Wearing a Vest - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Wearing a Vest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 895 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I use Amour All on my leather jacket!! No bullet has penetrated it yet.

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

HOSSFLY Likes This 
Old 03-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1104 Times on 612 Posts
Likes Given: 467

So let me get this straight, using a CC gun is a such a rare occurrence that most people carrying will never need it, but in a close encounter of the worst kind where you may be shot, wearing a vest is mall ninja or tin foil hat thinking?

Why bother carrying a gun with you if you're so unlikely to ever need it?

Doesn't the same argument about carrying a handgun with you everywhere apply to protection against the same threat?

Do you primarily carry a gun for defense against armed criminals?

That's why I carry mine, so I just thought I'd ask.

If you can't legally carry a gun somewhere but may legally wear your vest, is it better to have some protection afforded to you, or do you just throw your hands up in the air and say to hell with it because you can't carry your gun?

I haven't had any problem wearing my vest working (office work, not chopping down trees), doing chores around the house like mowing the lawn, exercising at the gym, and even to sleep. The day I first purchased it my wife didn't know I was wearing it until she touched me. Given that a III-A concealable vest is more than comfortable enough to sleep in, what's the resistance to wearing one?

If you spent more than $600 dollars on a firearm, and thousands of dollars in ammunition, how could you use cost as a justification for not using a vest?

I haven't been in a car accident since I was a child, but I still put my seat belt on every time I get into my truck (new one just like the old one before it was smashed, except the old one was made in Arlington, TX and the new one was born in Fort Wayne, IN).

Last year my wife was hit by a police officer who went through a red light at about twice the legal speed limit (60-70 according to the investigator, speed limit 35). Chevrolet Silverado 1500 vs Ford Crown Victoria. What are the odds of that happening? If anyone wants to see the pictures of the truck, I can post them. She's alive and walking around today, as is the police officer, because both of them were wearing their seat belts and those silly airbags (which cut and bruised both of them but prevented more serious injury) stopped their heads from bouncing off something hard. Given what I saw of what was left of the police cruiser and my truck, I'd have a hard time saying anyone would have just walked away from that accident, but both parties did just that.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #13

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

The soft vests will do a pretty good job againdt handguns (diffrent ratings yadayada)

if you are in a civil war nothing less than plate carriers will do as your opponents will be using rifles.
For anti thug defense Kevlar vests are a hgreta addtion.

Cops manage going on patrol with them day in and day out.

So if a bunch of thugs are in your hosue and you have the time to throw on a Kevlar vest , why not?

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 03-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

if you people want to walk around wearing BP vests, then by all means do so.

too much emphasis on what ifs and what might happen. Jesus H. Christ on a crutch! you people need to start living and stop worrying about whether this or that is going to happen.

i'm sorry but this is just a tad rediculous IMo. but go right ahead by all means. better yet why not hunker down in some bunker and just become hermits. then you wouldn't have to worry about the BG's being able to kill you because you didn't wear your BP vest!

Old 03-03-2013, 02:52 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Axxe55, so let's review here:

You and your wife both train on a regular basis to use a shotgun against someone who may attempt to break into your house. At least you stated this in a different thread, so I'm going to take you at your word.

Having a firearm ready to use to prevent someone from breaking into your house is common sense to you, or so it would seem from my perspective.

Using a ballistic vest to prevent you from being seriously wounded if shot by criminals attempting to break into your house, total crazy talk.

I live on a street where just about every house has been broken into or had a home invasion. The neighbor who lives in the house to the right of me moved after a series of break ins and a home invasion. He stated to me that in each case the police arrived in time to take a police report, but never did catch whomever was breaking into his house (or the other houses on our block). The police stated it was a real problem, but never were able to catch the crooks. The police station is just under a mile down the road. The only reason I found out about the incident was because he came over to our house the next day and asked me if the same thing was happening to me.

He was a nice man, lawyer from California who moved here for work, with a wife and two children.

I asked him if he ever considered getting an alarm system, a gun and training to use it, and/or perhaps a dog or some burglar bars on his home. He looked at me like I was crazy.

I may be in the minority here, but I think I have a right to live in my own home and I think my neighbors have a right to live in their homes. We live and work in the city because it's convenient, shorter commutes to work, easy access to stores/doctors/hospitals/schools, and the city is actually adding jobs to the economy on a regular basis.

Our house is one of the few houses on the street that has not been broken into since we started living here. Our house was broken into a couple of times before we moved into it. We have burglar bars on the windows, a large dog (to warn us when someone is on the property), and a security system. If all that fails to deter someone from breaking in, my Glock and my vest are my final options. If my wife or I can make it to the safe, we have an AR-15 and 870.

I can't honestly say I concern myself too much with what might happen, I just think if you carry a gun for the purpose of shooting criminals who are trying to shoot you, it might be a good idea to wear a vest.

The police seem to wear vests so they can avoid the consequences of getting shot in the chest. Is that perfectly normal for the average police officer but not for the average citizen? Police officers also carry firearms with them. Would you call the police paranoid, given that the citizens seem to run into the criminals far more often? Shouldn't the superior firearms training that the police receive, with respect to the average citizen, negate their need for a vest?

Just like car accidents, nobody plans for gunfights to happen to them. If you have several thousand dollars worth of weapons and ammunition, how much more benefit can you get from another gun, apart from personal enjoyment?

I'm pretty sure the same logic has been applied by liberals to explain to all of us peons why there's no reason for us to have firearms. Do you agree with them? Just curious.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:12 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5824 Times on 3293 Posts
Likes Given: 5298

I wore one every day for many years. I retired 15 years ago, and it hasn't come off of the hanger since I walked out the door.

