Why snap caps?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Why snap caps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts

Default Why snap caps?

So if it is safe to dry fire a gun what is the point of snap caps when you could just dry fire without it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #2

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

First you need to learn the proper trigger pull. And snap caps relieve the stress on the firing pin when you are thus snapping-in.

Snap caps also allow you to test a magazine and how the slide is feeding on your pistol, without using dangerous live ammo.

Snap caps also allow you to practice your draw and shoot. This needs to be done in front of a mirror, about 20 times a day, every day, until you get good at it, perfect in every way. Snap caps protect your firing pin during the drill.

You need a firearms coach.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use snap caps at the range. I load my son in laws mag and he loads mine placing a snap cap where ever we feel like it. It teaches you to rack and asses and it proves you anticipate a recoil and push. dfter awhile you learn not to push just like you would not do if you were dry firing.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7663 Times on 4605 Posts
Likes Given: 9576

I use snap caps because I don't want to stress my gun by dry firing it and I use them at the range as Glock22gen3 describes. I practice with my guns at home a lot with snap caps.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:45 AM   #5

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts

I understand the reasons for dry firing but why bother with a center fired firearm?

Old 05-07-2012, 02:10 AM   #6

Liked 712 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectocotylus View Post
I understand the reasons for dry firing but why bother with a center fired firearm?
I think its more for peace of mind than anything else, I don't use them. But, I see no problen with others doing so if it makes them more comfortable.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:30 AM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectocotylus
The primer on a live round is soft and prevents the firing pin from from slamming forward. With no round in the chamber when you let the hammer fall on the firing pin it has nothing other than a spring to stop it from hitting the breechblock. I don't like the idea of the stresses involved in this. Although Sig says it is ok to dry fire their pistols I'd rather have the peace of mind of the snap cap.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:53 AM   #8

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

1911's are weak where the hammer strikes the firing pin. Look at the face there, on the left side and you will see where the metal is thin. Snap caps take some of the pressure off this area while dry firing.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:24 AM   #9

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Some manufactures recommend using snap caps in their pistols and others don't. Not sure if it's to cover their butts in case something does happen or what. I've never had a problem in center fire pistols either but I tend to use safe t trainer snap caps mainly because of their bright colors so they can't be confused for live ammo

ThinkFast...your life depends on it.

www.thinkfastholsters.com
www.facebook.com/thinkfastholsters
Instagram @thinkfastholsters

Old 06-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Its all a revenue generator. Snap caps are a result of ignorance. Somebody one day decided without any scientific study that dry firing your weapon all of a sudden was bad because it could damage the firing pin or whatever. If I dry fire my weapon for practice how is it going to damage my weapon? When you dry fire a weapon you have a hammer strike a firing pin and no explosion occurs. When you fire a live round an explosion occurs and releases thousands and thousands of psi in the chamber and forces another round to chamber. How is dry firing with just a click and no chamber pressure, explosive forces or anything internally stressful to the working parts more harmful than firing actual rounds?

Someone once told me that dry firing was like hyper extending your arm when you throw a ball. I disagree. The hammer strikes the firing pin which causes the firing pin to move forward and stop till it either strikes brass to set the primer off or in the case of dry firing stops when it hits the firing pin housing. Ive dried fired my Rock River AR-15 and my Kimber 1911 many a times and after 3-4 yrs. and have had no problem.

Sorry about the rant and run on sentences. lol