Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Why a huge flashlight ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/why-huge-flashlight-55972/)

Tailypoe 01-21-2012 11:49 AM

Why a huge flashlight ?

Vary-Your-Everyday-Carry

reading this got me thinking : Why do people carry those big, heavy, tactical-looking tube lights around with them ? there are compact headlamps weighing a 10th of that that emit enough light for just about anything ... i use one to hunt, sometimes, and I can see a good 10 m in fornt of me with a small petzl 4-led headlamp. I wouldn't use it as a fist filler / club if i had a knife ...:confused: i just don't see the need.
watchall think ?

rjd3282 01-21-2012 12:37 PM

They double as clubs. Try hitting something with one of those little lights and see how it works. :D

JonM 01-21-2012 03:08 PM

When i was doing the military police thing i liked my big maglight. More effective than those cheap batons. Can easily smack in windows in an emergency to rescue trapped people.

They make a superb secondary weapon in a crowded situation. I used mine once to club a vicious dog into compliance in a crowded park. Wasnt safe to shoot it with a lot of kids and parents around.

Headlights can be useful if you need both hands free but lights make excellent targets and often draw fire if its that type of situation.

Fixing a flat tire in the dark and cleaning deer and such is different needs than a life or death situation.

I dont like weapon lights because to see who someone is you have to point a loaded firearm at the person!! i dont want to point a loaded gun at anyone justto confirm an identity!!

Jeepergeo 01-21-2012 03:18 PM

There are many situations where you don't want the light pointing in the same direction you are looking.

My preference is to keep my light separate and unattached from my firearm and my head.

Tailypoe 01-22-2012 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepergeo (Post 684097)
There are many situations where you don't want the light pointing in the same direction you are looking.

My preference is to keep my light separate and unattached from my firearm and my head.

yeah well why not rig something up where you hold a little light and you can smash things with your knife.

trip286 01-22-2012 06:33 AM

4D mag light. Solves a lot of problems. And if used properly, makes a very efficient and easy to operate baton.

pagj17 01-22-2012 07:01 AM

At work, I try to carry two lights. A surefire, and a maglight 3d, because I don't have the option of a baton/firearm at work, and i'd rather not use the surefire when it can be avoided as them batteries are expensive:p

Jeepergeo 01-22-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tailypoe (Post 684895)
yeah well why not rig something up where you hold a little light and you can smash things with your knife.

I generally prefer a handheld light, small or large, over a head mounted unit, again, so the light can be pointed independently. Large light vs small light is a matter of preference.

Flint Rock 01-23-2012 02:37 AM

Carry a 4D mag light, shoulder height, shaft resting on your shoulder, your hand forward just behind the lens. If a goblin surprises you-------swing light with force forward and down onto goblin. At this point goblin emits a squeal of pain and becomes much less of a problem. Try that with a little tactical light.

trip286 01-23-2012 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint Rock
Carry a 4D mag light, shoulder height, shaft resting on your shoulder, your hand forward just behind the lens. If a goblin surprises you-------swing light with force forward and down onto goblin. At this point goblin emits a squeal of pain and becomes much less of a problem. Try that with a little tactical light.

A little tac light can hurt like hell too, jammed into someone's face, but for the record, that's how I was trained to use a flashlight (as you described above) after I left the Marines, I just upgraded to a bigger light...