Why does a suppressor make a rifle more accurate?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Why does a suppressor make a rifle more accurate?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Default Why does a suppressor make a rifle more accurate?

I was at the range today and one of the shooters hand a nice can, and commented to me how much more accurate it was with it than without it. He didn'tfeel he knew why so O wondered if one of you might be able to explain. He was shooting a AR-10.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Silencers reduce sound and recoil while increasing accuracy by favorably changing the harmonic vibration of the barrel as the shot is fired. http://gunworld.com/2011/04/18/the-benefits-of-using-a-silencer/

Old 03-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #3

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Plus the gases are released from behind the bullet in a controlled manor. If the base of the bullets are not 100% perfect the loose pressure at a different spot each shot nudging the bullet this way or that way.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using FirearmsTalk

Old 03-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #4

Wow great article.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #5

I am going to Germany and France in April. Are there any companies that make suppressors there. Would they make a 223/5.56?

Old 03-28-2012, 04:00 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9215 Times on 3975 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

Greg- the use of suppressors is more common in Europe, and does not have half the restrictions we have in the US. Matter of fact, in some areqas it is expected that you WILL use a suppressor and not annoy the neighbors.

Two points- a suppressor only knocks so much noise off a .223. If the bullet is supersonic, THAT makes a crack.

Second- If thinking about bringing a suppressor BACK to the US- is going to be a major exercise in frustration. Under US law, a suppressor IS a class III firearm. Yeah, I know it is not a gun, and YOU know that- but Federal law says it IS.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:13 AM   #7

Yea I know but at the prices here O just thought maybe I could shave a couple hundred off.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2872 Times on 1496 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Any money you might save by purchasing in Europe will get eaten up by import fees or fines if you choose to side step the legal importation route. You can also count on losing about 5 years of freedom as a guest of Club Fed.

Europeans consider it "ungentlemanly" to shoot an unsuppressed rifle in anything resembling a populated area.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-29-2012, 11:48 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Greg- the use of suppressors is more common in Europe, and does not have half the restrictions we have in the US. Matter of fact, in some areqas it is expected that you WILL use a suppressor and not annoy the neighbors.

Two points- a suppressor only knocks so much noise off a .223. If the bullet is supersonic, THAT makes a crack.

Second- If thinking about bringing a suppressor BACK to the US- is going to be a major exercise in frustration. Under US law, a suppressor IS a class III firearm. Yeah, I know it is not a gun, and YOU know that- but Federal law says it IS.
I use sound moderators on a 22LR 77/22 Ruger and my 6.5x55 Sako 85. The Ruger is as quiet as a mouse but only because I feed it subsonics, more than adequate for coney. The Sako being a deer rifle is supersonic and the moderator can only reduce the sharp crack as a bullet is fired, still loud but noticeably reduced.
The position in the UK is that a moderator is also as restricted as a firearm and is listed on your certificate, it's no trouble getting the permission though. Having said that if you buy a street legal air rifle in the UK this is not more than 12ft/lb of pressure you can buy a moderator over the counter without a certificate, however if you buy an air rifle of over 12ft/lb of pressure it becomes a section one firearm and you do need to have a certificate for the moderator even though it may be the very same moderator you have for your street legal air rifle. There has been talk over the last few years of the UK abolishing the certificate requirement for moderators and to be honest it's long over due. I blame some of the early US gangster movies - Mr Cagney etc - who clicked a "silencer" onto their handgun and it spat the bullet out with sound level of a gnat's fart. This frightened gullable authorities into thinking you could discharge a firearm without anyone hearing, hence the stupid restrictions.
As Mr H Simpson says, DOH!!

Quote:
Europeans consider it "ungentlemanly" to shoot an unsuppressed rifle in anything resembling a populated area.
Sorry this simple isn't true.

Co-owner: Hunter World UK

Last edited by photopro; 03-29-2012 at 11:51 PM.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #10

So airsoft makes a "moderator" that will work with subsonic rounds? Is that what your saying?