You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear >

Stream light TLR 1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2016, 12:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Default Stream light TLR 1

I'm intrested in putting a TLR 1 on a forend rail mount. I'm worried about the abuse the light will take mounted on the pump of a 12 ga from racking and firing. Any one with some experience feel free to chip in.

FL is the only state where you can buy any gun you want, but you can't shoot them.
dango Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-11-2016, 12:55 AM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 10396 Times on 5131 Posts
Likes Given: 39733

Call me paranoid but I personally never ran out to the bump in the night giving away my position before I have an understanding of exactly what is going on .

If I heard something in the front area , I'm coming out the back in the dark as quietly as possible , no light on but do carry one . You will be the last to know I am there .

Now to the pump and light . These new high lum flash lights are pretty tough and shock resistant but on a shotgun , I have never tryed this . One way to find out though , try it and see . Go a pretty universal mount in your design on how to attach any kind of rail or common fixture and at least you can change it quite easily . Good luck and let us know how things go and never give away your position until called for . OMHO

There are a couple of shot gun mounted lights on You Tube videos so they do do this .

Last edited by dango; 05-11-2016 at 01:14 AM.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:46 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I keep one on my Sig. The 600 high lumin one. My watch is at night, so it is damn near essential for certain calls. Great way to have a light plus a weapon pointed down range and being sure of your target. Every bullet you fire has a lawyer attached to it, better be sure it is a bad guy. Use of a little light discipline and knowing when to use the light goes a long way. And when I finally get another shotgun, I will spend money on a SureFire forend.

But it does not, I repeat, DOES NOT replace the need for a good old fashioned flashlight. Sometimes you need light, sometimes you need just the gun, sometimes yeah need both. Use it when you have to.

As for on a shotgun, I have no personal experience, but I have not heard of any issues either,

Last edited by The_Gunslinger45; 05-11-2016 at 01:48 AM.
locutus Likes This 
Old 05-11-2016, 05:33 AM   #4

Thank you for the replies. I have several years in the military (11B) with tours in Iraq and Afghanistan so I'm well aware of light discipline like my life depended on it because it did as well as law enforcement related and asset protection positions here is the states so I'm in no rush to run around playing flashlight tag.

I'm not Rambo by any means but in my experience a tac light on a long gun does come in handy along with my other lights (like searching a house, plunking through woods etc).

I have used my fair share of sure fires and have never had a problem with them but I have no experience with the stream light TLR 1 but I hear nothing but good things. I will be moving to alaska soon and I do plan on spending a little time out doors so I'm trying to set everything up in advance. Guess I'll pick one up and pound out a few hundred shells and post my results.

FL is the only state where you can buy any gun you want, but you can't shoot them.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:54 AM   #5

Speaking of flash lights I picked up a Ozark trail flash light up about 2 weeks ago when I forgot mine at home. It's 700 lumens, has a 7 1/2 hour battery life, is powered by 3 C batteries, made from all aluminum and over all is built and feels very solid. Wal mart is selling them for $24 so it's a killer deal.

Only time will tell how well it holds up but i have used it around salt water a bit and beat it up some and it seams to be holding up and if I remeber right it has a Cree LED. It has 3 modes, high, low and strobe and can also focus. Below is a shot of beam and flood, having used this out doors and the ocean a bit the flood and beam throw are both very nice.
File Type: jpg 20160511_014120-1.jpg (69.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20160511_013859-1.jpg (14.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20160511_013912.jpg (12.8 KB, 23 views)

Old 05-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #6

Liked 248 Times on 184 Posts

I have not mounted a tlr-1 on a 12ga but I do throw one on my m&p carry gun before bed each night. I have tossed it multiple times and fully submersed it just to "test" it. Still works just the same as new. I also carry a fenix pd35 flashlight every day, I've used it as a hammer and it's still going strong. You can buy remote activation switches for them and mount them on a weapon

Old 05-11-2016, 01:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
I have not mounted a tlr-1 on a 12ga but I do throw one on my m&p carry gun before bed each night. I have tossed it multiple times and fully submersed it just to "test" it. Still works just the same as new. I also carry a fenix pd35 flashlight every day, I've used it as a hammer and it's still going strong. You can buy remote activation switches for them and mount them on a weapon
Stream light gaurentees they are impervious to shock so I'll put that to the test.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:09 PM   #8

Picked up a TLR 1s yesterday and a rail today. I'll do some firing and let yall know if anything comes loose under the range reports.
File Type: jpg 20160512_105214-1.jpg (25.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20160512_105238-1.jpg (20.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20160512_105554-1.jpg (18.7 KB, 17 views)

Old 05-12-2016, 04:43 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Nice! Can't wait for the range report!