Wearing a Vest
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Wearing a Vest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1220 Times on 681 Posts
Likes Given: 526

Default Wearing a Vest

I know that we're all primarily here to talk about guns (duh), but with the frenzy of recent firearms purchases, has anyone else here given any thought to purchasing or using a ballistic vest?

If you carry and use a firearm to defend yourself against criminals who choose to carry and use firearms, does it make sense to have something more than a gun of your own and a polo shirt for concealed carry?

I like to think that my regular practice and training give me an advantage over someone who does not do those things, but I realize that I can't carry everywhere, I don't move faster than a speeding bullet, and I can't easily replace any of the stuff inside of me (although my wife maintains that all the stuff inside of me is easily replaced with a trip to a cattle pasture).

I realize they get hot and are not particularly comfortable, especially here in Texas, but I think they're an invaluable piece of equipment. Vest technology is decent these days and there are a variety of options available from a variety of manufacturers.

I think of my vest the same way as the seat belt in my truck. I use it not because the likelihood of being in a car wreck or being shot is so high, but rather the consequences of a collision or being shot are so severe.

I'd like to hear other peoples' thoughts about why they do or do not own and use a ballistic vest. If you own one, do you regularly use it? Would you purchase a second firearm before purchasing a vest?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
I know that we're all primarily here to talk about guns (duh), but with the frenzy of recent firearms purchases, has anyone else here given any thought to purchasing or using a ballistic vest?

If you carry and use a firearm to defend yourself against criminals who choose to carry and use firearms, does it make sense to have something more than a gun of your own and a polo shirt for concealed carry?

I like to think that my regular practice and training give me an advantage over someone who does not do those things, but I realize that I can't carry everywhere, I don't move faster than a speeding bullet, and I can't easily replace any of the stuff inside of me (although my wife maintains that all the stuff inside of me is easily replaced with a trip to a cattle pasture).

I realize they get hot and are not particularly comfortable, especially here in Texas, but I think they're an invaluable piece of equipment. Vest technology is decent these days and there are a variety of options available from a variety of manufacturers.

I think of my vest the same way as the seat belt in my truck. I use it not because the likelihood of being in a car wreck or being shot is so high, but rather the consequences of a collision or being shot are so severe.

I'd like to hear other peoples' thoughts about why they do or do not own and use a ballistic vest. If you own one, do you regularly use it? Would you purchase a second firearm before purchasing a vest?
for the most part, they probably work just fine and do the job they were designed to do. but how practical would they be to wear everyday for the average person?

heavy, hot and expensive is what comes to mind. and wouldn't people really know you were wearing one?

IMO, i don't think most people could function in a vest in their jobs. i know there is no way i could. it would be such an hindrance in trying to do my job.

for the vast majority of people who CC, even using their firearm is going to be at most a remote occurence. so wearing a BP vest just seems like being over the top for trying to protecting yourself in some remote type of attack that most of us will never even see.

just my thoughts.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #3

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

I have a plate carrier and level III plates that i use for testing and advanced tactical courses. Other than those two activities i will most never likely need them. Especially in the civilian world, may down the road once I am a leo

Old 03-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7772 Times on 4215 Posts
Likes Given: 16438

Practice your draw

image-2821377467.jpg   image-1588604295.jpg  

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 03-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #5

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
for the most part, they probably work just fine and do the job they were designed to do. but how practical would they be to wear everyday for the average person?

heavy, hot and expensive is what comes to mind. and wouldn't people really know you were wearing one?

IMO, i don't think most people could function in a vest in their jobs. i know there is no way i could. it would be such an hindrance in trying to do my job.

for the vast majority of people who CC, even using their firearm is going to be at most a remote occurence. so wearing a BP vest just seems like being over the top for trying to protecting yourself in some remote type of attack that most of us will never even see.

just my thoughts.
Yup ^^
A flack jacket & a tin foil hat

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #6

Liked 602 Times on 322 Posts

I managed to get out of the Marines with my flak jacket, I added a 10 piece tactical vest setup to it. I know it's not for everyday use, bit if "it" hits the fan ill be ready. I got it hanging I'm my closet with full mags, knife, light, first aid kit, gps, MRE, batteries,and some survival gear. People look at me funny when I wear it out shooting at the BML land here in Cali. People don't realize that you need to train with your gear!

Old 03-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #7

IMO, not practical for everyday wearing.

just kind of strikes me as someone trying to play mall ninja!

Old 03-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #8

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post

thanks Hossfly for that image! i could have gone all day without that!

Old 03-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #10

Liked 602 Times on 322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

Well when you wore it for 8 years and in two wars, you kid of rate to own and wear one. Mall ninja..... please! Didn't say it's for everyday use,but if you have ever been in combat? You don't wear a fanny pack or bring a range bag.

Last edited by Sgt_Skrb_25; 03-02-2013 at 05:13 PM.
People Like This