What To Look For In A Range Bag.....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > What To Look For In A Range Bag.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What To Look For In A Range Bag.....

Have started the process of returning to the target shooting sport after a long break (30 + years). Just took delivery of a Kimber 45. Looking to get a range bag. Been looking around on the internet....lots to choose from. Both the wife and myself are going to be going to the range together. I will eventually need something that will hold up to 4 handguns. Saw the review on the Tac Force bag on this forum. Sounds very nice. Been looking at the CED Deluxe Bag also. Was wondering what one should look for in a range bag. Things that make certain range bags better then others. Thanks

an "older" sort of newbie

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-23-2010, 04:29 PM   #2

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This is the one I have...

Range Bag - LaRue Tactical Pro Shooters

...and I love it! Lots of compartments. Separate removable sleeves for handguns and magazines. Removable brass bag. Good, strong hardware. Cool LaRue logo.

Last edited by lonyaeger; 11-23-2010 at 04:31 PM.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I have searched high and low for that perfect range bag and wish I had all the cash I've spent in this pursuit!

I've tried them all from my leather Colt bag to the ballistic nylon Blackhawk stuff.

Here's what I found;

1. Don't go for pretty!
  2. Do go for high utility.
  3. Price is not a condition of utility or quality.
  4. Camouflage range bags are a source of endless jokes.
  5. Pink camouflage range bags can result in you dropping shooting as a sport! (Unless you're my daughter!)
  6. Listen to others suggestions or follow them in their mistakes.....or at minimum, the unnecessary waste of cash.

Technical Information: What I look for in a Competition Range Bag
  • Overall Dimensions: 22"L x 15"W x 10"H
  • 9 Total pockets: 7 on main bag - 2 on removable stage bag/ammunition carrier
  • 14 Total magazine pouches 1-1/2"L x 4-1/2"H 8 in rear compartment - 6 in stage bag/ammunition carrier
  • Fired brass carrying bag 5" Diameter 6"H with cinch top, reinforced mesh bottom and chrome plated steel clasps
  • Heavy duty 2"W x 52"L removable carrying strap with shoulder pad and chrome plated steel clasps
  • Full wrap around carrying straps with 5" strap connector/handle with hook and loop closure
  • External ID pocket
  • 2 Non-slip stabilizing pads 2" x 5" on bottom of bag
  • Main compartment 17"L x 10"W x 10"H
  • Includes:
  • 2 removable padded pistol rugs with zippers 8-1/2"H x 12"W fit most large frame semi-auto pistols and revolvers with barrels up to 6"
  • Removable stage bag/ammunition carrier with carrying handles for portability 15"L x 5"W x7-1/2"H
  • Removable stage bag/ammunition carrier features:
  • 2 Padded zippered pockets 7-1/2"H x 15"L
  • 2 Padded moveable hook and loop equiped compartment walls
  • 2 Chrome plated steel D-rings for quick attachment of the carry strap
  • Full wrap-around nylon handles
  • Front compartments - 2 Padded zippered pockets 8"L x 2"W x 8"H
  • Right side compartment - 1 Padded zippered pocket 8"L x 2"W x 8"H with 5 internal elastic accessory holders 1-1/4"W x 2-1/2"H
  • Left side compartments - 1 Padded zippered pocket 4"L x 2"W x 8"H and 1 padded beverage holder with drain hole
  • Rear compartment - 1 Padded zippered pocket 8"L x 2"W x 16"W which features:
  • 8 magazine pouches
  • Internal padded pocket 8"L by 15-1/2"W
  • 12 various sized internal elastic accessory holders designed to hold brushes, jags etc for calibers from 50 down to 17

If you agree with my range bag criteria I can save you a lot of time and money:

MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag - MidwayUSA

All you need to do is pick the color you want and if you do it before 11/30 it's on sale for $39.99!

Need more info to convince you? Read the customer feed-back.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-23-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5687 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 378

i would so be there for a high quality pink camo rucksack for a rang bag. i just have a military surplus circa early 90's camo ruck. its good enough to carry the ammo a few screwdrivers and a basic cleaning kit, i also carry a couple of water bottles in it. i like multi purpose stuff. my ruck also serves my needs for hunting and as an emergency survival bag when im fishing.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...