Surefire overrated? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Surefire overrated?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yah def. I run an olight s20 baton. A fenix ld22 for carry. The s20 output is 550 lumens and its tiny as hell. I also run rechargeable 18650s. Makes such a difference in out put and run time.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Firearms Talk mobile app

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

Old 01-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1873 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
You don't have to pay $189 for Surefire quality. Walmart sells the Surefire G2X Pro for around $90. It is dual output, 15 lumens for lighting up your front door to stick the key in, 320 lumens for blinding the bejeezus out of a bad guy. Optics Planet has sveral models that go for less that $120. I agree with Axxe, not too many police, firefighters or military using $30 knock off lights.
The vendors of the $30 lights are not getting involved with the bidding process used by cities and states. Many cities and states demand that the light be made in the USA. Well, they also demand a cree bulb that is likely made in China. They say Surefire lights are made in the USA, but that is BS. Surefire lights are assembled in the USA with chinese components. I could set up a flashlight assembly line in my barn using illegal mexican labor and claim I have a product made in the USA.

Cities and states demand an expensive testing procedure that is usually done at university. This is why it costs thousands of dollars to equip each man. The cost of all this testing that could be done by any officer or fireman in his office is what drives up the cost of surefire lights. There isn't much difference in the outcome of an informal test and a university test other than documentation. If I throw a light against the wall a couple times and it still works that is good enough for me. That is basically what a university does except they find a way to make throwing a light against a wall cost a million dollars.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #23

Liked 146 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
The vendors of the $30 lights are not getting involved with the bidding process used by cities and states. Many cities and states demand that the light be made in the USA. Well, they also demand a cree bulb that is likely made in China. They say Surefire lights are made in the USA, but that is BS. Surefire lights are assembled in the USA with chinese components. I could set up a flashlight assembly line in my barn using illegal mexican labor and claim I have a product made in the USA.
Maybe the cities and states don't want anything to do with the $30 products. If your barn is located in the U.S.A., your product is made there, just maybe not all the components made here. My Chevy truck has a lot of components that come from Canada, but it's still made in the U.S. Not sure what you mean by cree bulb. Creole ? Cree Indian ?

Last edited by sandog; 01-18-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-18-2014, 05:32 PM   #24

Liked 406 Times on 231 Posts

Quote:
Maybe the cities and states don't want anything to do with the $30 products. If your barn is located in the U.S.A., your product is made there, just maybe not all the components made here. My Chevy truck has a lot of components that come from Canada, but it's still made in the U.S. Not sure what you mean by cree bulb. Creole ? Cree Indian ?
Cree is a type of led bulb I believe.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:41 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
Cree is a type of led bulb I believe.
Cree, Inc. is a multinational manufacturer of LEDs and various lighting products.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:45 PM   #26
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21905 Times on 12377 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
most officers buy their own flashlights. and by buying a quality made light like SureFire, Streamlight and some of the others they can get parts and accessories for them. not going to happen with a cheap Chinese made flashlight made in another country that cost $30. the switches on the higher quality flashlights are made to be used millions of cycles. cheap flashlights can't do that before the switch quits.

Cree is a brand of LED bulb.

http://www.cree.com/

http://www.surefire.com/company_history

Last edited by Axxe55; 01-18-2014 at 06:55 PM.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1873 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
most officers buy their own flashlights. and by buying a quality made light like SureFire, Streamlight and some of the others they can get parts and accessories for them. not going to happen with a cheap Chinese made flashlight made in another country that cost $30. the switches on the higher quality flashlights are made to be used millions of cycles. cheap flashlights can't do that before the switch quits.

Cree is a brand of LED bulb.

http://www.cree.com/

http://www.surefire.com/company_history
I think this is like the taurus debate. Most of the people involved in this conversation have never owned a high intensity light of any brand. They have bought a couple POS Kobalt lights at Lowes and think they are informed. There is absolutely no difference in the lights that come straight out of china and a surefire light. The switches, housing everything about the lights are made at the same plant in China. Moreover, the Chinese will give you a better warranty. I have never had a Chinese vendor even question my claim when I had a problem with a light. They dropped the parts or a new light in the mail no questions asked.

