Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Surefire overrated?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 12:02 AM   #51
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20074 Times on 11419 Posts
Likes Given: 50632

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
The Chinese models that claim to put out over 1,000 lumens are as bright as a Q beam. During a coyote hunt when I kick my light on it's like daylight. There is none of that bull of just being able to see the coyotes eyes. I can see the whole coyote without magnification.

You are bashing something you have never owned or used. That is really a fair evaluation . You can't bash other products you have never used to justify the cost of something you bought, that is not fair or rational.

Like I said in my earlier statements you can't have the customer rating these vendors have unless they are delivering a good product. I always wait a month or so to rate something I bought on eBay. I am sure other eBayers do the same thing.
if you keep telling yourself that over and over again, enough times, you will probably believe it.

if you are happy with cheap Chinese flashlights, then by all means keep right on buying them. i am sure not going to tell you not to buy them.

i just have higher expectations and standards. i will buy a higher quality light, knowing that a quality light isn't cheap.

but you are more than welcome to show us proof that these lights are better with a link and source to where they come from.
Dahamp2003 Likes This 
Old 01-21-2014, 12:40 AM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 160 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
if you keep telling yourself that over and over again, enough times, you will probably believe it.

if you are happy with cheap Chinese flashlights, then by all means keep right on buying them. i am sure not going to tell you not to buy them.

i just have higher expectations and standards. i will buy a higher quality light, knowing that a quality light isn't cheap.

but you are more than welcome to show us proof that these lights are better with a link and source to where they come from.
Yes please provide a link, as I would like to see what type of flashlight you are buying. If you have a good deal on flashlights and they are working as you stated, then by all means let us in on it.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #53

Liked 131 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 67

All this talk of 500, 1000, and 1600 lumen lights has me wondering. If you have all this output, are they utilizing more batterres and have to be a much bigger light ? If not it would seem like the run time wouldn't be very long. You usually don't get something for nothing. It would stand to reason that so much power would eat up batteries, and run time would be in minutes instead of several hours. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1397 Times on 948 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
What brand of Chinese light are you using? I'd like to do some research and read some reviews based on your claims.
You don't go by the brand. You have to go by vendor. The lights are prototypes that didn't sell well. I have ultrafire and fpx. If you are looking brands instead of certain types of components you would be better to spend your time smashing your face on a tree. Cree's US manufacturing facility is in this area. I have friends who work for cree and understand the business.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1397 Times on 948 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
All this talk of 500, 1000, and 1600 lumen lights has me wondering. If you have all this output, are they utilizing more batterres and have to be a much bigger light ? If not it would seem like the run time wouldn't be very long. You usually don't get something for nothing. It would stand to reason that so much power would eat up batteries, and run time would be in minutes instead of several hours. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You are correct. If you run the lights on high the batteries will run down in about 90 minutes. The lights have 3 power settings. You have to run them on low to get hours of run time.

Part of this thread that is very frustrating is most here have never even owned a light. I am not going to run a school on flashlight components here. You can't educate people who want to ridicule the teacher.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #56

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
My s20 baton l2 is 550lumens. Its 1.2hrs run time on max output. Its an xm-l2 led. Leds use alot less power than a standard bulb. I rarly use it on max. Usualy run the 200lumen setting. Most high output lights dont use a standard battery, lie a double a or trip a. There using cr123s or 18650 or multiples of either. Most Flashlight run series. Meaning you add up all the volts. So a flashlight running 4 cr123s is 12volts. This is how you can get such a high output out of them.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Firearms Talk mobile app

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

Old 01-21-2014, 11:38 PM   #57
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20074 Times on 11419 Posts
Likes Given: 50632

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
You are correct. If you run the lights on high the batteries will run down in about 90 minutes. The lights have 3 power settings. You have to run them on low to get hours of run time.

Part of this thread that is very frustrating is most here have never even owned a light. I am not going to run a school on flashlight components here. You can't educate people who want to ridicule the teacher.
well before one can be the teacher, they need to actually have knowledge of the subject they intend on teaching. if i plan on learning about something i don't have any knowledge of, i will seek out those who actually know what they are talking about.

too many times, myself and others have proven things you have stated as being wrong, on several occasions. many times we have asked for proof or facts to support your statements with our questions being ignored or being called ugly names by you.

so you are one of the last people i would ever seek out for credible information on anything.
People Like This 
Old 02-10-2014, 02:28 AM   #58

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I will not tell anyone they NEED buy a surefire light but from personal experience, I carry one on my helmet at the fire department and it has been a great light for years now, dropped off the top of the fire engine thrown around between trucks and it keeps ticking. After I got mine two other guys on the department saw how bright it was at a live burn training we had, and they both had one on their helmets the next week. Not to sound cheesy but I trust my life to it and would recommend one to anyone who was looking to buy one.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:44 AM   #59

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I pretty much agree with the Surefire opinion here. It's served me well overseas and continues to do so at home. I've bought a few of their products and will continue to do so.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 02-12-2014, 07:39 PM   #60
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4431 Times on 1495 Posts
Likes Given: 1360

Have a Surefire Centurion and a Executive Defender which I've had for several years and don't believe is made anymore.

They both have been dependable and just recently bought a Streamlight Pro Tach HL which is 600 lumens for 1 hr 15 minutes.

There are quite a few brands out there and you should look for one that suits your personal needs.

NSDQ

Axxe55 Likes This