Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Surefire overrated? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/surefire-overrated-102361/)

TxHeaven 01-04-2014 02:49 PM

Surefire overrated?

I have been looking for a solid, BRIGHT flashlight. Headlamp would be great as well. Surefire is bright, but $189 for a FLASHLIGHT?! In your experience, is it worth it?

Axxe55 01-04-2014 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxHeaven (Post 1474338)
I have been looking for a solid, BRIGHT flashlight. Headlamp would be great as well. Surefire is bright, but $189 for a FLASHLIGHT?! In your experience, is it worth it?

i'd have to look up the specs and what it came with to make that decision, but Surefire so far seems to be one of the top brands in flashlights.

i have the StreamLight brand Stinger LED. puts out 340 lumens, has an extra battery stick, two cords for charging, one is for 12 volt DC and the other is for 115 volts AC. paid about $180 and it's well worth what i paid. my other regular Stinger cost about $130 when i bought it about four years ago. but i can use the chargers and the battery sticksin both Stingers. i have a base in my truck, one in my office and one at work.

a quality LED flashlight is usually going to cost a bit. they tend to be made much better and put out much more light. many LEO's are using the Surefire and the StreamLight flashlights.

you can buy the cheaper LED that claim very high output of light for a really cheap price, but they tend to not last very long and are not as bright as claimed to be. you get what you pay for when buying flashlights.

Jagermeister 01-04-2014 07:23 PM

My two Surefires really light up the room for such a small package. They will also blind a BG in the dark for awhile. My father-in-law accidently pointed the flashlight in my eyes. It was an irritant and it did blind me for a good while. I think they are worth it.

Doc3402 01-04-2014 07:40 PM

I've had MagChargers, Stingers, and Strions over the years, and without a doubt I got my money's worth on all of them. Unless you are prone to losing things I would say go for it.

BillDeShivs 01-04-2014 08:08 PM

Surefires are good lights. LE uses Streamlights because they are good lights that can be used as weapons.
There are $30 LED flashlights that are just as bright as either. Maybe not as durable, but as bright or brighter.

Sniper03 01-04-2014 08:10 PM

Surfire lights are very good and I have some. But there are other lights that are good lights also and most of the time for less money. Streamlight is one of them.

Dearhunter 01-04-2014 08:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have UltraFire flashlights. low cost, rechargeable batteries, 900 lu. I bought four of them. I have one on my SW AR, one on my grip handle pump shotgun. The other two are next to a couple of handguns I have ready to go around the house. I always take one hunting when I go. Been a couple of years now and have had no problems.

Attachment 131874

stag556 01-04-2014 11:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I really like the Fenix brand of flashlights. Much brighter than the surefire, well built, and half the price. I have one on my AR (TK22) with 350 rounds and no problems. The thing is if you go with a high end flashlight, see what kind of batteries it takes. A lot of flashlights that are in the 400 plus range take 18650 batteries, and for a good high end battery, ( I use orbtronic 3400 mah) your talking 20 bucks a battery. Granted they are rechargeable but still expensive for a battery. Here's my collection so far.

Attachment 131895

TxHeaven 01-05-2014 11:56 PM

I just ordered the Fenix Headlamp and Handheld. Will let you know how they perform. Looks great: value to performance.

JohnJak 01-06-2014 03:52 PM

I have had my surefire 9p for 12 years and never had a problem lighting up the entire block.