Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Top notch Hearing protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/top-notch-hearing-protection-51124/)

Izenrok 11-03-2011 09:34 PM

Top notch Hearing protection

Hello all, being new to the shooting world, I have quickly learned I need some top notch hearing protection. Can I get your opinions? I would like something I can shoot piston, rifles and shotguns with. Thank you.

roscoguy 11-04-2011 09:57 PM

I'm not sure these are what you'd call top notch, but I got a pair of Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs last year & have been pretty pleased with them. They don't have as high an NRR as the passive muffs I'd been using, 23 vs 29NRR, but it's nice being able to hear talk & range commands. If you need the ultimate noise reduction, you'll either have to spend much more or go with the passive type. I'm sure others here have equally good results with other brands & models and will give you more advice. Stay tuned.

CourtJester 11-05-2011 12:57 AM

I got some custom formed one from work a year or so ago and I love them.
They are formed to fit your ears and your ears only. You can not put the one for you left ear in the right ear or the right in the left. Form fitted perfectly, lightweight, and small enough to not hang outside of your ear.
I got mine for free but I think their about 60ish bucks typically. I take mine to the range all the time and when they finally $hit out, I'll get another set.

canebrake 11-05-2011 01:56 AM

Use our resources:

BPI Natural Earplugs

Izenrok 11-05-2011 05:01 AM

Thank you Cane, I just ordered my Sample pair to test them out. After this I will order the 12 pack as they are the only ones to be equal to $2.50/pair point.

I will also be purchasing a pair of Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs from Amazon for roughly $48 as I feel you cannot protect your eyes or ears enough.

Thank you all for your replies.

CPBg26 11-17-2011 05:31 PM

New to forum...

Curious if anyone has tried the Sportear XP3 ear plugs? I'm looking for a comfortable and durable set of plugs beyond the single use foam plugs. I have read about the new worlds best plugs that you mold, on here, and may try those as well, but was looking for thoughts on the Sportear XP3s. Check the link below for the product. Price is also important, hopefully looking to get a decent set under twenty that will last.

http://www.sportear.com/ear-plugs/sport-plugz-xp3

Any recommendations also welcome.

Jkl-28 11-17-2011 07:46 PM

Hey CBP I have a pair of the sportear xp3 plugs and in my opinion I think they are great.... I wasn't sure about them at first but the more I use them the better I like them... They fit nicely in my ears and are very effective, I give them two thumbs up!:D

CPBg26 11-18-2011 12:58 AM

Actually came across some Surefire Sonic Defenders (EP3) today while at a local hunting store. Jumped on them because of the price of 15 out the door. Appear to be very comfortable but will put them to the test once I get a little more time.

That said, I just looked at the Sportear XP3s, mentioned earlier, on the manufacturers website, www,Sportear.com. They are actually the Surefire EP4s, you can even see the SF mold on the plugs on the Sportear website. So I found what I wanted, will update as to the quality, comfort and effectiveness.

I believe Cane has recommended the EP3s in other forums, so I jumped on the opportunity to have a pair for cheap and no shipping charges.

Balota 01-26-2012 06:01 PM

Sometimes, I go to Grainger and get a box of the 33 NRR foam plugs (200 pairs for less than $40!). If you have decent earmuff style protection (passive or active) the noise reduction from the muffs (usually 20 to 30 NRR) is at least partially additive to the plugs. So, with both on, you get about 50-60 NRR. If you're really sensitive, or already have some hearing loss, this can prevent further losses. But it is kind of difficult to hear conversations or range officer instructions with both.