Not practical unless you have a real need.

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 03-03-2013, 03:42 AM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Axxe55, so let's review here:

You and your wife both train on a regular basis to use a shotgun against someone who may attempt to break into your house. At least you stated this in a different thread, so I'm going to take you at your word.

Having a firearm ready to use to prevent someone from breaking into your house is common sense to you, or so it would seem from my perspective.

Using a ballistic vest to prevent you from being seriously wounded if shot by criminals attempting to break into your house, total crazy talk.

I live on a street where just about every house has been broken into or had a home invasion. The neighbor who lives in the house to the right of me moved after a series of break ins and a home invasion. He stated to me that in each case the police arrived in time to take a police report, but never did catch whomever was breaking into his house (or the other houses on our block). The police stated it was a real problem, but never were able to catch the crooks. The police station is just under a mile down the road. The only reason I found out about the incident was because he came over to our house the next day and asked me if the same thing was happening to me.

He was a nice man, lawyer from California who moved here for work, with a wife and two children.

I asked him if he ever considered getting an alarm system, a gun and training to use it, and/or perhaps a dog or some burglar bars on his home. He looked at me like I was crazy.

I may be in the minority here, but I think I have a right to live in my own home and I think my neighbors have a right to live in their homes. We live and work in the city because it's convenient, shorter commutes to work, easy access to stores/doctors/hospitals/schools, and the city is actually adding jobs to the economy on a regular basis.

Our house is one of the few houses on the street that has not been broken into since we started living here. Our house was broken into a couple of times before we moved into it. We have burglar bars on the windows, a large dog (to warn us when someone is on the property), and a security system. If all that fails to deter someone from breaking in, my Glock and my vest are my final options. If my wife or I can make it to the safe, we have an AR-15 and 870.

I can't honestly say I concern myself too much with what might happen, I just think if you carry a gun for the purpose of shooting criminals who are trying to shoot you, it might be a good idea to wear a vest.

The police seem to wear vests so they can avoid the consequences of getting shot in the chest. Is that perfectly normal for the average police officer but not for the average citizen? Police officers also carry firearms with them. Would you call the police paranoid, given that the citizens seem to run into the criminals far more often? Shouldn't the superior firearms training that the police receive, with respect to the average citizen, negate their need for a vest?

Just like car accidents, nobody plans for gunfights to happen to them. If you have several thousand dollars worth of weapons and ammunition, how much more benefit can you get from another gun, apart from personal enjoyment?

I'm pretty sure the same logic has been applied by liberals to explain to all of us peons why there's no reason for us to have firearms. Do you agree with them? Just curious.
partner you really need to slack off some of that crap your smoking. it's beginning to make you paranoid. i ain't walking around my house wearing a BP vest waiting on some BG's to break in.

i can't even try anymore to reply to you on this thread because you are too far out there for me! at some point, some things become over the top. well you reached that point. i am really sorry that i even wasted my time with this thread. i out of this one. you enjoy yourself.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:33 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Axxe55, it's kinda hard to have a discussion with anyone when they use non-sequiturs or inconsistent logic. In a different thread you were extolling the virtues of the 12 gauge shotgun for home defense over an AR-15 to arm someone who weighs 100 pounds. That logic or lack thereof notwithstanding, in this thread you're saying that having a small form of protection against someone who may use a firearm against you is equivalent to "smoking something", "not living life", or "anyone wearing a vest should live in a bunker". Yeah, I guess you lost me. Arguing with you is a lot like arguing with liberals. Any questioning about your thought process, even if only to try to understand what goes on in your head, leads to lots of personal attacks and no reasoned responses to explain your thinking in response to my questions.

If you simply disagree, that's fine, but I think you take this stuff a little too personally. Nothing you say to me will dissuade me from wearing a vest and carrying a gun and I'm not trying to convince you to do the same, just explain the logic behind carrying or having a gun ready to use but not having any protection against the same. In a previous post you stated that actually needing a gun is a rare event. If that event comes to pass, what are the odds that you may not be faster than a speeding bullet on that same day?

Old 03-03-2013, 04:46 AM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

A gun is convenient. A vest is not. We are a generation of convenience.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #20

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Axxe55, it's kinda hard to have a discussion with anyone when they use non-sequiturs or inconsistent logic. In a different thread you were extolling the virtues of the 12 gauge shotgun for home defense over an AR-15 to arm someone who weighs 100 pounds. That logic or lack thereof notwithstanding, in this thread you're saying that having a small form of protection against someone who may use a firearm against you is equivalent to "smoking something", "not living life", or "anyone wearing a vest should live in a bunker". Yeah, I guess you lost me. Arguing with you is a lot like arguing with liberals. Any questioning about your thought process, even if only to try to understand what goes on in your head, leads to lots of personal attacks and no reasoned responses to explain your thinking in response to my questions.

If you simply disagree, that's fine, but I think you take this stuff a little too personally. Nothing you say to me will dissuade me from wearing a vest and carrying a gun and I'm not trying to convince you to do the same, just explain the logic behind carrying or having a gun ready to use but not having any protection against the same. In a previous post you stated that actually needing a gun is a rare event. If that event comes to pass, what are the odds that you may not be faster than a speeding bullet on that same day?
After reading all you "thoughts" i really think you SHOULD wear a vest
Especially around those who know you & must endure listening to those said "thoughts----
As been stated---jeeeeze

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

axxe55 Likes This