Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Vehicle mounted gun safe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Vehicle mounted gun safe?

Has anyone done this? I'd like to bolt a small safe under the seat for a pistol. I have a good friend (he's actually our rangemaster) who always has at least one rifle in the back seat of his pickup. While I like his mindset, I wouldn't want my truck getting broken into and having my rife loose in the hands of a scumbag.

So I guess I'm also looking for creative ideas to keep a rifle locked in my truck. Maybe I should just get one of those sig 556 pistols and find a way to secure it.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-05-2011, 05:20 AM   #2
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1278 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Highspeed, tell me if this is what you're thinking of, or if you had something else in mind: Truck gun safe

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-05-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 137 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 149

I would rather have a well mounted Steel Safe than a hiding place. That is what SWAT does with their full auto weapons in their SUV's.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2592 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Check with Santacruzgunlocks.com They make a simple, but effective long gun lock that is easily bolted in the vehicle. It will not be out of sight but it will be secure.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #5

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Highspeed, tell me if this is what you're thinking of, or if you had something else in mind: Truck gun safe
That's pretty cool, but does it lock in some way?

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Old 08-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1098 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
thats neat but if it was mine i would make some upgrades, say make a steel box w/lid to bolt to truck and just us that plastic as a sort of insert

Old 08-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
That's pretty cool, but does it lock in some way?
Took a little searching, but here it is! Lock kit

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
thats neat but if it was mine i would make some upgrades, say make a steel box w/lid to bolt to truck and just us that plastic as a sort of insert
Well, here are some all-steel options. I know the second one isn't what you are looking for, but I posted it for others that may be looking for a larger, locked storage option.

Console Vault

truck vault I found out later these start at $1485.

Mountable Safe

Low-Profile Safe This is a Police supply company and has many in-car storage solutions. Check this site out for sure!

Hideaway Safes

There are others, but they are selling the same types of products as these companies and a lot of these are either the manufacturers or large distributors with good prices. I hope this gets you closer!

Old 08-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #9

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
Has anyone done this? I'd like to bolt a small safe under the seat for a pistol. I have a good friend (he's actually our rangemaster) who always has at least one rifle in the back seat of his pickup. While I like his mindset, I wouldn't want my truck getting broken into and having my rife loose in the hands of a scumbag.
How much room do you have under your seat? TekGreg mentioned quite a few options as well if you have the space. This one can be mounted horizontally as well and it's 3/16" steel with a Simplex lock. Your gun is holstered and it presents it to you once you enter the combination. With this style lock you don't need to see it, just feel the buttons and push the correct ones. Very easy, reliable a fast even in the dark.

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Old 08-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #10

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

In my Explorer I don't have room under the seat so I have it mounted behind the console. I can access it quickly from the drivers seat.

Glenn
FAS1SAFE