Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   What size anchors to bolt down a safe? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/what-size-anchors-bolt-down-safe-20708/)

enderwig 12-03-2009 08:10 PM

What size anchors to bolt down a safe?

What size anchors does everyone use to bolt their safe to a concrete floor? The anchoring holes in the floor of the safe are 3/8", should I use the largest I can, or are smaller anchors with proper washers ok?

robocop10mm 12-04-2009 01:56 PM

Of course bigger is better, were in TEXAS! Diameter close to the 3/8 holes and 2 1/2 to 3". If you have a heavy firelined safe (mine is over 900 lbs empty) and then fill it with a few hundred #s of guns and gear it will be very difficult to steal anyway. The bolts are just insurance.

cpttango30 12-04-2009 03:09 PM

All the guns and ammo in mine is what anchors it to the floor.

1hole 12-04-2009 03:10 PM

The size needed is one size larger than the bad guys are willing to take the time and make the effort to break.

I use two 1/2" x 4" bolts into the concrete floor AND four 3/8" x 5" lag screws through the back side, two each going into two wall studs near the top.

Those are MY guns and my whole purpose in buying a safe is to keep them that way.

willfully armed 01-11-2010 04:50 AM

Use the largest anchors possible, but don't go too long.

I prefer Redhead brand sleeve anchors.

I used 3/8" x 4" anchors in the basement of my old house. It was built in '51 and apparently my slab was less than 4" thick, cause I came up with dirt on the drill bit.

Now my new house was buillt in 81, so I have more confidence that my slab is of appropriate thickness. My bat-cave is a 9' x 11' room in the front of my garage. 3/8x4" redheads and plenty of concrete below them.

They also back up to a concrete wall and have two 1/4"x2" Tapcons run through the backs of the safes to prevent anyone from rocking them.

My safes are also waterproof to 3 feet, and I chose not to use the washers provided, I used 1.5" fender washers with a rubber washer above and below the metal washer.

canebrake 01-11-2010 04:56 AM

The secret is to anchor in two planes.

The use of anchors into the safe's back and into the wall will be a force multiplier of security!

stalkingbear 01-11-2010 06:54 PM

5/8" grade 8 lag bolts in the floor and the wall SHOULD do the job-it's what I used in mine and I havn't had any problems.

zhuk 01-13-2010 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 193991)
Of course bigger is better, were in TEXAS! Diameter close to the 3/8 holes and 2 1/2 to 3". If you have a heavy firelined safe (mine is over 900 lbs empty) and then fill it with a few hundred #s of guns and gear it will be very difficult to steal anyway. The bolts are just insurance.

900lbs, Robo?

That's SERIOUS weight (408kg?? wtf!) We don't have to bolt our safes to the foundations of the dwelling if they are more than 150kg empty (330lbs). With 900lbs bolted...well I think you'd need a bomb of some sort lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 211129)
The secret is to anchor in two planes.

The use of anchors into the safe's back and into the wall will be a force multiplier of security!

Yep, cane. Legal requirement here is 4 anchor points (usually 2 in back wall, 2 in the baseplate, holes pre-drilled) I live in *cough* 'rented premises' so I can't drill into the floor [carpet]. When it eventually comes time to get my safe, I'm drilling an extra 2x into the SIDE wall, and situating the safe in a corner which should be a challenge to jemmy. So that's 2 anchor points back wall, 2 anchors side wall, none in floor.

I hope to god that's sufficient for the local police...my suburb is a bit dodgy, and they're just as likely to say "Nah!" just to be bastards about it :rolleyes: You can't get a PTA (permit to accquire any firearm) without the local cops okaying your safe storage first.

spittinfire 01-13-2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 211316)
5/8" grade 8 lag bolts in the floor and the wall SHOULD do the job-it's what I used in mine and I havn't had any problems.

Now you're talking, bear!! Most anchors are a lower carbon steel, going with grade 8 adds a great amount of strength.

calleyc 04-27-2012 08:40 PM

Where can I get a "grade 8" lag bolt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 211316)

I have been looking everywhere for some six inch long, (5/8") or (3/4") diameter ("GRADE 8") lag bolt/screw. It must have treads for wood. Can you tell me where you bought yours?