Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > suggestions for a bulletproof vest?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #11
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

JD, that's a great vid. I saw that when it aired -- really good stuff.

As for corruption in the Army...it happens. Hopefully, Dragon Skin will make its way to those who could benefit by having it pronto.

As for treason, most folks here could probably list a dozen or so folks in government who would easily qualify for the hangman's noose. Don't hold your breath waiting for the government to police itself.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:51 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I'm not bkt - My only point is that there are perfectly good, strong, brave and selfless men and women who could benefit from a product proven to be more effective than the item that is curently in place.

The big problem with this war is the nightly body count, it's not the "cost" of the war, or the length of time. Vietnam had what, 53K or 54K dead, but you only got updates a couple of times a week. Now, every time a truck hits an IED and soldiers are taken away on medivac you hear about it within the hour.

Now, take those same soldiers and give them all Dragon Skin, you probably reduce the casaulty rate by 25% EASY. Personally, I would say closer to 50% because I have seen the stuff and it protects WAY better than the Interceptor stuff I had to wear. Suddenly you have a lot less dead, so the reporting isn't so doom and gloom all the damn time. Maybe people feel differently about the commitment. *shrug* Maybe not.

What I do know, from one of the sales reps at SHOT last year ( '07 ) was that Blackwater ordered 2,500 units from them for their operators & other field personnel to purchase from them, Blackwater, prior to or during deployment. Rumor has it they had over half of the units sold before the first vest was delivered. That speaks volumes to me. If a private security detail, one that can field whatever the hell it wants, is buying Dragon Skin and fielding it without question, someone needs to be asking why... As in why is it okay for contractors fighting side by side with our troops to be better equipped?

I personally don't think it is okay. I would rather my tax dollars go towards Dragon Skin than Interceptor....

JD

Old 08-05-2008, 03:11 AM   #13

Quote:
I would rather my tax dollars go toward Dragon Skin than Interceptor....
Me too and I would rather have had them go to 1911's in 45 acp over any 9mm , then theres the M16 do it all toy . I honestly wonder how the troops would have fared in combat all these years if they had stuck with a 30 cal projectile .

I would think that with all of these house to house engagements something like a modern version of the old 45 ACP "Tommy Gun" with a 3 round burst might just be the ticket at a 25 yards or less fight . I would rather hit an enemy with three rounds of 230 gr ball then 55-60 gr spire points at 50 feet .

Old 08-05-2008, 07:54 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
Me too and I would rather have had them go to 1911's in 45 acp over any 9mm , then theres the M16 do it all toy . I honestly wonder how the troops would have fared in combat all these years if they had stuck with a 30 cal projectile .

I would think that with all of these house to house engagements something like a modern version of the old 45 ACP "Tommy Gun" with a 3 round burst might just be the ticket at a 25 yards or less fight . I would rather hit an enemy with three rounds of 230 gr ball then 55-60 gr spire points at 50 feet .
Good for short range, .45 ACP, low recoil, burst/full-auto fire. KRISS?

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
-Ronald Reagan

Old 08-05-2008, 01:41 PM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

*thread hijack*

I love the KRISS. Man, what a cool weapon. Easy to use, easy to maintain, light, accurate ( within it's own level on competition ). Recently been okayed by the good folks at the BATFE for civilian sales of the single shot model. Great weapon. And it uses the same ammo as my trusty 1911. I am fighting with myself over looking at, and possibly, procuring one.

*end thread hijack*

I just feel the Dragon Skin is a better, overall protectionary device that could save lives. The ceramic plate idea was nice, and it does a decent job, but there are too many gaps, and the plates themselves, like mentioned above, are fragile if they hit on the corners or flat on the thin edge. It's an idea that's time has passed, but because they are so firmly entrenched in the government machine, getting them out of there any time soon is going to be a real battle. A battle that will, unfortunately, lead to more soldier injury/deaths because of the modern battle field "armor" they are forced to wear.

JD