Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   The Walmart taclight. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/walmart-taclight-81280/)

sputnik1988 01-14-2013 07:06 AM

The Walmart taclight.

1 Attachment(s)
Seeing as I was in the market for a light on my Glock 19 and Walmart has a return policy, I thought I would try this thing out for informational purposes and probably return it.

I'm sure that many of you guys have seen them in the sporting goods section and laughed, just as I did.

The designation of the light is the 'Nebo Protec Elite HP190' not exactly the most marketable name, but then again, it is at Walmart:rolleyes:

I wanted to hate this thing, but I simply can't, at 190 lumens its insanely bright, has a strobe feature, an aluminum body, is 'weatherproof' and comes with a battery, all at under 40 bucks.

On the downside, it is a bit large for a compact handgun and as a result is a bit heavy. The off/on switch is also not exactly what I would prefer, but it is very usable and can be actuated quickly. I've attached a couple of pics for you guys.

I would encourage you guys on a budget to take a look at these, they work well and Walmart does except returns. Although you may be made fun of by the guys with high dollar stuff.;)

sputnik1988 01-14-2013 07:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Inside.......

dsheppard 01-14-2013 07:19 AM

Wow thats not bad at all for walmart. But the question is. Will it hold up?

sputnik1988 01-14-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsheppard (Post 1092961)
Wow thats not bad at all for walmart. But the question is. Will it hold up?

We will see I guess.:p

Hoping it does, I'll update in a few hundred rounds.

sputnik1988 11-01-2013 08:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot to update:o

Well it's been close to a year and this thing is still ticking, I honestly don't even plan on getting another light anymore. I still wouldn't put it on a $900 pistol but on a budget this thing is great.

I've shot everything from WWB to +P JHPs with the light on and it won't stop... Still don't like the off/on switch though.

DeltaF 11-01-2013 08:15 AM

Nebo isn't a "Walmart" light anymore than Remington is a "Walmart" rifle. I was seeing them on the shelves of the old country hardware and farm supply stores way before I ever saw them at Walmart. Lots of guys in law enforcement here use the handheld ones for every day bang around lights.

Obviously we're gonna go with a TLR on our Glocks. But as you have found out for yourself, nebos are usually pretty reliable. I didn't know they made gun lights though. I wonder if they make one small enough for my Keltec pf9... I wouldn't trust a nebo on my duty weapon but id love to have a cheap light for one of my pocket guns.

sputnik1988 11-01-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaF (Post 1419675)
Nebo isn't a "Walmart" light anymore than Remington is a "Walmart" rifle. I was seeing them on the shelves of the old country hardware and farm supply stores way before I ever saw them at Walmart. Lots of guys in law enforcement here use the handheld ones for every day bang around lights.

Obviously we're gonna go with a TLR on our Glocks. But as you have found out for yourself, nebos are usually pretty reliable. I didn't know they made gun lights though. I wonder if they make one small enough for my Keltec pf9... I wouldn't trust a nebo on my duty weapon but id love to have a cheap light for one of my pocket guns.

Yeah I know, but it was just funny at the time seeing this where I get my groceries. My local Walmart actually carries surefire lights now:eek: they have one in the knife case for like $350

I've only seen two of the Nebo pistol lights, this one and another one that's even bigger, it has a laser though.

DeltaF 11-01-2013 08:32 AM

One issue we have found with the cheaper LED lights is that a little battery acid will short them out before you can blink. Even a nicer light won't stand up to acid corrosion but these just seem to freak out at the first sign of it. And the battery starts leaking way before it runs down if you don't have the light on all the time.

So change the batteries like clockwork if you want to keep it running!