I have only had problems with one light that was running at 18 volts. I got a full refund shipping and all. Cree flashlight bulbs can handle 9 volts without issue. Cree bulbs will burn at 18 volts but they will not last long. You can't sell over 20,000 junk flashlights on eBay and maintain a 99% plus seller rating. Surefire doesn't have 99% customer satisfaction. You can make book on that.

I use a lot of flashlights. I usually keep 6 men working. They lose the lights, take them home, leave them on the job, but they don't come back saying the light didn't work. I have had a 1,000 lumen light in my KW for years it has never quit. The 1,600 lumen light mounted on my shotgun has been there for 3 years. I shoot skeet with my SD gun every month or so. Try to find a surefire light that is that bright and durable.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-19-2014 at 12:05 PM.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #28

Liked 146 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 71

If Surefire and Streamlight were so bad, professionals would quit using them and go to the cheapo lights. If you are supplying lights to a crew, I can see your point in buying an inexpensive light. Cheap lights, like cheap scopes, have got a lot better lately. I try to save money on some things, but optics, magazines and flashlights are not something I scrimp on. I guess the only thing we have in common, JD, here is driving a Kenworth.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #29

Liked 406 Times on 231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post

I think this is like the taurus debate. Most of the people involved in this conversation have never owned a high intensity light of any brand. They have bought a couple POS Kobalt lights at Lowes and think they are informed. There is absolutely no difference in the lights that come straight out of china and a surefire light. The switches, housing everything about the lights are made at the same plant in China. Moreover, the Chinese will give you a better warranty. I have never had a Chinese vendor even question my claim when I had a problem with a light. They dropped the parts or a new light in the mail no questions asked.

I have only had problems with one light that was running at 18 volts. I got a full refund shipping and all. Cree flashlight bulbs can handle 9 volts without issue. Cree bulbs will burn at 18 volts but they will not last long. You can't sell over 20,000 junk flashlights on eBay and maintain a 99% plus seller rating. Surefire doesn't have 99% customer satisfaction. You can make book on that.

I use a lot of flashlights. I usually keep 6 men working. They lose the lights, take them home, leave them on the job, but they don't come back saying the light didn't work. I have had a 1,000 lumen light in my KW for years it has never quit. The 1,600 lumen light mounted on my shotgun has been there for 3 years. I shoot skeet with my SD gun every month or so. Try to find a surefire light that is that bright and durable.
A lot of the Chinese lights exagerate their lumen output. Quality lights measure output at the beam. Cheaper lights will measure them at the emitter. I've taken apart cheap Chinese lights and expensive ones as well. The parts are definitely not the same quality. Just out of curiosity, which brand is the 1600 lumen light you have on your shotgun? And what brand lights are you supplying to your crew. I'd like to do some research on them myself.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #30
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21905 Times on 12377 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

well, i for one am not going to argue with JD over this subject. i know that Surefire and Streamlight are not the same as el-cheapo Chinese knock-offs, but to try and convince JD of that would be huge waste of time and effort to prove him incorrect, again. obviously he is very pleased with bargain basement low quality products and doesn't like to spend his money on a quality product and that is strictly his choice.

my father taught me to buy a quality made product and then take care of it and to keep it a long time. JD, likes to abuse his cheap made stuff he buys and lose it, so he has to buy it again. he must make much more money than i do to be able to throw money away. and that is his choice. but i prefer to keep my things in good condition and to take care of them and to keep up with them. i work too hard for my money to just throw it away like he does.

so i will leave this thread in the capable and knowledgeable hands of JD to enlighten all of you on this subject which he much more informed than myself. good day to all.