Strangest, dumbest, or most useless gun accessories? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Strangest, dumbest, or most useless gun accessories?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 03:30 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Say what?!
The ATF considers any part of a suppressor to be a whole suppressor. You can't have any spare baffles besides the ones in the suppressor. As far as I understand the idea behind these adapters was to pay the $200 tax stamp on the adapter and just change out oil filters as they wear out from firing.

But since the oil filter is the suppressor housing and its inards are the baffles, the oil filter is the suppressor and needs to be serial numbered and registered. So everytime you wear out an oil filter instead of just putting another one on, you have to submit another Form 1 etc along with another $200 and wait 6-8 months for approval. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of the idea.

Its the ATF, it doesn't have to make sense.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:32 AM   #62

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Say what?!
LOL I thought it was me for a second...

And that bra holster is absurd. That's at least the second such post in about as many days and the muzzle is taking up space in the cup and pulling that one down.

Flash! Three midgets broke into a brazier today. Fortunately it was worn by an undercover policewoman who yelled "this is a bust!"
bra-holster.jpg  

Old 03-21-2013, 03:35 AM   #63

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop91 View Post

Too bad the ATF considers any part of a suppressor to be a complete suppressor. Can't have the adapter with the serial # be the tax stamp item but each oil filter has to be serial numbered, $200 oil filters get expensive. But it was a great idea before the ATF said no.
NOT true. Only the adapter is the tax stamped item. That would automatically make you a felon for owning a car, lawnmower, garden tiller, etc., etc.

They can't do that, nor HAVE they done it. Do a little more research.

Last edited by trip286; 03-21-2013 at 03:38 AM.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:06 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
NOT true. Only the adapter is the tax stamped item. That would automatically make you a felon for owning a car, lawnmower, garden tiller, etc., etc.

They can't do that, nor HAVE they done it. Do a little more research.
I've done a little more research, though the answer is still a little murky.

This is from Cadiz Gun Works site

The Econo Can Suppressor

"This adapter part is round in shape and has 1/2 x 28 threads. It will thread onto an oil filter for the purpose of shooting though the oil filter and working as a silencer. The adapter part is manufactured by Cadiz Gun Works, Jewett, OH and carries a registered serial number The oil filter will share the serial number of the adapter. The Econo Can Suppressor is a NFA registered product."

If the oil filter provided has the serial number of the adapter, wouldn't this mean that when you wear out the original filter and go to replace it with another that one would need to be serialized as well, hence another tax stamp.

They also sell adapters to thread onto an oil filter for the purpose of being a solvent trap.

I understand your point about making everyone a felon who happens to own a car etc and has one of these adapters, it doesn't make sense.

When this product first came out, I wanted to get one, but trying to figure out where it stands with the ATF made me rethink it. I'll just go with suppressors I already have for now.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:30 AM   #65

The adapter ships with an oil filter. That is why it carries the same serial number. It's a consumable. This adapter is already an ATF approved item. Of the thousands who already own one, I can't find a single instance where anyone has had a legal issue with replacing the can. A lot of speculation though.

I did see an interview with the inventor/proprietor of the product, and HE claims (I know, obviously not the be all/end all of the argument) that only the adaptor itself is registered. In his videos, he even switches cans regularly, showing the different performance levels of several types.

The "oil trap" adaptor...
It's the same damn thing, but looks different. Has a hex shape instead of being round... Different threading, fits AR10s and 15s, and AKs. Doesn't ship with a filter... Isn't registered...

See where this is going?

Old 03-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #66

Wink, wink, nod, nod, say no more.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:38 AM   #67

I'm digging on google myself. All I can find is speculation and claims on both ends, but no REAL proof either way.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #68

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Id have to vote for the bayonets mounted to pistols, only seen em advertized for Glocks (and Im a Glock man to the bone) WTF were they thinking? One other thing comes to mind,my Puma(Rossi)1892 came with the cheapest set of rear sights Ive seen since BB guns. Had a gunsmith put a Marble (peep inside a peep sight = hope this makes since to you guys) and now using the smallest apature I can drive nails with it and it is one of my very favorite rifles to shoot = cahmbered in .454 Casull,I mostly shoot 45 colt in it (with my handloads-455 Gr. cast held down to about 1000 fps second-I can make Gatorade bottles filled with water EXPLODE at 100 everytime) Cant shoot 454's with cast without getting some NASTY leading but shooting jacketed I can easily and safely push 250 Grn.s well over 2000 Fps with no fouling problems. For a rifle that weighs 5.5 Lb.s she is a beast and one of my favorite weapons, cost me $400 NIB from one of the greediest gun dealers in my area.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #69

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Crank Firing Devices:

Or, this... it isn't really an accessory but:

Elgin Cutlass Pistol

Old 03-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #70
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7802 Times on 4229 Posts
Likes Given: 16513

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve666
Crank Firing Devices:
That would be difficult to operate for those of us with only two hands.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