Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   tritium fiber fell out (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/tritium-fiber-fell-out-29076/)

TheDaggle 07-07-2010 03:57 PM

tritium fiber fell out
 
Eventful day at the range monday. My AR started jamming AND the fiber optic in my p226's front sight post fell out. I'd there a solid way to re-attach the TFO fiber or should I make a warranty claim?

CA357 07-07-2010 04:03 PM

It should just click/lock back into place. If it doesn't, then use a new rod. Failing that, contact the manufacturer and have them send you a replacement rod or two. They should do it free as a sign of good faith.

If the rod will still not stay tight, then I guess you'll have to send the slide to them to have a new sight installed.

CA357 07-07-2010 04:08 PM

Oops, I was thinking of fiber optic sights. I guess you'll have to send the slide back to the sight manufacturer. I wouldn't mess with it.

Sorry about the confusion.

TheDaggle 07-07-2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 311355)
Oops, I was thinking of fiber optic sights. I guess you'll have to send the slide back to the sight manufacturer. I wouldn't mess with it.

Sorry about the confusion.

No confusion, it is the fiber optic sight. It doesn't click into place, though. I guess I'll call the manufacturer and try to get a new rod. Thanks, CA.

robocop10mm 07-07-2010 05:25 PM

If it is fiber optic and not tritium, they are secured by melting the ends with a butane lighter. The front end, not the part you sight in on.

TheDaggle 07-07-2010 08:18 PM

My sights were advertised as "tritium fiber optic", so I thought tritium WAS fiber optic. Google has educated me otherwise. My rear sights are tritium, my front sight is fiber optic, and the fiber optic popped out. I'll try the lighter, robo, thanks!

JazzDoc 09-22-2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaggle (Post 311472)
My sights were advertised as "tritium fiber optic", so I thought tritium WAS fiber optic. Google has educated me otherwise. My rear sights are tritium, my front sight is fiber optic, and the fiber optic popped out. I'll try the lighter, robo, thanks!

Could you tell me what exactly those are for, as opposed simply to a painted dot on the front sight?
I have one on my Ruger .22 Mark III Hunter and it also comes with a bunch more of those fibers in both green and red.

NGIB 09-22-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzDoc (Post 355425)
Could you tell me what exactly those are for, as opposed simply to a painted dot on the front sight?
I have one on my Ruger .22 Mark III Hunter and it also comes with a bunch more of those fibers in both green and red.

The fiber-optics grab & amplify ambient light to make a nice "glowing" dot. No help in pitch darkness but very handy if there's any light at all. I have F-O front sights on 3-4 of my guns...

robocop10mm 09-22-2010 05:23 PM

The top of the sight base is open. The light will enter the circumference of the fiber and get directed out the end. In low to moderate light, they tend to glow like they are battery operated. They draw your attention to the front sight where it should be.

TheDaggle 09-22-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 355509)
The top of the sight base is open. The light will enter the circumference of the fiber and get directed out the end. In low to moderate light, they tend to glow like they are battery operated. They draw your attention to the front sight where it should be.

Unless you fiber optic is tritium (which I've learned mine was) in which case it will glow on it's own. I think tritium is slightly radioactive or something... anyway, I don't shoot at night much myself :rolleyes:, but a lot of LEOs swear by them.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:07 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.