1st pistol finally arrived...and Destiny?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > 1st pistol finally arrived...and Destiny?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 10:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 1st pistol finally arrived...and Destiny?

Finally, my first handgun arrived today and I am all giddy and excited about it.

The story, I few years ago (yes years ago), I contemplated buying a handgun. Did a lot of research and reading or specs online. I am certain at that point that my first gun will be a Glock 40 caliber (G22 or possibly a G35) but I never bought one. Couple of months back, the urge to buy came again and I physically checked the Glocks...to my horror, they don't feel well in my hands.

Went back to the drawing board, did more research and joined a few gun forums. Read a lot and asked more questions and was reluctantly steered towards 9mm (for all the good reasons). Later, gave in and concentrated my search on 9mm of; CZ 75B, H&K USP, Beretta PX4, S&W M&P, Springfield XD & XDM, Walther P99, & FN FNP9. A few were eliminated due to cost, fit, availability, etc.

Last week I ordered my pistol...a Springfield XDM-9 bi-tone SS/Black for $570. Even ordered 2 extra magazines so I will have 4 total. While waiting, I bough my cleaning kit, cleaning solvent and lubricant and last but not the least ammo 24 boxes x 50 of it from Walmart (22 Federal + 2 RWS).

Today, my FIRST pistol arrived and as mentioned above I am all excited. Everything is perfect but upon closer inspection, to my horror, I noticed it is .40 caliber and not 9mm!!!

I am not a super religious man but believe in divine intervention (or destiny?) so instead of returning it I decided to keep the 40 and have the 9mm mags replaced. Of course I also want to start playing with my FIRST pistol and don't want to wait 2 more weeks. (can you blame me?)

My dilemma is the 1,200 ammo in 9mm which I cannot return (or replace). Any ideas how I can dispose these 9mm ammo? At any rate, went back to Walmart today and start stockpiling 40 caliber ammo. Even bought 4 boxes of Federal HST online already.

I will try to post a picture soon and maybe a range report next week if I can since we will be busy entertaining the whole week. Hope I can sneak out a few hours.

Question...are this wear signs normal for a new (unfired) gun?

Last edited by Poink88; 03-09-2010 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Add pictures

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Gun pr0n plz, kthx.

In all seriousness, excellent choice. The XDm is an awesome gun, and I'm sure you'll be thrilled with it for years.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You'll have no problem selling the 9mm ammo online or in the local paper.

Congratulations on the XDm40!! It's a sweet looking polymer 17+1rd powerhouse! Nice price too!

Pictures please.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Congrats on your first. You never forget your first.

You could try to sell the 9mm ammo. Chances are that you won't get what you paid, but close. Or, just hold onto it and buy a Browning Hi-Power which will eat that 9mm like it is veal. What? Another gun? Well, you gotta do someting with the ammo...

Again, congrats on the pistol. If you have the opportunity, take a class. The training will come in handy and extra valuable while shooting your pistol.

Other than that, just revel in the enjoyment that is the sport of shooting.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Go to the range, make some shooting buddies, and sell them the ammo. I'd bet somebody would be glad to pay a fair price to dodge Walhell.

Congrats! I've been very happy with my XD45; i bet you will love your XDm.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:56 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Congrats!

Just made the plunge myself. My new xdm 9mm should arrive on wednesday.

I'm kind of wishing mine will turn up as a .40 as well.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:55 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome to the Dark Side.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-09-2010, 07:39 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase! I daresasy I'll get all giddy & excited when I'm finally able, too. The XDm would be my No#1 choice it looks so sweet, but alas we can't have a barrel length that short legally here...so you have my envy!

Will look forward to the pics & report

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 03-09-2010, 01:12 PM   #9

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Congratulations. You will be very happy with it.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #10

The gods has intervened. I would not be complaining to get the 40. That is a really nice gun. You shouldn't have a hard time dumping the 9mm ammo. And who knows you may get a 9 in the future. Guns are addicting.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending