TSA approved Pistol Case Questions - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > TSA approved Pistol Case Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 05:41 AM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 215 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwar1423
I use a hard, lockable case (plastic), using TSA approved locks. Place ammo in its original box or empty box. Your empty magazines can be in the lockable case & the box/es of ammo (up to 10 lbs) can be in the same checked luggage. Each airport has different procedures. It's easier with the TSA approved locks, because if there's a need to open the case after being x-rayed, they have the tool to use. If you have a key, you have to find key, turn it over to agent, wait to get key back.
Are you saying its a case like a pelican case and the ammo goes in the case with the pistol and mags? I suppose a pelican 1170 or similar will do for that. If TSA needs to be able to access and they can't they'll break it open. So it pays to use those TSA locks.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 01-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #12

It can be any lockable case (metal or plastic). If you buy a new gun, some of the cases they come in are lockable (have hole for lock). TSA won't cut your lock if they need to check inside. Once your luggage is x-rayed & good to go, the agent comes out to tell you you're free to go to gate or gives your key back if you gave the agent one. You can have empty mags in your gun case. Ammo can't be in the gun case, but can be in the same luggage you have gun case in.

I bought a plastic lockable gun case that can hold 2 guns & 3 mags for each gun.

One thing to consider with deciding what kind of gun case to buy is the weight. That's why I went with plastic.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 215 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Kind of a scary proposition when you do t get the same information from more than one source. I do t mean you all here, but rather gun shops or ranges. I am going to print out the TSA regs as well as the airlines regs and bring them with me. TSA says the ammo can go in the case with the firearm as long as its in a secure box and not in the mags others say differently. Being that I live and am flying out of New Jersey I will also bring all of my documentation regarding the registration of the firearm, my fpid card and naturally my FL CCW permit. I'm going to give myself an extra hour over my normal hour cushion and follow the rules. Naturally I will update you all on how it goes.
Since the original case for the particular firearm I am bringing doesn't have a Hasp to use a lock, I am purchasing a case to travel with. I decided to go with a SKB 3I case and I will cut the foam to fit all my gear. I didn't like the pull and pluck of the pelican cases, the SKB has solid layers of foam. I will turn use standard master lock keyed brass locks.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 01-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1315 Times on 780 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwar1423 View Post
I use a hard, lockable case (plastic), using TSA approved locks. Place ammo in its original box or empty box. Your empty magazines can be in the lockable case & the box/es of ammo (up to 10 lbs) can be in the same checked luggage. Each airport has different procedures. It's easier with the TSA approved locks, because if there's a need to open the case after being x-rayed, they have the tool to use. If you have a key, you have to find key, turn it over to agent, wait to get key back.
TSA approved lock is a violation of federal law. And no, you NEVER turn the key over to a TSA agent, that is also a violation of federal law. Check out the link I posted, watch the video.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:43 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 237 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Flew Southwest Portland OR to Vegas and back last May

Plastic case, 3 pistols. Locked with two non-TSA locks, cable locked
to an eye inside my softside suitcase.

Portland----declared, they sent me and bag down the concourse to "the
gun guy". Watched as he swabbed the suitcase, good to go.

Vegas---declared, they take the bag. I'm told "go down there by that
American flag, wait 10 minutes. If nobody comes out to get you you
are good to go.". Nobody did.

FWIW, in the last several flights I've made with guns they haven't asked
me to open the case once. Lay the guns flat in the case, lay the case flat
in the suitcase. Don't have any x-ray opaque items above or below the
gun case. If they can get a good flat look at the case they can see what's
in it.

Airlines---Southwest and Alaska are the most gun friendly.

Tip: Buy one of the cheap $6 or so luggage scales. Guns and ammo are
HEAVY---doesn't take much to bump up over the 50 lb. limit. When the wife
and I came back from Vegas, we shuffled stuff around to where she had
all the magazines for both guns, and my range bag in her suitcase. Both
hit the scales at the airport at 49 lbs. Cheap insurance---the heavy bag
fee is a lot worse than the cost of the scales.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:02 AM   #16
hmh

Liked 181 Times on 123 Posts

Non TSA locks, a walmart hard lockable pistol case, unloaded ammo in factory box. When you get up to the counter just say "I would like to declare a firearm" fill out a several line card. As easy as that.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:09 AM   #17

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

I wouldn't give the TSA a chance to steal my firearm

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD