the XD45, and I'm just more into the Xdm. So really it is just between an XD45 and an XDM40.

Smith&Wesson M&P .45
Beretta 92fs