Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > are Truglo night sites reliable?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default are Truglo night sites reliable?

Internet comments a couple years ago said Truglo's were not reliable and subject to breakage. Is this your experience and if so are they now reliable night sights?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #2

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm assuming you are talking about TruGlow's TFO sights (tritium + fiber optic for those of you who might not be familiar).

Several years ago I read about complaints that the fiber optic rods had a tendency to separate from the bases. Several vendors of the sights indicated subsequently that the problem had been fixed.

I had a set of green-green TFOs installed on my XD-40 about three years ago. I use this gun as my EDC, and I haven't experienced any problem whatsoever.

I would recommend them.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Last edited by treehugger49; 02-27-2013 at 12:20 PM.
DarrinD Likes This 
Old 02-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I have had TFO's on Glocks, S&W M&P's and a S&W SD9. Never had any issues nor do I know of anyone who had first hand problems with their TFO's. The only complaints I have heard of were internet-based, which you have to take with a grain of salt. The TFO's provide a very bright day time sight picture with the fiber optics and a reasonable night time glow. They are especially good for people with less than perfect eye sight.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the input

Old 02-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #5

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry18
I have had TFO's on Glocks, S&W M&P's and a S&W SD9. Never had any issues nor do I know of anyone who had first hand problems with their TFO's. The only complaints I have heard of were internet-based, which you have to take with a grain of salt. The TFO's provide a very bright day time sight picture with the fiber optics and a reasonable night time glow. They are especially good for people with less than perfect eye sight.
Where did you get them for the sigma? Everybody I talk to tells me where to go lol

Old 02-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #6

Here's a source for more information on TFOs than you'll get in advertising. This is a link from James (NIck) Nicholas who did the install of TFOs on my XD. I recommend him highly. He goes by ajamesp51 on the XD forum.

http://www.xd-hs2000.com/xd-hs2000/Truglo_TFO.html

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 03-01-2013, 01:28 AM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Where did you get them for the sigma? Everybody I talk to tells me where to go lol
That gun is a Smith & Wesson SD9 VE, which I suppose is sort of a Gen5 Sigma (or maybe Gen6) but it's not the same as the SW9VE. The SD9 and SD9 VE series use the same sights as the M&P series. So those sights are actually for a Smith & Wesson M&P.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:13 AM   #8

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry18

That gun is a Smith & Wesson SD9 VE, which I suppose is sort of a Gen5 Sigma (or maybe Gen6) but it's not the same as the SW9VE. The SD9 and SD9 VE series use the same sights as the M&P series. So those sights are actually for a Smith & Wesson M&P.
Mine is a sw40ve and I've always been under the assumption they were all considered a "sigma" so what would be some differences between mine and yours aside from caliber? And this means those sights wouldn't work on my model? I've wanted a green 3 dot night sight since I've had the gun but it seams like no one makes them

Old 03-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
Mine is a sw40ve and I've always been under the assumption they were all considered a "sigma" so what would be some differences between mine and yours aside from caliber? And this means those sights wouldn't work on my model? I've wanted a green 3 dot night sight since I've had the gun but it seams like no one makes them
Go to the site I referenced in post #6 and ask Nick if the M&P sights will fit your gun - he may know, and he does sell sights for the M&P.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #10

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts

I have had green on green tfo's on my xdm for over a year now or so and i love them and have recommended them several times, very bright day and night never one issue and the cases are smooth and function for holsters like the stock ones. 10/10.

image-3129468300.jpg