Surefire overrated? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Surefire overrated?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 11:14 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 542 Times on 320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahamp2003 View Post
Hey I notice a lot of people running elzettas on their weapons. How are they? Do you own one? BTW, I wasn't saying armytek is in the category as the Chinese stuff, just wanted to be clear that the Chinese stuff isn't a quality light either. I've heard a lot of good things about Fenix as well. In what order would you put armytek, elzetta, and fenix?
I don't have much experience with armytek, but if I had to rank them, I'd say in order of low to high: armytek, streamlight,fenix, then elzetta. Fenix are absolutely hands down (imo) the best value for the money in any category of light. That includes edc, weapon lights, and high power search lights. Elzetta are really expensive but they are phenominal. All these cheap lights claiming 1000 lumens are total bs. Elzetta and other quality lights are measured in lumens at the beam, not the emitter. My 140 lumen streamlight polytac is brighter than any $20 claimed 500 lumen light. And my fenix? Dont even get me started. That fenix tk11 surprised the **** out of me! Beautiful machining, rock solid feel, and the light is bright and clean. I paid $40 for the streamlight and $70 for the fenix. Elzetta zfl m60s come in at about $160-200 depending on where you shop.
Dahamp2003 Likes This 
Old 01-20-2014, 01:02 AM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 354 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
I'm a noob with this stuff so I've been doing some reading, apparently battery choice is just as important as the light itself. Anyone have brands of batteries to recommend along with the lights or should that be a new topic?
So that depends on what type of battery you are going to need for your flashlight. For a and double a batteries I use Eneloop rechargeable usually the best deals are on amazon, look for the third generation to make sure you are getting the latest version. For my lights that run 18650 I use orbtronic which is basically a panasonic cell that is protected so that you don't blow it up by overheating it or a short when charging. A lot of the higher end lights will use 18650 or cr123a batteries. I have found that using the 18650 batteries gives a better performance. The one thing you night want to consider when buying flashlights, is see what kind of batteries they run on, I try to get flashlights that run on 18650 batteries so I can use the same batteries from flashlight to flashlight. There are many types of batteries i.e 18650,18350,14500,16340,a,aa,aaa etc and get rather expensive to buy chargers and different sizes of batteries for each flashlight. In my picture there is a Fenix TK75 with a extension, this takes 8 18650 batteries, so just for the batteries alone is 160.00 bucks But it does put out 2600 lumens and comes in real handy for lighting up boat launches at dark in the North woods in WI.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:02 AM   #43
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
I don't have much experience with armytek, but if I had to rank them, I'd say in order of low to high: armytek, streamlight,fenix, then elzetta. Fenix are absolutely hands down (imo) the best value for the money in any category of light. That includes edc, weapon lights, and high power search lights. Elzetta are really expensive but they are phenominal. All these cheap lights claiming 1000 lumens are total bs. Elzetta and other quality lights are measured in lumens at the beam, not the emitter. My 140 lumen streamlight polytac is brighter than any $20 claimed 500 lumen light. And my fenix? Dont even get me started. That fenix tk11 surprised the **** out of me! Beautiful machining, rock solid feel, and the light is bright and clean. I paid $40 for the streamlight and $70 for the fenix. Elzetta zfl m60s come in at about $160-200 depending on where you shop.
i have to agree about the lumen output. i have some cheaper LED lights in the25-50 lumen range an they are plenty bright. my LED Streamlight is rated at 350 lumens and that is one bright light. so i don't know where or how they measure the lumen output on the Chinese models, but suspect they are using different methods or much different equipment to make such claims of 1000 plus lumens.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:31 PM   #44

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i have to agree about the lumen output. i have some cheaper LED lights in the25-50 lumen range an they are plenty bright. my LED Streamlight is rated at 350 lumens and that is one bright light. so i don't know where or how they measure the lumen output on the Chinese models, but suspect they are using different methods or much different equipment to make such claims of 1000 plus lumens.
The Chinese models that claim to put out over 1,000 lumens are as bright as a Q beam. During a coyote hunt when I kick my light on it's like daylight. There is none of that bull of just being able to see the coyotes eyes. I can see the whole coyote without magnification.

You are bashing something you have never owned or used. That is really a fair evaluation . You can't bash other products you have never used to justify the cost of something you bought, that is not fair or rational.

