Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (
-   -   Tac light pros and cons (

Bigguns911 02-20-2010 02:27 PM

Tac light pros and cons
Of those of you that do use tac lights on you handguns, what are some pros and cons to using them. Of those of you that do not but have some insight to the issue what do you think. I am looking for ideas on presenting a request to carry a tac light on my Glock 22 at work. Last time I talked with the boss he was not very receptive to it. I need to have some info for him to show why it is a good idea. Thanks Dan :rolleyes:

lonyaeger 02-20-2010 03:00 PM

Well certainly a weapons light will help a BG locate YOU, as well as you locating HIM. Mine shoots out alot of lumens, though, so hopefully that will blind him some if I get into that kind of situation.

Bigguns911 02-21-2010 02:04 AM

Are you LE and if so do you have policy on using them?

gorknoids 02-21-2010 03:53 AM

I mount one when I go to bed every night (And then I put a light on my XD 9!)
The light is a benefit because I don't have to carry that heavy Maglight in one hand and the pistola in the other. I didn't buy one with a flash switch on it, because dazzling a bad guy in my house will consist of perforating his rib cage many, many times.
It goes on only when I go to bed because I carry at 1:00 in an Uncle Mike's IWB holster, and the light won't fit. Bear in mind, if you're working for a security company, that you'll have to draw down on your target to see it. I'm not an LEO, but I've played one in the military.

lonyaeger 02-21-2010 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bigguns911 (Post 233578)
Are you LE and if so do you have policy on using them?

No, not a LEO.

vjf915 03-15-2010 09:13 PM

I have read that a tac light will help in reaquisition of the target due to a little extra weight on the end of the pistol.

StoneCobra 05-03-2010 11:41 PM

Enables the weapon handler to have full control of the firearm without having to hold another flashlight in their support hand.

Allows the handler to manipulate other items with support hand if needed

It is always ready to go if you find yourself in a house or structure with poor
lighting conditions

Some lights come with the beveled rim for muzzle strikes during CQB

Does not replace the handheld light when illuminating non-threat subjects

These are just a few. Our agency does not currntly have a policy on flashlights and the only few that do carry them are SWAT Opereators.

canebrake 05-03-2010 11:54 PM

What do you do if you have two threat subjects?

That's a lot of muzzle swinging!

StoneCobra 05-04-2010 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 280042)
What do you do if you have two threat subjects?

That's a lot of muzzle swinging!

The same thing you would do with a support hand held light, address the main threat first or if both are equal threats deliver spread fire if they do not comply with commands.

Flint Rock 05-16-2010 04:35 PM

I like the weapon mounted light for a trained/experienced operator and for the average Joe, a hand held flashlight. I don't like the idea of a rookie searching with a gun light. It could be someone up to no good in the backyard late at night, or it could be that guy from down the street looking for his little over bred ankle biter of a dog. I don't want a scared and nervous person pointing a loaded gun at everything as he looks for the source of his concern.