Top notch Hearing protection
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Top notch Hearing protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Top notch Hearing protection

Hello all, being new to the shooting world, I have quickly learned I need some top notch hearing protection. Can I get your opinions? I would like something I can shoot piston, rifles and shotguns with. Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm not sure these are what you'd call top notch, but I got a pair of Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs last year & have been pretty pleased with them. They don't have as high an NRR as the passive muffs I'd been using, 23 vs 29NRR, but it's nice being able to hear talk & range commands. If you need the ultimate noise reduction, you'll either have to spend much more or go with the passive type. I'm sure others here have equally good results with other brands & models and will give you more advice. Stay tuned.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:57 AM   #3

Liked 711 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I got some custom formed one from work a year or so ago and I love them.
They are formed to fit your ears and your ears only. You can not put the one for you left ear in the right ear or the right in the left. Form fitted perfectly, lightweight, and small enough to not hang outside of your ear.
I got mine for free but I think their about 60ish bucks typically. I take mine to the range all the time and when they finally $hit out, I'll get another set.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 11-05-2011, 01:56 AM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Use our resources:

BPI Natural Earplugs

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-05-2011, 05:01 AM   #5

Thank you Cane, I just ordered my Sample pair to test them out. After this I will order the 12 pack as they are the only ones to be equal to $2.50/pair point.

I will also be purchasing a pair of Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs from Amazon for roughly $48 as I feel you cannot protect your eyes or ears enough.

Thank you all for your replies.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #6

New to forum...

Curious if anyone has tried the Sportear XP3 ear plugs? I'm looking for a comfortable and durable set of plugs beyond the single use foam plugs. I have read about the new worlds best plugs that you mold, on here, and may try those as well, but was looking for thoughts on the Sportear XP3s. Check the link below for the product. Price is also important, hopefully looking to get a decent set under twenty that will last.

http://www.sportear.com/ear-plugs/sport-plugz-xp3

Any recommendations also welcome.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #7

Hey CBP I have a pair of the sportear xp3 plugs and in my opinion I think they are great.... I wasn't sure about them at first but the more I use them the better I like them... They fit nicely in my ears and are very effective, I give them two thumbs up!

Old 11-18-2011, 12:58 AM   #8

Actually came across some Surefire Sonic Defenders (EP3) today while at a local hunting store. Jumped on them because of the price of 15 out the door. Appear to be very comfortable but will put them to the test once I get a little more time.

That said, I just looked at the Sportear XP3s, mentioned earlier, on the manufacturers website, www,Sportear.com. They are actually the Surefire EP4s, you can even see the SF mold on the plugs on the Sportear website. So I found what I wanted, will update as to the quality, comfort and effectiveness.

I believe Cane has recommended the EP3s in other forums, so I jumped on the opportunity to have a pair for cheap and no shipping charges.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 2082

Sometimes, I go to Grainger and get a box of the 33 NRR foam plugs (200 pairs for less than $40!). If you have decent earmuff style protection (passive or active) the noise reduction from the muffs (usually 20 to 30 NRR) is at least partially additive to the plugs. So, with both on, you get about 50-60 NRR. If you're really sensitive, or already have some hearing loss, this can prevent further losses. But it is kind of difficult to hear conversations or range officer instructions with both.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/