Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Trigger locks (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/trigger-locks-71816/)

xxbrooksxx 09-04-2012 11:07 PM

Trigger locks

Can anyone recommend to me a good trigger lock system. My wife and I are adopting and we have to have them on the guns for safety reasons.

Thanks,

mountainman13 09-04-2012 11:21 PM

Nothing major different from one to the next. I have all different brands and they all work. I would avoid the 3 digit tumbler type they are way too easy to get into. I would suggest getting them all keyed the same.

RecklessRegard 09-05-2012 01:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
^^Ditto. Major retailers (Dick's, Bass Pro, Cabela's, etc) will have keyed alike locks in 3-5 packs. Attempt to get these, otherwise you'll end up like me.

Attachment 56783

I just use a gun safe now...

winds-of-change 09-05-2012 02:20 PM

Is a safe an alternative? I would rather have my firearms in a safe than using trigger locks.

mountainman13 09-05-2012 02:21 PM

Should really have both.

Overkill0084 09-05-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 928962)
Is a safe an alternative? I would rather have my firearms in a safe than using trigger locks.

This.

If one owns multiple firearms, one should own a safe anyway. No need to spend a fortune either. Hit up Craig's list or whatever passes as a local classified ad listing and get one that someone outgrew for pennies on the dollar.

Besides, didn't all your guns come with those annoying cable locks? ;)

GaMatt72 09-06-2012 06:21 PM

When I was adopting my daughter all I had to prove was that they where put up and away. We locked them in a closet.

orangello 09-06-2012 07:07 PM

If money is an object, they sell gun "cabinets" that are much less expensive (and less fire-resistant) than gun safes. I use all my trigger locks as padlocks on fence gates and footlockers and such, darn handy.

purehavoc 09-06-2012 07:25 PM

Best yet , I saw some old school locker or gym lockers that has been converted to store guns in and I found several last yr for $60 each and there were 3 of these bolted together and you use a lock on each door . you could store alot of stuff in those for $60

JonM 09-07-2012 01:09 AM

depending on the age of the adoptee start teaching firearm safety and responsibility early and often. then start teaching marksmanship. the best child safety is raising the kiddo to be responsible around firearms.

that being said, a gun safe is the best solution with one of those finger activated units for any self defense pistols in a handy location.

the trigger locks that go through the trigger guard and clamp on are incredibly unsafe. they can still be used to fire the gun with a little ingenuity. there was a case about a decade ago where a kid shot his brother with the trigger lock in place. the parents chose to rely solely on a mechanical device as they thought that teaching a kid gun safety was "dangerous"