Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > 4.5" XDm 45ACP initial impressions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 03:18 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4483 Times on 2365 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Default 4.5" XDm 45ACP initial impressions

picked up my new xdm 45acp today. the wife really liked it and she wants to go friday to try it out. i really like the case and all the goodies it comes with. the holster seems servicable for oc or just tossing the shirt or jacket over it. i bought one extra mag and three more are on the way free from springfield. havent had a chance to try the other removable grip sections.

chamber seems highly polished. while it wont feed empties my 230grn SD loads chamber smoothly while gently letting the slide close by hand. this bodes well for feed reliability. usually riding the slides causes malfunctions on other platforms.

no external extractor. everything is inside the frame. dont know if its important or not just interesting.

ive always wondered what use a rail under a gun is really for i truly wonder why no one has made a mag holder to fit under the rail i think it would work!!

normally i detest ambi controls but the xdm mag release is very strong which i really like as my main complaint with 1911s and my sig p220 and bersas is the light mag release leading to innadverant mag ejection. the extra button does not get in the way thanks to the clever cutouts on each side. the finger swells and location of the slide release is reminiscent of my p220.

ergonomically the xdm seems to be a work of art.

my initial impressions are very very good. i was prepaired to be meh about it but im starting to really like this a lot!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-15-2011, 11:53 PM   #2

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

Is that a magazine loader and it fits on the rail to carry an extra mag?

I'm liking the XDm!

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 09-16-2011, 12:28 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

lol the loader fits on the rail but the mag will fall out on its own. it would be kinda cool if there was a mag holder for the rail lol.

the loader is designed to fit a rail for sticking it on the xdm mag carrier

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-16-2011, 02:28 AM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

I think you'll be pleased; my first firearm was a XDm in .40 cal. It is my favorite (I don't have a 1911 yet).

Old 09-16-2011, 02:33 AM   #5

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
lol the loader fits on the rail but the mag will fall out on its own. it would be kinda cool if there was a mag holder for the rail lol.

the loader is designed to fit a rail for sticking it on the xdm mag carrier
When 40 rounds of .45ACP is not enough to get the job done and you need to carry a loader on your belt...it's time to rethink the whole handgun thing.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-16-2011, 02:52 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 184 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
When 40 rounds of .45ACP is not enough to get the job done and you need to carry a loader on your belt...it's time to rethink the whole handgun thing.
My XDm45 is my "truck gun". It hangs out in a soft pistol pouch with a full JHP load (13+1, CorBon/Win Ranger), and then 4 more loaded range-ready mags (230gr FMJ). A zombie apolcalypse can be a sudden sort of happening from what I hear. 60+ rounds of 45acp oughta help usher me to something a little more practical.

I like the XDm45. I'm not especially fond of its monster grip, but that's not really negotiable when it comes to a 13+1 doublestack in 11mm. Very accurate gun and handles well. I only wish they made the XDm45 in their OD/Stainless finish...I love that look on the XDm series. Might add a 40sw just to get ahold of it.

Maybe it's just my own weird taste, but I think this is about as pretty as polymer gets:

Old 09-16-2011, 02:59 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 184 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
This pic deserves a caption, and it can be nothing other than "WTF?"

Enjoy your new gun. I hope it's as solid for you as mine has been for me. I picked one up in May of last year when they were brand spankin new, so I got the honor of dropping nearly $700 on it!

Old 09-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

submitted the form to get the 3 extra mags and pouch on the 12th of september via the online process and recieved them today on the 17th!! thats really fast!!

their website says 8-12 weeks im happy with 5 days

Old 09-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #9

Got my freebes from Springfield in about 5 days also. I was sure surprised at the quick tun around. Really enjoy shooting the XD(m) .45.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Bought mine 8/12. First time out I shot it better than I did my G19 after several years of practice. Recoil was remarkably light. I carry it in a Blade Tech UCH every day...and always looking forward to the range. WWB FMJ ammo is $31.99 for 100rds at Wally World in Houston.

BTW, in mid Sep, I took a chance and applied for the 9/1-11/30 free mag offer. I figured all they could do is say no. Included my 8/12 invoice. SA sent the three 13-rd mags plus a mag holster by FedEx in three days. Mistake? Maybe. Or maybe they figured I might some nut who would return his gun to the store, then buy it again. In any case, I already really liked the gun, and now I'm a fan of SA's customer relations.
Bill
SA XDm-45, Glock 19