Why a huge flashlight ?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Why a huge flashlight ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 3

Default Why a huge flashlight ?

Vary-Your-Everyday-Carry

reading this got me thinking : Why do people carry those big, heavy, tactical-looking tube lights around with them ? there are compact headlamps weighing a 10th of that that emit enough light for just about anything ... i use one to hunt, sometimes, and I can see a good 10 m in fornt of me with a small petzl 4-led headlamp. I wouldn't use it as a fist filler / club if i had a knife ... i just don't see the need.
watchall think ?

marlin 1895sbl, g 30sf, wilson KZ45, & more
hoplophobia. : irrational fear of weapons as opposed to people.
odd : " oppositional defiance disorder. ", AKA having a spine. me to a tee.

... if the mafia was any bigger, it'd be our govt.
god guts gold guns, yeehaw
NAGR>NRA
45≠fat

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #2

Liked 2556 Times on 1149 Posts
Likes Given: 2451

They double as clubs. Try hitting something with one of those little lights and see how it works.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5732 Times on 2995 Posts
Likes Given: 379

When i was doing the military police thing i liked my big maglight. More effective than those cheap batons. Can easily smack in windows in an emergency to rescue trapped people.

They make a superb secondary weapon in a crowded situation. I used mine once to club a vicious dog into compliance in a crowded park. Wasnt safe to shoot it with a lot of kids and parents around.

Headlights can be useful if you need both hands free but lights make excellent targets and often draw fire if its that type of situation.

Fixing a flat tire in the dark and cleaning deer and such is different needs than a life or death situation.

I dont like weapon lights because to see who someone is you have to point a loaded firearm at the person!! i dont want to point a loaded gun at anyone justto confirm an identity!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

There are many situations where you don't want the light pointing in the same direction you are looking.

My preference is to keep my light separate and unattached from my firearm and my head.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
There are many situations where you don't want the light pointing in the same direction you are looking.

My preference is to keep my light separate and unattached from my firearm and my head.
yeah well why not rig something up where you hold a little light and you can smash things with your knife.
marlin 1895sbl, g 30sf, wilson KZ45, & more
hoplophobia. : irrational fear of weapons as opposed to people.
odd : " oppositional defiance disorder. ", AKA having a spine. me to a tee.

... if the mafia was any bigger, it'd be our govt.
god guts gold guns, yeehaw
NAGR>NRA
45≠fat

Old 01-22-2012, 05:33 AM   #6

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

4D mag light. Solves a lot of problems. And if used properly, makes a very efficient and easy to operate baton.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:01 AM   #7

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

At work, I try to carry two lights. A surefire, and a maglight 3d, because I don't have the option of a baton/firearm at work, and i'd rather not use the surefire when it can be avoided as them batteries are expensive

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 01-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailypoe View Post
yeah well why not rig something up where you hold a little light and you can smash things with your knife.
I generally prefer a handheld light, small or large, over a head mounted unit, again, so the light can be pointed independently. Large light vs small light is a matter of preference.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:37 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Carry a 4D mag light, shoulder height, shaft resting on your shoulder, your hand forward just behind the lens. If a goblin surprises you-------swing light with force forward and down onto goblin. At this point goblin emits a squeal of pain and becomes much less of a problem. Try that with a little tactical light.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:39 AM   #10

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Rock
Carry a 4D mag light, shoulder height, shaft resting on your shoulder, your hand forward just behind the lens. If a goblin surprises you-------swing light with force forward and down onto goblin. At this point goblin emits a squeal of pain and becomes much less of a problem. Try that with a little tactical light.
A little tac light can hurt like hell too, jammed into someone's face, but for the record, that's how I was trained to use a flashlight (as you described above) after I left the Marines, I just upgraded to a bigger light...