Like I said in my earlier statements you can't have the customer rating these vendors have unless they are delivering a good product. I always wait a month or so to rate something I bought on eBay. I am sure other eBayers do the same thing.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:31 PM   #45

Liked 48 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 254

To add, I have no experience with elzetta or fenix, but for the money armytek blows streamlights away. I'll have to check them out though. Sounds good. BTW, on my armytek predator pro it claims 760 lumens. I've held it beside a 500 lumen surefire and streamlight and it looks like 1000 lumens. Brightest light I've ever seen by far that's that small. I was expecting it to let me down because I had to wait a while to get it, so I sort of built it up in my imagination. Was I wrong. Blew me away. I'm an Armytek fan for life. Or until it breaks haha. Thanks for the input guys
Springfield XD 9 Sub
Winchester Ranger 140 12g
RIA 2011 VZ Grips 1911 .45 acp
Glock 42
Glock 17 Gen 4

My deviled egg farts
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by stag556 View Post
I really like the Fenix brand of flashlights. Much brighter than the surefire, well built, and half the price. I have one on my AR (TK22) with 350 rounds and no problems. The thing is if you go with a high end flashlight, see what kind of batteries it takes. A lot of flashlights that are in the 400 plus range take 18650 batteries, and for a good high end battery, ( I use orbtronic 3400 mah) your talking 20 bucks a battery. Granted they are rechargeable but still expensive for a battery. Here's my collection so far.
18650 is just like two cr123a but in a rechargeable stick right?

Old 01-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post

The Chinese models that claim to put out over 1,000 lumens are as bright as a Q beam. During a coyote hunt when I kick my light on it's like daylight. There is none of that bull of just being able to see the coyotes eyes. I can see the whole coyote without magnification.

You are bashing something you have never owned or used. That is really a fair evaluation . You can't bash other products you have never used to justify the cost of something you bought, that is not fair or rational.

Like I said in my earlier statements you can't have the customer rating these vendors have unless they are delivering a good product. I always wait a month or so to rate something I bought on eBay. I am sure other eBayers do the same thing.
What brand of Chinese light are you using? I'd like to do some research and read some reviews based on your claims.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #48

Liked 48 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Just because an ebayer has a 99% rating with 10,000 ratings doesn't mean the light b is great. It means it's what people expected for that money. I think you're stretching a little. People buying 10$ flashlights on ebay probably aren't the most knowledgeable on lights either. No offense.kinda like people with hipoints think there's nothing at all wrong with a hipoint.
Springfield XD 9 Sub
Winchester Ranger 140 12g
RIA 2011 VZ Grips 1911 .45 acp
Glock 42
Glock 17 Gen 4

My deviled egg farts
People Like This 
Old 01-20-2014, 11:39 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 354 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
18650 is just like two cr123a but in a rechargeable stick right?
Both rechargeable CR123s, and primary CR123s (3.7v) will both perform the same -- maximum brightness the entire time until the cell is spent, followed by rapid dimming (rechargeables generally have lower capacity however). Using 18650 (approximatly 4.25/35v)on the other hand causes the light to be regulated initially, but once the battery's voltage drops below a certain point, it will fall out of regulation and gradually get dimmer throughout the runtime, as the light will essentially be direct-driving from then on.

When using an 18650, it will direct drive initially (and draw more than 1A), but then begin and remain is regulation as the battery input drops below the output.

So initially the cr123,s seem to be brighter at first but will bot run as long and when they fade out they go fairly quickly. A 18650 will carry almost the same brightness and hold that charge longer, with out such a drastic fall off at the end. Again a lot of this is based on the battery type and the flashlight being used.

Note some of this info was taken from CPF which is a truley great forum for knowledge on flashlights and batteries and chargers etc. There are tests and graphs to support most information, some of which comes from people that test lights for manufactures. I do not claim to be a expert, but am simple passing on some of the info I have found and some first hand knowledge as well. Hope this helps.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-20-2014, 11:57 PM   #50
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahamp2003 View Post
To add, I have no experience with elzetta or fenix, but for the money armytek blows streamlights away. I'll have to check them out though. Sounds good. BTW, on my armytek predator pro it claims 760 lumens. I've held it beside a 500 lumen surefire and streamlight and it looks like 1000 lumens. Brightest light I've ever seen by far that's that small. I was expecting it to let me down because I had to wait a while to get it, so I sort of built it up in my imagination. Was I wrong. Blew me away. I'm an Armytek fan for life. Or until it breaks haha. Thanks for the input guys
i am definately going to check out these ArmyTek lights. you have my interest up for sure.
Dahamp2003 Likes This