Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Strangest, dumbest, or most useless gun accessories? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/strangest-dumbest-most-useless-gun-accessories-86110/)

MisterMcCool 03-09-2013 01:58 AM

Strangest, dumbest, or most useless gun accessories?

1 Attachment(s)
What is the strangest, dumbest, or most useless accessory ever built into or attached onto a gun?
I'll start with the coffee grinder stock. I guess it served a purpose at the time, just seems strange in current times.

deadsp0t 03-09-2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterMcCool
What is the strangest, dumbest, or most useless accessory ever built into or attached onto a gun?
I'll start with the coffee grinder stock. I guess it served a purpose at the time, just seems strange in current times.

Wow, I think this would definitely take the cake if it were a modern day weapon lol
Dang...

c3shooter 03-09-2013 02:12 AM

Well, the complaint was that troops were damaging the butts crushing coffee beans- but there were only about 6 prototypes built. There was a suggestion of 1 to a squad...

HockaLouis 03-09-2013 02:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I can only think of the anti-aircraft sights on the Arisaka at the moment tho it isn't really an accessory per se, is it? Maybe the cleaning rod in Trapdoor Springfields, and even the rod bayonet version -- they just didn't know what to do with a gun that didn't need a ramrod any more!

trip286 03-09-2013 02:34 AM

I thought of the AA sights in the Arisaka too. Novel idea. But I just can't see anyone taking down even a WWII plane with a bolt action. Maybe a lucky shot to hit the pilot.

langenc 03-09-2013 03:16 AM

Bayonet stud.

TheDesertFox 03-09-2013 04:27 AM

The pistol bayonet i've seen advertised in SGN.

MisterMcCool 03-09-2013 04:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDesertFox
The pistol bayonet i've seen advertised in SGN.

I expected that one to come up.

GeneralPatton 03-09-2013 06:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This has to be the single biggest waste of money on earth. Short of the Zombie end of the world, worthless

JonM 03-09-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis (Post 1169298)
I can only think of the anti-aircraft sights on the Arisaka at the moment tho it isn't really an accessory per se, is it? Maybe the cleaning rod in Trapdoor Springfields, and even the rod bayonet version -- they just didn't know what to do with a gun that didn't need a ramrod any more!

Shooting at aircraft wasnt done by just one guy. It was done by everyone with a firearm. It was quite effective when done by a lot at one time. We lost a lot of planes to groumd fire.

Cleaning rods are still issued with firearms today. Its not just for ramming a bullet onto black powder

Early ww1 there was a lack of blade makers to keep up with need so the rod bayonet was born. It wasnt ideal but it met the criteria of a pointed object to stick in the enemy when they got in your trenches.