Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   surefire weapon light (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/surefire-weapon-light-99459/)

FernandoTheCommando 10-24-2013 04:18 PM

Anyone here mount a p2x fury as a weapon light? Wasn't sure if it was strictly a handheld light or if it could stand up to recoil. I'm specificaly speaking about the fury. I'm aware there are other options in the surefire line-up, but I'd like a light I could edc as well. I have a streamlight polytac but it's mainly for handheld use.

FernandoTheCommando 10-25-2013 11:53 AM

Or any other surefire handheld used as a weapon mounted light?

mountainman13 10-25-2013 11:57 AM

At that price it damn well better be able to take the abuse.
I wouldn't spend $100 on a light unless I was certain I could bludgeon someone with it and it would keep working.

FernandoTheCommando 10-25-2013 04:10 PM

I hear you man. You never know though....

John_Deer 10-25-2013 07:13 PM

If the light has a one inch tube you can use a scope mount if your gun has a rail. If you are putting it on a shotgun you can get a mount from ebay or amazon. 12 ga magazine tubes are one inch. The mount is similar to a scope ring but it has a 1" ring on both ends.

FernandoTheCommando 10-25-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1413383)
If the light has a one inch tube you can use a scope mount if your gun has a rail. If you are putting it on a shotgun you can get a mount from ebay or amazon. 12 ga magazine tubes are one inch. The mount is similar to a scope ring but it has a 1" ring on both ends.

I own the elzetta 12 gauge light mount. It's rock solid and extremely well made. I was curious about the quality of the p2x fury as a weapon light. I had my streamlight polytac (great edc light for the money) on there but the recoil would blink the light so that's a definite no no.

jimogden1984 10-25-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1413383)

this is what I did. Works pretty good and inexpensive

John_Deer 10-26-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando (Post 1413394)
I own the elzetta 12 gauge light mount. It's rock solid and extremely well made. I was curious about the quality of the p2x fury as a weapon light. I had my streamlight polytac (great edc light for the money) on there but the recoil would blink the light so that's a definite no no.

I would sell that light or give it away. They chinese no name lights are 1600 lumens and they don't blink when mounted on a shotgun. The no name lights cost less than $40. They have cree bulbs and nice aluminum housings. The switch is on the back of the light so you can just touch it with your thumb. I took my light and gun to a skeet range for testing. When shooting doubles I could leave the light off on the first clay, turn the light on for the second clay. Three people were there when I was testing my light. All three could do the same thing with doubles.

FernandoTheCommando 10-26-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1414141)

I would sell that light or give it away. They chinese no name lights are 1600 lumens and they don't blink when mounted on a shotgun. The no name lights cost less than $40. They have cree bulbs and nice aluminum housings. The switch is on the back of the light so you can just touch it with your thumb. I took my light and gun to a skeet range for testing. When shooting doubles I could leave the light off on the first clay, turn the light on for the second clay. Three people were there when I was testing my light. All three could do the same thing with doubles.

Streamlight isn't Chinese junk. The polytac is designed for pocket carry but I decided to try it as a weapon light. It's a polymer body and I think it was a little light to be used as a weapon light. Streamlight makes great rail mounted lights, I just wanted to see if the handheld line could stand up to full power 12g buckshot. It didn't break, it just blinked. For $40 on amazon the polytac line is great as an edc light. Also, it's an advertised 120 lumens, not some outlandish claim of 1600 lumens lol. I've seen those lights and I avoid them like the plague.

FernandoTheCommando 10-26-2013 03:09 PM

There is no way anyone is getting 1600 lumens in a handheld or small weapon light. I've seen surefire advertise 600 lumen weapon lights but they cost over $200. Think i might (some day) grab an elzetta weapon light. It's 200 lumens at the beam, not the emitter and I've heard great things about them. For $180 it better be good.