Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Steel Walking Targets?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1613 Times on 842 Posts
Likes Given: 1303

Default Steel Walking Targets?

Has anyone tried, or use, walking targets like these? They get further away with each hit.

http://www.rollingsteeltargets.com/
creeper-walking-targets.jpg   crawler-walking-targets.jpg   impact-walking-target.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-29-2012, 03:38 AM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6746 Times on 4075 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

No, I haven't tried one and I didn't even know they exist.

I WANT ONE!!!

Old 10-29-2012, 04:39 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I saw one similar to the last one in your post at a Gun Show last year.
The guy selling them said that he and his friends would race them, shooting them with .22 rifles.
He would set up 3 or 4 targets and the first shooter to get his to go some arbitrary distance and across a finish line won.
They look simple enough to make and maybe this winter I will have the time to weld a couple up.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #4

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

You can get self healing plastic balls that are lot of fun. The local golf course will give me all the broken balls I care to shoot for free. Those targets will eventually get warped and quit rolling. If they are real cheap I would consider it. Sooner or later you are going to hit a metal target in the wrong place to many times and it will quit functioning. I have a yard full of them.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6746 Times on 4075 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
You can get self healing plastic balls that are lot of fun. The local golf course will give me all the broken balls I care to shoot for free. Those targets will eventually get warped and quit rolling. If they are real cheap I would consider it. Sooner or later you are going to hit a metal target in the wrong place to many times and it will quit functioning. I have a yard full of them.

What are "self healing plastic balls"?

Old 10-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1613 Times on 842 Posts
Likes Given: 1303

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
What are "self healing plastic balls"?

I've got a 'Cube' & a 'Top Hat' I hang from a shepard's hook with a chain or toss on the ground. The 'Top Hat' bounces more than the 'Cube' with a .22lr. The 'Cube' is easier to hit with the 9mm. I'm going to drill a hole through the center of the 'Cube' and hang it with a rope so I can use it inside over the winter.

Neither 'clang' when hit, but there is very little risk of ricochet. I've got a few hundred rounds on both and they're still good.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #7

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Winds of Change you can pick up a self healing spinner that is my favorite. I like a spinner without a balance weight. When you hit it the target spins and where it stops no one knows. I like the challenge. Lot's of times you only have less than an inch to shoot at. The idea is to keep shooting it until you stand the target back up. Avoid shooting it with hollow points (larger than 22 LR) and shotgun slugs and they will last a couple years. I have four right now two are well over a year old. The other two I got last spring for my Bday. I shoot at least 550 rounds of 22 ammo into them every month, 100 357 mag rounds and no telling how many 9mm rounds. That is not counting how many times my wife and friends shoot them. I got my spinners at WalMart for about $20 each.

I finally found a picture of one

I also have a bunch of metal spinners I shoot with the pellet gun. I don't even know how many pelet gun targets I have. In the spring when hunting season is done and no one knows what to do with themselves we make a course through the woods kind of like sporting clays. Then a bunch of people come over and we shoot the course for $5 a person winner take all. We have as many as 30 people a round for the first month or so. We get more shooters when a CMP or Appleseed group joins in with us. Usually by June the heat takes all the fun out of it.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-29-2012 at 06:38 PM.