Suggestions for a small gear bag
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Suggestions for a small gear bag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 03:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Suggestions for a small gear bag

Looking for suggestions for a small/medium gear bag for trips to the range (can double as a bug/bail out bag).

Want good value (not cheap, but most bang for the buck).

Bag will contain:

• 1-2 pistols
  • 3-6 magazines
  • 200 - 300 rounds of 9mm ammo
  • 1-2 earmuffs
  • 1-2 safety glasses
  • 1 cleaning rag
  • 1-2 speedloaders
  • 1 pack Shoot 'N 'C 6" replacement targets
  • wallet, phone, keys, camera, foam ear plugs

I don't want a lot of extra space, I'd like it to work well with half of this loadout but still be able to accommodate the maxes above.

I like the 5.11 Tactical stuff, but I think it's a little pricey.

5.11 Tactical - Large Kit Toolbag might be the right size, but $60 is a little steep.

5.11 Tactical - Bail Out Bag might be a better choice for the same $60.

Condor - Tactical Response bag at $30 street price might be the way to go. I will probably lose something over the 5.11, but I can't see getting 2x the utility out of the Bail Out Bag as I would over the Condor. But I could be wrong, as I've never handled either of them.

What other options should I be looking at? I also saw some fishing tackle bags that looked promising, but wasn't sure if they'd be a great fit. I'd think that I'd want something purpose-build for the gun retention and protection from unnecessary wear on the finish of the gun.

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Last edited by knfxda; 07-24-2011 at 04:30 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2011, 04:05 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have two Tanker's tool bags. One is 19" long and the other is shorter, maybe 11" in length. They're OD canvas and they really hold up. I've been using them for years and they show zero wear.

The long one is perfect for a spotting scope & tripod, so I use it for long gun stuff and I generally use the shorter one for handgun stuff. Depending on the range trip, I may take both.

They're not sexy or tactical, but they're practical and they work.

Here's a link to a short version that's close to mine: Amazon.com: G.I. Style O.D. Mechanics Tool Bag: Home Improvement

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #3

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Winchester makes a small range bag that is sold my Wally world. It has held up for me for a year now. It has side pockets for two handguns and enough room for the things you were talking about. Only around $20 last I looked.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 07-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #4

Likes Given: 2

Check out sportsmansguide.com, they have tons of cheaper options and most of them are of a good quality.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 08-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #5

Bro if you want a real bad ass Tactical Gear Bag, check this out.. http://bit.ly/nUNQCb.

The best seller is the Camelbak Linchpin hydration carrier & the Maxpedition packs... I use a Maxpedition Jumbo bag for my EDC gear