What size anchors to bolt down a safe?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > What size anchors to bolt down a safe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What size anchors to bolt down a safe?

What size anchors does everyone use to bolt their safe to a concrete floor? The anchoring holes in the floor of the safe are 3/8", should I use the largest I can, or are smaller anchors with proper washers ok?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Of course bigger is better, were in TEXAS! Diameter close to the 3/8 holes and 2 1/2 to 3". If you have a heavy firelined safe (mine is over 900 lbs empty) and then fill it with a few hundred #s of guns and gear it will be very difficult to steal anyway. The bolts are just insurance.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-04-2009, 03:09 PM   #3

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

All the guns and ammo in mine is what anchors it to the floor.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:10 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

The size needed is one size larger than the bad guys are willing to take the time and make the effort to break.

I use two 1/2" x 4" bolts into the concrete floor AND four 3/8" x 5" lag screws through the back side, two each going into two wall studs near the top.

Those are MY guns and my whole purpose in buying a safe is to keep them that way.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:50 AM   #5

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Use the largest anchors possible, but don't go too long.

I prefer Redhead brand sleeve anchors.

I used 3/8" x 4" anchors in the basement of my old house. It was built in '51 and apparently my slab was less than 4" thick, cause I came up with dirt on the drill bit.

Now my new house was buillt in 81, so I have more confidence that my slab is of appropriate thickness. My bat-cave is a 9' x 11' room in the front of my garage. 3/8x4" redheads and plenty of concrete below them.

They also back up to a concrete wall and have two 1/4"x2" Tapcons run through the backs of the safes to prevent anyone from rocking them.

My safes are also waterproof to 3 feet, and I chose not to use the washers provided, I used 1.5" fender washers with a rubber washer above and below the metal washer.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-11-2010, 04:56 AM   #6

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

The secret is to anchor in two planes.

The use of anchors into the safe's back and into the wall will be a force multiplier of security!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

5/8" grade 8 lag bolts in the floor and the wall SHOULD do the job-it's what I used in mine and I havn't had any problems.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 01-13-2010, 08:45 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Of course bigger is better, were in TEXAS! Diameter close to the 3/8 holes and 2 1/2 to 3". If you have a heavy firelined safe (mine is over 900 lbs empty) and then fill it with a few hundred #s of guns and gear it will be very difficult to steal anyway. The bolts are just insurance.

900lbs, Robo?

That's SERIOUS weight (408kg?? wtf!) We don't have to bolt our safes to the foundations of the dwelling if they are more than 150kg empty (330lbs). With 900lbs bolted...well I think you'd need a bomb of some sort lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
The secret is to anchor in two planes.

The use of anchors into the safe's back and into the wall will be a force multiplier of security!

Yep, cane. Legal requirement here is 4 anchor points (usually 2 in back wall, 2 in the baseplate, holes pre-drilled) I live in *cough* 'rented premises' so I can't drill into the floor [carpet]. When it eventually comes time to get my safe, I'm drilling an extra 2x into the SIDE wall, and situating the safe in a corner which should be a challenge to jemmy. So that's 2 anchor points back wall, 2 anchors side wall, none in floor.

I hope to god that's sufficient for the local police...my suburb is a bit dodgy, and they're just as likely to say "Nah!" just to be bastards about it You can't get a PTA (permit to accquire any firearm) without the local cops okaying your safe storage first.

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 01-13-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
5/8" grade 8 lag bolts in the floor and the wall SHOULD do the job-it's what I used in mine and I havn't had any problems.
Now you're talking, bear!! Most anchors are a lower carbon steel, going with grade 8 adds a great amount of strength.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 04-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #10

Default Where can I get a "grade 8" lag bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I have been looking everywhere for some six inch long, (5/8") or (3/4") diameter ("GRADE 8") lag bolt/screw. It must have treads for wood. Can you tell me where you bought yours?